Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thinking in Words

Thinking in Words 11 months 2 weeks ago #4546

• QuinnTheEskimo
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
When someone says "dog," what do you think of? Obviously if you have aphantasia, you're not going to picture a dog in your mind. But do you think of a particular experience you've had with a dog? When I hear the word "dog," I think of the letters d, o , and g. That's how I think.

I realized this a year or two ago when I was thinking of my parents and realized I had thought of them as "m o m" and "d a d." I then realized it worked for every other thing that I had ever thought about. That's why I had had success in the spelling bee in middle school and junior high. From "rocking chair" to Tom Hanks, they were all just combinations of letters in my mind.

I told a few friends about it and asked them if they had experienced similar ways of thought. But they were just as shocked to learn that when someone mentioned their name, I only thought of a string of letters in a certain order.

I don't know if this has anything to do with aphantasia, like whether it was my way of making up for the lack of visual imagery in my mind. I was just wondering if others with aphantasia do this too.
"They drew first blood, not me..."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thinking in Words 11 months 2 weeks ago #4552

• Johan95
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Actually that reminds me. When I had a class in seventh grade our Swedish teacher asked us to close our eyes, then she would say something like "elephant" (but in Swedish), and then we would describe what we were thinking. When I was asked I and one of my classmates answered that we just "saw" the letters. I can't confirm if I think of letters today, since I just read this post all I think of is letters, and that would make it unfair :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds