Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do you memorize?

How do you memorize? 1 year 7 months ago #2465

• blindmind
  • New Aphantasiac
Since I was kid I have dreamed to be an astronaut someday, so now I checked how to become an astronaut, just for fun. ESA has some downloadable test material, and there is one test that baffles me a lot: memory test.

Before I tell more about the test, I'd like to say that my memory is really terrible. I have hard time memorizing about elementary/high school or my trips abroad, and actually almost everything else. And now I'm a university student. It is quite embarrassing to talk about past with my family or friends, since almost every time (s)he says "Do you remember...?" / "That time when..." I feel foolish since all I can do is to nod or to admit that I don't remember :unsure: . Then some people try to help me to remember things by telling me to visualise something, but it's simply impossible. Before I heard about aphantasia I thought that I was normal and tried to learn myself the memory palace -technique, but it didn't really help at all since my palace was just words in my head. And then wondered how memory palaces could help anyone, and then thank that I was simply stupid or something :P . But thankfully the condition is now noticed and I can live more easily with myself.

Now, back to ESA and the memory test. In the test you see handful of pictures coupled with a two digit number. After a while they disappear and new pictures with numbers become visible. While trying to memorize new picture-number-pairs, one of the old pictures appears and you must enter the number of that picture. This continues for couple of minutes, and then the test ends.

I think this is pretty basic memory test, maybe from the harder scale, but still basic. I have problems with memorizing even one pair; I remember all the numbers relatively easy, but then they get mixed up and I can't connect them to right pictures. When I searched how people memorize these things, I found most people were using mental pictures. But as you know, that is impossible for me.

I haven't found any general method to memorize things which would work for me. My current method is to memorize basic ideas and derive claims/results from those, but it is applicable only in natural sciences. What is the basic idea of childhood, from which I can reconstruct my memories? Such a thing simply doesn't exist.

So I'd like to hear, how other aphantasians memorize things: events, sentences, numbers etc. It could help me with my everyday life, and maybe that could also help me to get job as an astronaut ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How do you memorize? 1 year 5 months ago #2801

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I also struggled with memorizing and recalling certain things when I was younger. I think that was one of the reasons I became such a trustworthy guy since I was very truthful (it was too much effort to remember the truth AND a lie. LOL) It was up until well after graduating from high school that decided to do something about my memory. This was a time before the Interwebs wasn't around us so I went to a book store and bought some audio tapes on how to improve memory. I think it was four cassette and it had a variety of different strategies to improve memory. Its been decades since I listened to them and I don't remember where they are (see what I did there?) but I still use the techniques often. I suggest to pick up a few e-books, audio books or check out some YouTube videos. There are even plenty of websites that have decent info. The more you practice with improving your memory the better I will become. I always tell people that you don't get better at playing a sport, you get better by practicing. That's why pros practice more than they compete and even Sunday morning golfers go to the range more often than play holes.

If you do plan to buy a book, I would suggest to read the back cover to see if the techniques would be a good match for your learning style. Good luck!

How do you memorize? 1 year 5 months ago #2844

• Garth
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
My memory for words and text is excellent. Up to my twenties it was darn near word-perfect, provided I was engaged with the material.

I can't tell you how I memorize facts. I just... do. When I repeat something, I retain it.

Remembering visual things, however, is hopeless for me. I have to deliberately make mental notes of, say, the color of my car, or I won't remember it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yvonne

How do you memorize? 1 year 2 months ago #4045

• andItsPeter
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I try to rout learn it, but if it interests me I remember it instantly and can recall it up to years later.
For example, from when I did high school physics: the moon might have once had a molten core, that's all I remember from that set of lessons.
Picture it...
how?

How do you memorize? 1 year 2 months ago #4088

• Erik
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I have real difficulty memorizing too. I can't even recall the exact words to most of the songs I like to listen to. My solution has been to learn things instead of memorizing them. I have to re-read or listen to the thing I want to memorize over and over again, and with enough repetition it stays put for a long time. Most of the time I don't have the time for learning that way, so another tactic I use is association by linking what you are learning to something already familiar with, like the road next to the "river" is called "Brook" street (names are awful, I often get the names of things mixed up but the meaning behind the words are usually retained). Or linking subjects together like there were dinosaurs in Jurassic Park the movie, and they were also in that period of the same name, so building from there the Triassic was the next period over and there were similar but different dinos in that period, etc.
The best method I use to learn is to enjoy the topic, I can literally inhale almost all the information from a documentary I watch if I am interested in the subject. The same with the books I read, if the author adds lots of detail and the story is interesting I can retain what happens far better than average, but not be able to quote line for line unless I do some focused re-reading.

How do you memorize? 1 year 3 weeks ago #4361

• Yvonne
  • New Aphantasiac
I had no idea that I had a good memory until I aced an employment competition, 2nd out of 40 people......lists of streets,putting them into categories.....timed....once I was told I had a good memory, I thought back to school and realized, that's how I got through all my schooling...I just memorized everything.....I just store info and recall....no pics.....just a storage of info.....it has served me well....and as to the question of faces....I never forget a face....once i've seen you....I recognize you immediately.....

How do you memorize? 11 months 4 weeks ago #4496

• tplummer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I may be able to help.

My memory is horrid when it comes to non academic things. It takes an absurd amount of time to remember what I did today, but takes milliseconds to recite or recall definitions or procedures or anything relating to science.

What I do is instead of pairing a picture with a number, I tell myself that it's not a picture and a number I'm looking at, but rather a new type of concept. Just like memory, love, backpacks, and cats are all words for concepts, I'll assign this new concept (picture + number) a word. However, words already have a concept linked to them. So, instead, I'll either create a new word, or use words to describe to myself a three-dimensional puzzle piece, in which there is no other like it. This assignment of a concept then gives you a platform to recall information, just as someone saying astronaut gives you that concept.

Otherwise, if I don't do that, I just immediately remember it out I'm out of luck :^)
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds