Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The grand network

The grand network 2 years 2 months ago #1250

• Aquc
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
My mind seems to pick up things it notices and then stores them linked to other things it deems relevant. Then, when I need to recall something, it tries to travel from one link to another until it ends up in the correct place, much like using hyperlinks on wikipedia. There are a few problems with this, one of which is that things my mind notices aren't always the things I need to remember. For example I could be driving down a road, behind a car, and with a sign saying that the road I will need to take the next day is closed. I will see both of these things but I'm far more likely to remember that the cars numberplate was __25 FVE because my brain decided that because 25 is FiVE squared that was interesting. The next day I will discover that my brain is an idiot.
Secondly when it comes to recall, I can encounter dead links. Basically stuff which has never been accessed since it was added to the archive, and thus have been forgotten, but the links to it have been kept. If these cluster it can basically leave the thing I want completely cut off from where I'm searching.
Thirdly, this takes time, cues and concentration. If I have to try and come up with something on the spot my brain will just freeze, so I have a habit of using long winded sentences to cover up for this, although I still say "urgh...." quite a lot. Secondly if I don't have cues I have to jump to random memories in order to find one that is somewhat near where I'm going to reach. Failing that I will just press for more information. Thirdly, concentration. If I get distracted it loses most of my progress and I have to jump back to a previous notable point, which as previously pointed out isn't necessarily a useful point.

Creating things is much the same way. If asked to build a bike for instance I'd first add wheels, as bike is short for bicycle, and that means two wheels. Then they'd need to connect. Then I'd need a seat. Then I'd need some way to drive the wheels. Then a way to steer. It all follows on in what my brains deems to be a logical progression, thus simply following the links.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenny

The grand network 2 years 2 months ago #1253

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
In many ways you just described Piaget's notion of how we learn via building up Schema, then expanding upon them through increasingly complexity as we move from the more general concept to the more specific detail. Worth taking a look at if interested, I think educators tend to forget there are many different ways of building up schema, but such as it is. Likewise, from what we know about accessing deep memory via neurons, this is exactly what the neurons need to do to access deeper memories, they need to connect and realign. If I was to speculate, visual imagery is helpful given it contains a lot of data that can be accessed via one image, where as those of us without are reliant on the neurons making these connections to find the data that has been archived deeper in our brains.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquc

The grand network 2 years 2 months ago #1264

• Aquc
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
I initially read that as Piglet, as in from Winnie the Pooh. I'm now slightly disappointed.

Yeah, I might have to look that up.

The grand network 2 years 2 months ago #1272

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
Well I think the Tao of Pooh probably has some worthwhile thoughts as well :)
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds