Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your story of discovery

TOPIC: 60 and just found out

60 and just found out 1 year 10 months ago #1958

• Derek
  • New Aphantasiac
For years I've heard of the term, "mind's eye". I always agreed with people who used this phrase because I just thought of it as a memory . A memory of a person, a place and even a special holiday destination. I can remember where I was but can't see it. I've now been told that people see pictures and videos in colour. I haven't felt at a disadvantage as I've never known the difference. It's been about 2 months since I found out that I am in the minority. My wife of 32 years and both of my grown up children are amazed and feel sorry for me that I don't have this ability. A few weeks after finding out about aphantasia and the fact that I obviously have it, my wife and I lost a long loved pet of 14 years. It was when we spoke of him that I had a flash, in colour, of the last time I saw him before he died.
I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else? Is there a possibility that we can train our brain to overcome this condition?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

60 and just found out 1 year 10 months ago #2005

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
On the forums flashes often occur for folks just before falling asleep, not sound reason as to why yet, but I had assumed it was the role the amygdala can play in dreaming and thus acting as an alternate means to visualize. But there are those who believe it can be trained, I am mucking around with it myself, not because I feel particularly deficient, I am just curious about the human brain and neuroplasticity, so I am giving it a try for fun. At the moment I am only able to muck around with afterimages, so not true visualization, but it is kind of fun inducing eye strain and such just to see what happens (have applied it to my art work recently as well, getting myself to use after images and the tendency to see the opposite color to create contrast on the canvas). Anyhow here is a link to check out, even if it does not work or pan out, the exercises are pretty relaxing, so I do the after image ones before bed (no open flame in my house, cats can't be trusted, so I used bold contrasting pictures instead of a flame). http://unchainmybrain.com/learn-to-visualize/
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

60 and just found out 1 year 9 months ago #2160

• Volty
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I can conjure up flashes in my head. Very briefly and momentarily. And not always.

The log in screen on my phone has a photo of my son's kindergarten graduation beaming proudly in his purple cap and gown.

Due to the prime location on I've see this image a dozen times every day.
Attachments:

60 and just found out 1 year 9 months ago #2161

• Volty
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I can conjure up flashes in my head. Very briefly and momentarily. And not always.

The log in screen on my phone has a photo of my son's kindergarten graduation beaming proudly in his purple cap and gown.

Due to the prime location on the phone, I
see this image a dozen times every day. I can sometimes image it, briefly, a flash. This morning I could. Right now I cannot.

60 and just found out 10 months 1 week ago #4753

• Rachel228
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi Derek!

The flash of color happens for me sometimes when I have a strong emotion. Typically extreme contentness (not so much elation) - I will see a very vivid color for just a flash of a moment. Whenever this happens it gives me an emotionally "warm" feeling, as I typically can not simulate, in my mind, any sense: visual, audio, touch, smell, nor taste.

Also, condolences on the loss of your pet. For me, a loss of something loved is especially hard, as once they are gone, I can never "see" that loved one again. Because one of my ways to "think" is based in narrative, when I have such a loss, I write a brief note to the passed loved one. I tuck the note in a wallet and when I need to "experience" that loved one, I pull out the note and read it.

Kindest regards,
Rachel
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds