Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you like reading?

Do you like reading? 8 months 3 weeks ago #5043

• INFP
  • New Aphantasiac
I was reading an article on aphantasia and was suprised to find the writer put 'Ironically, Niel now works in a bookshop, although he largely sticks to the non-fiction aisles.' Niel had talked earlier on about living with aphantasia and the author had assumed it meant he didn't enjoy reading.

This surprised me cause I love books! I have always thought it worked the other way, my world is made of words so why shouldn't I love a book? Just want to check this guy wasn't right and that it is normal to love fiction books. I also wondered if my theory was right.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you like reading? 8 months 3 weeks ago #5044

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
My world is also totally made of words - what a wonderful way to put it ! I read voraciously growing up, mostly fiction. If others could escape into their daydreams, the only thing that I had was books to compensate.

I grew up when there was no internet, etc. For pictures there was only one TV in an open living room area (no way of watching something alone without others taking note of it). The only escape was into a book. Books were my friends, the only ones I could count on. Many a book has given me vicarious experiences, playing a role in forming my character.

I also worked 4 years in a library. That author who wrote about Neil working in a bookstore, sincerely and with respect to his or her own limited perceptions, must have been writing from preconceived, stereotypical notions and basically has nothing but a vague idea about aphantasia.
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Blackstage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: INFP

Do you like reading? No 7 months 3 weeks ago #5133

• JCecorn
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
While I can read, and I do read and write a lot for work. I do not enjoy reading for entertainment. For me it is work; more work than I like to exert to relax and enjoy myself.

i've said this in another post. But, it's relevant here too. My mind is like a vast, dark warehouse. Everything I put in it needs to be filed away somewhere. There seems to be no limit to what I can store. And, it's all very detailed and organized. But, there are no vast images. In fact, I struggle to realize whether they are images at all. When I need to access a memory it's like walking with a small candle in the pitch black. Once I find what I'm looking for I have it in front of me. But, in no way do I consider it a 'mental image'. It's more like a mental report. I can read about it in detail. But, often the harder I try to imagine specific points or to mentally 'draw' an image in my head, the fuzzier and darker it gets.

When I talk to my wife and kids--all avid readers--they talk about the vivid tapestries they paint as they read. And, those paintings are persistent. At any time they can recall a story they've read and revisit the details that were painted before. When I asked why they re-read stories they say that they can just add more detail that they missed before, or fill in gaps in the painting that were not done the first time through. Or, maybe that the colors may be painted even more vibrantly. At the end of it all, they have these huge vibrant images to visit, all created through the words they've read, available at any time for reflection and review.

Since my mind does not work in imagery like that, I never created a painting to begin with. Why would I. To me that's like painting the walls in a dark room. And, further I'd never re-read a book. All the detail I've gotten has already been filed away. Maybe I could go back and insert some more detail that I missed or had forgotten. But, in large most of the story is already archived away. The time it takes to suss out any missing details is a waste of time to me. Mentally, It's like listening to someone tell a joke you've already heard the punchline too....only it takes hours or days to hear; and I'm doing it by choice. No thanks.

Do you like reading? 7 months 3 weeks ago #5139

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
I love reading too. I don't see anything ironic there. I do however dislike lengthy descriptive passages as they do nothing for me.

Do you like reading? 7 months 3 weeks ago #5152

• Pagoenig
  • New Aphantasiac
Reading and writing has always come naturally. This is also my preferred method of learning. However, I agree with Tilma. Whenever a passage goes on and on with descriptive visual crap I lose interest quickly.

Do you like reading? 7 months 1 week ago #5191

• ren
  • New Aphantasiac
generally i don't care for reading, but if the choice for learning something is between A. reading a short article or B. having to listen to some annoying person talk, i will always choose to read. i mostly read when i'm diving into subjects and for learning/teaching myself things. in this way the reading i do is more similar to research. i have a very hard time getting interested in entertainment reading of things like books, novels, etc, but when i was younger it was alright.

Do you like reading? 7 months 1 week ago #5195

• bikersurfer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
Absolutely. I love reading. And for the same reason I think you are giving: since we cannot visualize, I believe we have to be good at describing things; ergo, a need to have sufficient and appropriate words. Makes sense to me.

Conversely, the better a description of a person, place, thing, etc., in a book, the more enjoyable and understandable to us.

Do you like reading? 7 months 1 week ago #5196

• bikersurfer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
I grew up the same way, Blackstage, and mostly by encouragement from my older siblings, early developed a love for many different genres of music, even in my later years for the music from which those other styles/genres derived. And when I would ask my brother or sister about a word's meaning, they would tell me to go "look it up" in the dictionary, a habit that has stuck with me to this day. Books can be lifesaving, in a way, also. The one thing that kept me from going bonkers (besides Thorazine, I guess) when I was mustering out of the military on a medical discharge, was reading and re-reading Tolkein's Lord Of The Rings trilogy, and The Hobbit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

Do you like reading? 6 months 1 week ago #10535

• 杜明雪_85
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
The same for me. I enjoy reading both fiction and non-fiction, but dislike too descriptive fictions.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds