Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Those with PTSD and Aphantasia

Those with PTSD and Aphantasia 1 year 5 months ago #39696

• Beaudette
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello all!

I am new on here. I am A psychology student with almost total Aphantasia. I also happen to have PTSD and a repressed history of trauma.

I have a thought that Aphantasia may affect visual flashbacks in those with PTSD. Is there anyone else here who has PTSD and is only capable of having emotional flashbacks, and not visual? Is there anyone who DOES still get visual flashbacks?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Those with PTSD and Aphantasia 1 year 5 months ago #39698

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 32
I have never had an emotional or visual flashback. I have had flashbacks from psychedelics that invoke the "trippyness" of a psychedelic experience.
The only two memories I have of visualizing as a child were "traumatic." One was an episode where, having been smashed in the face with a ball on the playground, I was seeing the ball repeatedly flying towards my face when I closed my eyes. The other was while standing at the top of a steep hill, preparing to run down it, I "saw" myself run down the hill and fall at the bottom. I was standing at the top the whole time, my eyes were open, and then I actually ran down the hill, and ate shit.

Those with PTSD and Aphantasia 1 year 5 months ago #39700

• tunie
  • New Aphantasiac
New here also. Have total Aphantasia and PTSD, no flashbacks. I am a Vietnam vet and have been aware of my PTSD for quite some time, have never sort help for post traumatic syndrome as life is not fair and I deal with this with in my own way.

Those with PTSD and Aphantasia 1 year 4 months ago #39813

• AE
  • New Aphantasiac
I have ptsd and aphantasia, never had flashbacks but I get triggered by hearing f.eks sounds.

Those with PTSD and Aphantasia 1 year 3 weeks ago #40084

• JOHNNEL
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello I suffer with ptsd and flashbacks however they are only clearly visible with my eyes open. It’s like having a filter on my vision that contains the image but when I close my eyes I see nothing. I also have scintillating Scotoma that seems to be related to ectopic beats that my heart adds.
Still awaiting counselling after two years badgering my gp.

Those with PTSD and Aphantasia 1 month 1 week ago #40158

• presbyopic
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I hope you have had some satisfaction now with your doctor JOHNNEL

I too have suffered PTSD but not seen any visual flashbacks. It is was always something visual, in real time, that used to cause my issues. Interesting about the visual migraines, I have had them with and without the migraines.
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds