Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: I'm Aphantastic?

I'm Aphantastic? 1 year 6 months ago #39683

• Kip
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Okay so I'm a fourteen year old girl and I first realized this after googling 'can't imagine things'. I had an epiphany. I didn't realize people could imagine things like that. I can't imagine things, images, tastes, smells, etc. I asked my family and my dad said he couldn't see things in his mind either.

I'm unsure if I have it though, because sometimes very faintly I can remember something, it can't be something complicated or large though. But the image never sticks and I can get the basic gist of it.

I can't really imagine sounds. When I try to imagine sounds it's more like my voice mimicking those sounds in my mind. Like when I try to imagine the sound of an alarm clock it's my voice going 'BEEP BEEP BEEP' or I completely butcher the iPhone ringtone in my head because I don't remember it very well.

I had a therapist who had me do EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) for social anxiety disorder and I had to imagine times I felt anxious and say what it was. I was so confused but I went with it, I said I imagine things, but I didn't. It was more like I was having conversations with myself.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W, tunie

I'm Aphantastic? 1 year 6 months ago #39684

• Sitrus
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi!
That definitely sounds like aphantasia! There are various degrees of it and not everyone has total aphantasia; being able to occasionally imagine something vague isn't the same as not having aphantasia. : )
on a stroll
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds