Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My life with Aphantasia

My life with Aphantasia 3 years 8 months ago #1364

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
So, I posted this in another thread but it's probably more beneficial here. I made this small 2-min video pretty quickly to describe at least part of my experience with Aphantasia. Let me know if your experience is similar, or different in small ways, or whatever!
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My life with Aphantasia 3 years 8 months ago #1462

nice work! I like the way you made the video! I have something similar in mind for my video.

My life with Aphantasia 3 years 6 months ago #1981

• Lokilukas
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I don't get that. I can't visualise a memory like that at all. For me, it's like having a dos based system in my head that can only feed back data and not visual imagery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldonia.Frank

My life with Aphantasia 3 years 6 months ago #1983

• PeteG
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Same here. The only way I remember ANYTHING about a visual is to note important aspects of it while I'm looking at it and memorize the resulting words. So if I look at a person, for instance, and say to myself "blonde hair, blue eyes, slim build, tall," I will remember those words. I will remember nothing whatever about the person that I didn't specifically notice and reduce to words in that way. Similarly, if I see a license plate and want to remember the number, I need to read it to myself, and I will remember the recited letters and numbers that became part of my inner monologue. But if I don't SAY THEM TO MYSELF, but merely look at the plate (no matter for how long), I will not be able to summon it up later.

What's interesting is that I can learn to recognize a person when I see them again, so obviously the visual data is stored somewhere. I just can't directly access it.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by PeteG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldonia.Frank, Experien
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds