Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for Creatives to Interview!

Looking for Creatives to Interview! 11 months 3 weeks ago #39308

Hi all!

I'm thinking of making a low budget documentary on fellow artists with aphantasia like myself and would love to do a few interviews in the greater Los Angeles area this summer! (I can also probably record Skype interviews with your permission, of course).

If interviews are not possible due to various circumstances, would anyone be willing to fill out a questionnaire about your creative process. Your responses can remain anonymous and will be used for some sort of animated video, photo essay, gallery, or article if the documentary doesn't work out.

Thank you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for Creatives to Interview! 11 months 3 weeks ago #39324

• serena_97
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I am a writer (well a want to be, still in college, un-published writer) and I have total aphantasia. I cannot recall or create anything sensory in my head, though I love to write and create detailed imagery. People in my writing classes say that I uses really good sensory details, and create vivid imagery that they can see clearly in their heads, but I have never seen/heard/felt/ anything that I have created. Because I cannot remember things in senses my mind works in words and feelings. I cannot recall what my mother's face looks like but at any moment I could describe it down to every detail. I have no picture of her in my mind, all is darkness, but I have compilations of words and descriptions that are just there. I think that my aphantasia has actually helped me in my writing.

Looking for Creatives to Interview! 11 months 2 weeks ago #39339

Hello! Quick question, when it comes to character and scene exploration and/or development, what is your process for deciding how things should look like? Or maybe, what guides you when creating detailed imagery for your work? I'm a visual artist, and while I cannot see how the end result of my work will look like, I tend to use my intuition and trial and error until it "looks right" or "feels about done" when creating. Thank you!

Looking for Creatives to Interview! 11 months 6 days ago #39345

• serena_97
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I guess I sort of just sort of let words just flow out in a way that sounds good to me. I don't really have something in mind more than a general idea. The details just kind of come to me and I read over it until the words sound good to me. I do a ton of reading, and of course I can't see the imagery from books in my head, but I feel how the imagery would feel if I was to actaully see it, or maybe even to a stronger degree. When I write I try to paint a picture to produce emotions rather than images, though to those who have a mind's eye, images come across as well.

Looking for Creatives to Interview! 11 months 2 days ago #39357

• Dove
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello there. I'm not in Los Angeles and not an artist, but I do have Skype and I have always thought of myself as highly creative and use this creativity in my personal and work lives. You've made me think about how I exercise my creativity and my first thoughts are that I use a similar process for visual work and written work, which I do a lot of.

Quick explanation. I've recently moved into a 1970's house and had no furniture and few belongings. I was daunted by the blank canvas the house represented. Then a friend suggested instead of hitting Ikea that I find 1970's stuff for the house. So I went off looking and the first thing that caught my eye was a beautiful 1950's walnut veneer sideboard which I bought. I then went looking for china and glass trying to find stuff that went with the sideboard. I now have a growing collection of mid-century gold trimmed china and amber glassware. as the collection grows I've been culling the stuff that doesn't fit and the room is now really showing some personality and everyone comments when they visit.

So, presented with a blank canvas I struggle. I find it hard to imagine what I'm going to do. Once I start putting things down I then can 'see' what I'm creating and I gain pace and am off developing whatever it is I'm creating, a 90 page business proposal, a new room in my house, a video research project I am running etc.

What you have made me think is that because I don't have that image in my head I create it externally and then do my creativity externally. This now makes me realise that I have worked out all sorts of strategies to get this external 'canvas' started and developed to a point where I can just fly with it. It also explains why sitting at a desk and telling myself that I 'will write that report' is counterproductive.

Does this make sense?
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds