Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: Not Sure How to Move On

Not Sure How to Move On 2 months 4 weeks ago #39410

• merryride
  • New Aphantasiac
As someone who has been diagnosed with autism for two years but has lived without knowing it had actually applied to me my whole life, I only realized the existence of the term 'aphantasia'. I am a high functioning autistic man who had to drop out of college because I became completely lost and unmotivated in whatever I had even began with. Fortunately, I was able to become part of the CIP (College Internship Program) at Long Beach. I do believe that I have improved a lot due to their services, but I only recently come to another roadblock because I come to realize that I truly had an inability to look through my mind's eye. I was talking to my career counselor and we were looking at new goals to make for the new term. I explained that I am aphantasiac and I had the inability to imagine anything in my mind. Although I was told that I had to practice visualizing, I had come to a conundrum. How would I practice visualizing and, even if possible, how would I move on with or without success?

There are other peers in the same program as I am who are fully capable to indulge in their imagination which I do feel envious and curious in its process.

This discovery is definitely much different to that of my autism since it is something that is much apparent and well understood.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Not Sure How to Move On 2 months 3 weeks ago #39443

• Bachy
  • New Aphantasiac
Hey Merry.
Everything starts somewhere. Maybe we just need to give someone a little prompting to have this explored a little more. Which I intend to do - one of our family friends is a Neurologist, a very good one, with a strong interest in research. I've been tossing this up for a while but I think I should talk to him about it. He may have some insights to share, or at the very least he'll be attracted to the idea of new papers in a new area.

It's good to hear you're high functioning autistic, you're managing with other hurdles and this should present you no real issues. :)

Regards,

Not Sure How to Move On 2 months 3 weeks ago #39447

• merryride
  • New Aphantasiac
I have been able to talk about it thoroughly with my therapist and I was told that visualizing is not just trying to imagine moving pictures. It can also be putting down information or details that one can fully see or understand on a visible piece of medium.

Being autistic does not absolutely guarantee one of having aphantasia. I have several peers who are able to daydream or use their imagination to create art. I accepted being autistic even after my diagnosis because, at that point in time, I had believe that I had needed help despite the beliefs of my parents. However, in the case for aphantasia, it appeared to be more daunting as it affected my long-term judgment and goal making as I am incapable of ever voluntarily dreaming. I just feel like I have one less way to actually connect with people who are able to live on without aphantasia.
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds