Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Recognising people and listening

Recognising people and listening 1 year 4 months ago #3821

• AlbanJ
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I've always been bad at recognising people, if someone changes hair style or even clothes I often don't recognise them. Could this be related to aphantasia? I'm somewhat better at it now, but in the past has caused problems, particularly when people become pissed off because I'm not quite sure who they are, which can result in me ignoring people I actually know.

Another issue is that while I gave good hearing I'm bad at identifying sounds. This means that in a noisy environment I can't follow a conversation, and even in a quieter environment I only understand probably 95% of what is said to me on average, less if the person isn't speaking very clearly.

I'm a rather unemotional person, and relate reasonably well to computers. Could this be related also?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Recognising people and listening 1 year 4 months ago #3870

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
Along with you, I have am tone deaf, but i can recognized sounds as soon as it is played. Within 3 cords of a song on the radio I know which song it is. (as long as I have head it a few times)

People change, well I recognize it easily, this might be do to the fact that I embraced my inability to see things visually at a young age and relied on patterns to make since of things. On a side note, people should not be so full of themselves when other don't notice the small things they do different.

Emotions... not sure honestly, something I don't see asked much is about Aphantasia and Empath relationships. I have been described as an empath, family history of it being strong, so I don't know if its just me but I'm highly emotional. It may be just a mixture of two forms of existence but really don't know other cases like my own.

Recognising people and listening 1 year 4 months ago #3891

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
AlbanJ wrote:
I've always been bad at recognising people, if someone changes hair style or even clothes I often don't recognise them. Could this be related to aphantasia? I'm somewhat better at it now, but in the past has caused problems, particularly when people become pissed off because I'm not quite sure who they are, which can result in me ignoring people I actually know.

People with prosopagnosia develop coping skills, which can make is seem like we are finding it easier to recognize people. We don't recognize their faces, we recognize other characteristics such as gait, voice, familiar location, dress, hair styles and other mannerisms. These coping skills do indeed improve over time.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Recognising people and listening 1 year 4 months ago #3903

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
I recognise people, no problem. I can't describe them to others though, apart from obvious ones like my wife and children although even there I couldn't go much beyond eye colour and hair colour. I just realise I don't know the eye colour of my mother however or anyone else for that matter. Or my youngest daughter. Bluish I suppose. I know if someone is blond or a redhead or has black hair. I can't see it in my mind, I just know it. I have trouble with all the parents in school, or classmates of my children, apart from their close friends, but surely that is normal for everyone. I also have trouble following a conversation when another conversation is going on at the same time or when I am in a noisy environment. Somehow that doesn't feel related to aphantasia though. I am also rather level emotionwise although I experience flares of anger and can enjoy a good laugh. I am not at all emphatic though and I don't get indignant at all.

Recognising people and listening 1 year 4 months ago #3905

• AlbanJ
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Wow Tilma, we're almost identical! I've never come across anyone like us before. It's nice to not be alone, and not feel bad when told I'm just being lazy/not paying attention when I don't recognise people.

I've got 2 daughters, the only reason I know their eye colour is because as children they compared their eyes with mine and my wife's.

Recognising people and listening 11 months 4 weeks ago #4769

• BlindInMyMind
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
I have difficulties recognizing other people, too. Did you do the prosopagnosia test?

I identify most people just for reasons of logic... For example, I know at work who is working in the building and thus know when I meet someone that (a) it is likely a colleague, (b) a woman, (c) age around 30, (d) brown hair, (e) particular style of clothing, (f) particular way of moving, (g) other characteristics (e.g. smiley face) = 95% chance that it is colleague X. I am still always surprised how people actually look like when I meet them and look in their face. But I got used to the feeling of being surprised all the time. I think I am very good at remembering how people like to dress (what colors they prefer, etc.) and how people move. This helps a lot. When people are sitting on a chair, it is more difficult recognizing them as compared to seeing them walking along the corridor.

All best, Martina
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds