Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: Hi, I'm pretty sure I have aphantasia, possibly a milder form?

Hi, I'm pretty sure I have aphantasia, possibly a milder form? 8 months 1 week ago #5075

• nyxinax
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello everyone! So, I discovered that I have aphantasia when I looked at one of those facebook articles, just a click-bait type thing. But then as I was reading, the shock hit. Wait a sec, when people say "picture it in your mind"... they literally are asking you to picture it? To see it? To hold it there and examine? I've never been able to do that. Growing up, when teachers would tell us to visualize something I just assumed they meant to concentrate on it and try to figure it out. The article talked about people with aphantasia couldn't picture things in their minds, but could often still dream vividly like everyone else. And I absolutely can. I have really off the wall, vivid dreams. And I couldn't believe that some people can just conjure that type of imagery up in their heads at will. I started asking everyone if they could visual, if it was similar to a dream for them. My husband said it's like pictures for him, and he can sift through them. My best friend told me she can think of something and it's sort of like a movie playing. When I try to conjure an imagine in my head, it's like a flash, behind a hazy grey screen. The more I concentrate on it the quicker it goes away. It's just so so weird to realize that most people aren't like that. I think it's milder for me than some because I can call some images to mind, if only for a moment. But I know my husband has blue eyes because I know he has blue eyes, not because I can picture his blue eyes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hi, I'm pretty sure I have aphantasia, possibly a milder form? 8 months 1 week ago #5079

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
Your experience sounds a lot like many others on this site. I regularly have very visual and clear dreams, but they're usually "real lifelike."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds