Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: It is a blessing!

It is a blessing! 1 year 4 months ago #2870

• mikef
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
So, I'm poor at art, vaguely dyslexic, and have a poor memory for people and faces. I very rarely dream..

But I don't mind one bit. I'm happily married, have a beautiful boy, a good job. When I go and see beautiful things they are always better than I ever imagined, (and that includes my family too).

It has other upsides too, but they are usually about escaping the dark thing that happen in everybody's life (e..g not reliving traumatic events) so not really nice to talk about, deeply personal and different for everybody.

The ability to live firmly in the present, and not bothered by 'fake' imaginary places in the future and past is great. We get to see reality as it is!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

It is a blessing! 1 year 4 months ago #3003

• Sophie
  • New Aphantasiac
  • What am I supposed to write here?
  • Thank you received: 7
You are right on this point.

But its hard to try to recall the face of a person who died and you're not having a pircture off, for example.
On the other side, its awesome when a person is telling a disgusting story and everybody is shaking because of the imagines in their head :P

It is a blessing! 1 year 4 months ago #3014

• Ethel B
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 12
I was thinking about this the other night! In high school boys would always try to gross out the girls to get a reaction. My best friend would scream and yell and gag and I always thought she was being overly dramatic. Things that would make her choke or run away, I just shrugged at them. This aphantasia ain't all bad!

It is a blessing! 1 year 4 months ago #3126

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
This is not the case for me. I have PTSD and OCD, it's just not visual (except in dreaming). Also I am easily grossed out/creeped out etc etc, again, I'm not seeing anything that's described, it's different. Like how people can "have the concept of a square" but not -see- the square... I guess.

I think the inability to be bothered by stuff is entirely seperate, as I know tons of people who -are- visualizers, but are immune to things like gross descriptions, etc etc.
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~

It is a blessing! 11 months 4 weeks ago #4487

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
'We get to see reality as it is!'

It often seems to me that others often do NOT want to see reality and may think I am being cruel if I call them on their illusions... I have tried to work on being gentle in this kind of situation, but never realized how FULL and OVERLOADED they might be with all kinds of inner pictures and conclusions from their pictures...

It is a blessing! 5 months 3 weeks ago #5153

• Pagoenig
  • New Aphantasiac
I agree! Every time I go back to Montana for vacation the mountains are always spectacular. I have no mental image to gauge the size by, so when I see them again they always look so large and magnificent.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Pagoenig.

It is a blessing! 4 months 6 days ago #39232

• eckleburgs eyes
  • New Aphantasiac
i agree with the poeple who don't get grossed out by things because they can't visualize it. i never understood why people didn't like talking about gross topics while eating for instance.

But i do have some kind of "flashbulb memories" where i kind of remember vague details about the memory. i wouldn't pretend to have anything like PTSD, but about 4 years ago i was at the beach (i am a former lifeguard) and i helped give CPR to an unconscious male who was dragged out of the water. The man died and for a while after i couldn't help but remember the man's vague face with foam coming out of his mouth while his family was wailing nearby. Sorry to be too graphic. This experience allows me to be sympathetic to CanISee. My memory of the event has faded, hopefully you can find solace in time.

It is a blessing! 1 month 3 weeks ago #39378

• August
  • New Aphantasiac
While I do agree that I don't think of Aphantasia as negative (except maybe for someone who had the ability then lost it), I'm the same as CANISEE. I don't have the ability to visualize while I'm awake, I do see images in dreams, not sure if the distinction matters. But the same way I KNOW what my house looks like I'm able to be grossed out etc. I can conjure memories without images. Strings of connected words. The further away (time, not distance) a memory is it gets harder to remember, but the right trigger word or event will bring it back.

A completely fictional character made up in a book is where I struggle. Or trying to understand something I've never experienced or seen an image of.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds