Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Canada

Canada 2 years 6 days ago #2089

• KevinBennett
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
I live in Victoria, BC. Is there anybody else living in Western Canada on here?

CBC Radio Interview - Canadian man studied by Zeman for lack of a minds eye!
It was a seemingly mundane moment when Tom Ebeyer learned he had aphantasia -- the lack of a "mind's eye". Ebeyer, a 25-year-old from Waterloo, Ont. was talking to his partner. The couple had just met with a friend they hadn't seen for several months. His partner mentioned that the friend was wearing the same thing she had worn the last time they met. Ebeyer was shocked. How could his partner conjure up the year-old memory in such detail?

(October 6, 3015)

Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by KevinBennett.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canada 1 year 11 months ago #2162

• Babs
  • New Aphantasiac
Hey there,

Fellow Victorian here. How long have you known? I found out a few years ago when i stumbled upon the 2010 discover article.

-Ben

Canada 1 year 5 months ago #3430

• 5er
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm in Abbotsford
:)

Canada 1 year 5 months ago #3434

• WaterDancer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I live near Cornwall, Ontario..... I first found out about this from an article in BBC.... I had known I was at least partially color blind for years and thought that had something to do with not being able to remember details.... After reading the article and then talking to others about the details they could remember compared to what I could remember I realized that I really couldn't remember any details visually as in my minds eye.... What I could remember was based on just remembering that the person had dark hair or not.... This has been especially troubling when a girl friend gets upset because I didn't notice that she had her hair done....

I am still processing this and wondering and realizing at the same time how much this has affected my life.... It has had some advantages apparently because I can "see" things others don't and have become known as a very good troubleshooter and problem solver when others are stuck for a solution... That is a double edged sword though because I also don't see what others are seeing all too often and don't see it their way which leaves me on the sidelines until they are stuck and then they ask me for help.....

Canada 1 year 4 months ago #3913

• stu204
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
Winnipeg Manitoba, just came across this today while listening to an interview about it on Quirks and Quarks.

Canada 1 year 4 months ago #4107

• JM
  • New Aphantasiac
Hey There,

Toronto here. I first read about it when it came up on my Facebook feed in an I f**king love science article. I didn't get a chance to finish the article and then forgot the name of the condition so I could look it up later.

It wasn't until last week when I put on the Quirks and Quarks pod cast that I realized that this was me - I was floored. It explained so much.

I read that some other people were diagnosed with dyslexia as a kid but never felt that it was a good fit for them. This happened to me too.

Nice to meet you all.

Canada 11 months 1 week ago #4834

• jman5436
  • New Aphantasiac
I'm currently in Vancouver. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a brain scan? I'm wondering if there's a way to see the difference between a 'regular person' and 'one of us'.
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by jman5436.

Canada 8 months 3 weeks ago #5054

• zoomerli
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Salt Spring Island, BC here
Found out about a year ago from a podcast (reply all)
Blew my mind, started telling everyone I knew... And literally like three people believed me. It took a good three months to get even my girlfriend to believe me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

Canada 8 months 3 weeks ago #5057

• presbyopic
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Australia ;)

Canada 8 months 2 weeks ago #5068

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Zoomerli: Many people do not believe for a while, nor ever really will and then mostly forget about it. If/when they do, they think of us as faulty in some or many ways. Don't you believe them! We can have a wide variety of insights and skills that they never may! It is just not their own experience, so they can't necessarily get it...
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Blackstage.

Canada 8 months 2 weeks ago #5085

• repose
  • New Aphantasiac
Checking in from Edmonton AB.
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds