Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: So... 2 Days Ago...

So... 2 Days Ago... 11 months 2 weeks ago #4533

• FuzzyPickle
  • New Aphantasiac
So, 2 days ago, I was in psychology class, and the professor was lecturing about which part of the brain performs which function. She starts to discuss visual messages and says, "When you bring up a picture in your mind of your bedroom, for instance, these are images that your brain has already stored." I became interested in this conversation. Were people actually SEEING images? When I got home that night, I asked my husband what he saw and gave him a few examples. I told him I only see black. He said he does not see it with his eyes but it is "with his brain". I asked him to clarify and asked him, "But is it in color? Are you seeing an actual THING or are you just THINKING ABOUT IT?" and he said, "No, I'm... like right now, I'm thinking about a banana and I'm visualizing an actual yellow banana in my brain. A yellow banana just popped up there for me to look at."

I guess we just see what we see and we never really think about it. When people say, "Picture a beach", I just thought everyone was looking at black and thinking of a beach. I've always been shit at faces. I introduce myself to people I've met already. I worry that I'll have to assist the police in doing a composite sketch because I don't think I'd be able to help catch a family member's killer or something like that but I am IN-SANE at remembering names when it does not come to matching them with faces. I am the opposite of most people in that most people say they do not ever forget a face but cannot remember a name. I can remember your name, your dog's name, your mom's name, and the name of the street you live on, but I can not remember what you look like.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

So... 2 Days Ago... 11 months 22 hours ago #4635

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
Personally bad with names, I'm glad its not an aphantasia thing to be bad with them :).
I have the same issue, but I can remember construct well. I could tell you what will fit in any space just by looking at it, but I don't picture anything in my head. Time is also something I'm IN-Sane about, its easy to slow down so I can embrace a moment, or speed up to get through something I don't want to be in.
Its strange none the less seeing which abilities we have, There are so many like your name remembering that has come up and I am amazed that most Aphantasians say they are masters at it.

So... 2 Days Ago... 10 months 3 weeks ago #4649

• ingenious
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I am the same, I am complete usually pretty crappy with names. Takes me a couple times. however just because I do not see the face in my head I almost never forget a face or where I saw said face before. I literally just discovered the term Aphantasia a couple days ago and it blew my mind that this was a thing. Glad I am not the only one that has this complete lack of visualizations/smells etc.

I also hardly remember any of my dreams and am guessing it is largely to do with Aphantasia? If I do remember a dream it's usually extremely vivid as though I am living it out as real as life itself until moments before I wake up then it becomes an out of body experience and I realize I am literally watching myself and what I am doing and what going on around me ...sort of like Lakitu the cloud dude that follows Mario around in Super Mario 64 hahaha

So... 2 Days Ago... 10 months 2 weeks ago #4674

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
That's interesting to have an extreme version of phantasia Right after waking up. personally don't dream. I'm always conscious time slows when I sleep so its not like everyone describes it passing fast. Feels like days sometimes. Once went to sleep at a friends house and slept hard not sure if it was the thanksgiving turkey that kept me "asleep" so long, but it was like 12 hours. when I came to, I completely forgot I was at my friends house. during my sleep, I was working on an understanding of perfection, long and drawn out, but was able to simplify it that night to the point I found my peace with it.

None the less, its been nothing but empowering the more I've accepted it and developed it.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds