Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: My story

My story 9 months 1 week ago #5175

• Martha
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I understand that my inability to use my mental imagery is the result of a childhood trauma. Various energy practitioners have confirmed this.

But my question now is about memory. Professor Zeman's questionnaire asked about my memory, which surprised me at the time. But in fact I have very little memory of my childhood or indeed my whole life. Everything more than a couple of months ago is jumbled in my head. My children have to tell me when we vacationed where and if I liked it.

Does anyone else identify with this?

Martha
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Martha.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tilma, tunie

My story 9 months 1 week ago #5207

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
Yes. Absolutely.

My story 9 months 4 days ago #5213

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 10
Oh yes! Me, too! Too much, too often, too in-depth and intricate of a topic to write about right now! Will try to get back later with more.

Main comfort is the opposite ability to 'peel off the past' and ' live in the 'now' , feel intensely in the now, slow down and recognize and embrace the tiny bits of beauty and happiness that pop up in life...

My story 1 month 2 weeks ago #39699

• tunie
  • New Aphantasiac
I can identify with your experience very well, Martha. I too had a trauma very early in life, a fever of 107 degrees as an infant. I am 68 years old now, so this accrued in the year 1950. My mother relates that I was tested for brain activities with normal results, no test then and perhaps even know for mind eye functionality.

In school I struggled, did poorly but not from lack of trying. Memorization of study lessons was all but impossible. With math I did quite well, with other subjects I could not retain what I read which meant low grades.

Dr. Zamens works came through as a Godsend. Finally a label to identify this condition, a name "Aphantasia"...This is so important as this is the most important step, the first very step to lead to UNDERSTANDING...
Peace

My story 1 month 10 hours ago #39741

• jonesplus
  • New Aphantasiac
absolutely identify. My standard reply to snippets of memory is - oh a couple of years ago, when in fact it may be a decade or longer. I was always fascinated that my sister could remember years, months and days(!) for events and occurrences. Like you, I believe there was a childhood trauma that was never spoken of when I was a child. The belief was least said soonest mended. Not until I was in my 20's was I made aware in a not nice way by the perpetrator but I chose not to explore. I'm in my 60's now.

My story 3 weeks 5 days ago #39769

• sam_65
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I can relate to this completely.
Personally I always put my lack of mental imagery and poor imagination and recollection down to the use of Marijuana when I was a teenager. I only used it recreationally but thought that's what did the damage.
Having looked into it more I feel I have always had Aphantasia. I have never been able to draw or do anything creative and I drive my wife mad when she asks me to remember holidays we have had or picture how the house would look after redecoration. She often asks if I think items will suit the house ("Do you think this will match the front room" etc) and I have never been able to picture it to answer honestly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martha

sam_65 3 weeks 5 days ago #39771

• Martha
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes, and I feel simpleminded because I cannot recall what I have read or hold my own in a discussion. Also your comment about not being creative rings so true. Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds