Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: 56 and thought everyone was like me

56 and thought everyone was like me 1 year 1 week ago #4762

• THDavis
  • New Aphantasiac
;) For 56 years I thought that everyone else was being a little over imaginative UNTIL I saw an article on the web. I started asking questions and then it all became clear. I think back to being 11 and the art teacher telling us to draw something, anything, and I just sat there not knowing what to draw. Getting annoyed the teacher told me to scribble on the paper and then look for pictures within the scribbles. I of course saw nothing but scribbles, even when he started to draw objects he was seeing. I have asked many people and they all seem to have a mind's eye. Just my luck, no mind's eye and tone deaf. Nice to know that there are others like me out there.
Trevor H. Davis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

56 and thought everyone was like me 11 months 3 weeks ago #4798

• Petee
  • New Aphantasiac
Wow. You just described me! I am 56 years of age and heard somebody describe this on the radio (CBC in Canada).

Before that I had no idea that everyone else saw real pictures in their mind. The thought had never occurred to me.

I was driving home and almost drove off the road.

When I arrived at home, I asked everyone there (we had company at the time) what they saw.

I was gobsmacked when everyone said they actually have a picture in their mind that they can see!

It explains why I have always had difficulty doing art. Like you, I have memories in Primary school of thinking i had very little imagination. I also wondered how people could get through books like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones when there was so much description.

Thanks for the post!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds