Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mental health issues

Mental health issues 11 months 1 week ago #4819

• Caz0430
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
I have been having problems with my mental health, especially depression in the last few years. Therapists haven't been much help as they always want to do visualization techniques that I can't accomplish due to my life with aphantasia. After much research I think may I have borderline and avoidant personality disorders (previously misdiagnosed as bipolar) and was wondering if all of it might be related to a miswiring of my brain. Wondering what the prevalence rates are like for BPD in people born with aphantasia, as I was. Recently read a book (I hate you / don't leave me) while researching BPD that shows a possible connection between object constancy (if someone/somethings not there it's gone forever) in early childhood as a possible link to splitting (black and white/all or nothing thinking) in people with this condition and was thinking that the inability to internally visualize someone that's missing as a coping mechanism may increase this. As both my parents are nurses they were constantly working long hours and I was raised as much by my maternal grandparents as my parents and so was thinking this could be one possible instigator of my condition
Just a thought, but this may be a good subject for further research..
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage, JessicaG

Mental health issues 11 months 1 week ago #4823

• Mabexlee324
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Try meditating for long periods of time. I know it sounds boring but play some music kick back and reflect on yourself. I went through a troubling time in my life and I turned to meditation and it has given me so much light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caz0430

Mental health issues 11 months 1 week ago #4825

• Caz0430
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Thank you for the advice, this is something I have been doing a lot of lately.. I am a very introspective person by nature, and have been doing this research as a way to know myself and understanding my problems.. My depression is more linked to my luck in life than anything else, my personality disorders just exaggerate the problem.. Began 6 years ago when my wife at the time had to have back surgery and my loss of steady employment from the economy. Then 5 years ago I had a surgery for a lung issue that has left me with chronic painful muscle spasms. Later that same year my wife left me after I was back to work and I began seeking a mortgage modification to keep my house after the divorce. The same day I received the final paperwork the company I was working for declared bankruptcy. Had an altercation with my parents and the police resulting in criminal charges while I was in a suicidal state which triggered my borderline rage, then another altercation with my parents a year after that which resulted in my exwife not letting me see my son for the last 3 years. I began working for a friend who was trying to restart his company after the recession and during this period I have been doing this research on myself and had been doing much better until last year when both of my best friends died in about a three month span. I managed to keep myself together through this loss because of my work which had become my primary coping mechanism. However a few months ago my physical health took another downturn, this time I think it was my heart or the other lung, not sure which as I have no trust in the medical establishment and wouldn't seek treatment and because of my depression spent almost three months just waiting to die. Finally began getting some relief of the physical symptoms but am now unemployed again and still not able to do much of anything before chest pains set in. It is getting better but very slowly, hope to be able to look for a new job soon but right now just feel worthless and worried about pushing myself too hard and relapsing the physical problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

Mental health issues 8 months 4 weeks ago #5027

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Thank you for sharing. Very sorry you have so much pain. Trying to balance out so many existential things is very difficult and draining, especially since the new found balances do not necessarily stay stable for long before the next balancing act is upon us... Sending some luck and healing your way!

Mental health issues 4 months 6 days ago #39343

• elissawilliams
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Enjoying mental health means having a sense of well being, being able to function during everyday life and feeling assured to increase to a challenge when the opportunity occurs. Just like your wellness, there are actions you can take to enhance your mental health.

Its various benefits for Mental Health Advice are as follows.

1. Take time to enjoy.
2. Participate and share interests.
3. Take care of yourself.
4. Challenge yourself.
5. Deal with stress.
6. Take sufficient sleep and rest
The following user(s) said Thank You: ussfa344
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds