Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Musical instuments

Musical instuments 7 months 4 weeks ago #5129

• INFP
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi,
I've been running a survey and I was suprised to find all of the people who did it with Aphantasia have said they don't currently play a musical instrument. Is this just chance? Do any of you play a musical instrument?

If you want to fill out the survey it is here: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BK9QVYL

Thank you :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Musical instuments 7 months 4 weeks ago #5135

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I played trumpet for 8 years, i have it still, and can jam a little. I play music on a keyboard but don't REALLY know how to play piano. Also I took your survey.

Musical instuments 7 months 3 weeks ago #5137

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
I don't. As a child I too dabbled in trumpetry, but that didn't take and I gave up after about two years.

Musical instuments 7 months 3 weeks ago #5142

• Morley
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm totally visually Aphantasic....but play loads of instruments. Guitars, mandolin, squeezebox and love recording tracks. Been a musician since around 1964 ( now 66 )
I close my eyes and see nothing but I do dream in clour and hear sounds when I'm sleeping - odd or what !
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Morley. Reason: typo

Musical instuments 7 months 3 weeks ago #5150

• JCecorn
  • New Aphantasiac
I played piano for a couple of years when I was 7. It was all muscle memory for me. I never go to the point where I could read music like I read a book. Then, in middle school I played trumpet for two years, then moved to Tuba all the way through highschool. I eventually got where I could kinda read music. But, it was still very difficult. Never as fluent as reading English. I struggled with it until I quit my senior year to concentrate on sports. It was 100% muscle memory for me.

FF 30 years and I picked up Guitar. I gave up on traditional teaching and/or learning methods. Fool me three times, and all. I had a solid background on music theory. But, I never thought I got to a point past rote memorization and muscle memory. I wanted to make music, not regurgitate someone elses. This time I'm approaching music from the same perspective as a child learns to speak. I feel like music is in all of us, just as language is in all of us. It is not necessary for us to learn parts of speech; to conjugate verbs and learn about tense before we talk. Yes, they're all helpful concepts to understanding language. But, we don't require it to speak. We talk, we get feedback, we listen to others, and we refine and adjust.

I've only recently discovered the phenomenon of aphantasia. But, I've always felt something was missing in my ability to learn music. The approach above has helped immensely. I'm not learning the notes of the strings. I'm not learning chords by naming the 3rds and 5ths. I'm learning shapes and some very basic music theory, and listening to what my instrument tells me in my ears. For the first time in 40 years I feel like I'm playing music.

I know this may all be very hard to understand--especially if you're not a musician. And, for the musicians I'm not discounting the lessons learned from being taught traditionally. They are every bit as valuable as English classes in high school and university. I believe, just as that these are not the types of classes to teach an infant learning to speak, that there is a more basic introduction to music available for everyone to access. And,if those advanced classes work for you fine. But, as a non-visual who processes thoughts differently, I think we need to adapt teaching techniques to the different types of minds.

Musical instuments 7 months 2 weeks ago #5202

• Bobby
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Believe in modus ponens, it's everything.
Well, I learned playing the piano for 8 years but it was mainly forced on me; I love piano music, liked playing, sometimes made my own little tunes but really-really hated practicing, it was torture for me - torture by boredom. I got "good" grades; considering that I started practicing only 1-2 weeks before the exams this was not a bad result, my teacher was always surprised.

Since that I've started experimenting with sound design and making my own tracks/tunes, using a piano-ish keyboard as an input - does it count playing? I often dream about making my own music - and yes, I do hear the music I composed during my sleep and I quite often try to "save" the tune from my dream to reality - and usually fail :-)

Yes, this means I can "imagine" sounds during my dreams, I can also see pictures and everything; no detailed faces though. No, I still don't see pictures when I'm conscious. (It happened a few times that when I was balancing on the line between dreaming/being awake I could see the picture I was "dreaming" about for a few secs when leaning to the conscious side. It seems I do have the ability to "imagine", it's just switched off when I'm awake.)

Musical instuments 7 months 2 weeks ago #5204

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Welcome, Bobby! Torture by boredom and other things people have written here sound similar to my early music experiences...

I started basics with piano, 8yrs old. Learned to read each music piece, then ignored the paper. Even was able to play Für Elise at about 10yrs. Teacher always got furious at me for looking at the keys and my fingers, so I had to pretend to glue my eyes to the music sheet. Stopped piano lessons, started cello at about 9.5yrs. Just had school group lessons, Private at about age 12 and the practice discipline was already bad. Hardly ever practiced properly. Later realized I had been playing by ear, naturally as a child, and had very good intuition sort of 'beaten out of me'.

For many years played in orchestras, love classical, chamber music etc. but always felt terrible about not being competitive, not wanting to solo and be better than others, win prizes etc. Oh, and did I not mention, felt terrible about not practicing like I should... played well enough for auditions to get 2nd 3rd chair in orchestra at University, so was doing something right. Along the way I learned some guitar chords and sang ballads alone in my room, got myself through middle and secondary school crises that way!

Ended up leaving all that stress for international folk music and have added my driving cello rhythms to jigs, reels, bourrées, an dros, polska, hambo, skottis, etc. Play some dance tunes on tin whistle, renaissance bagpipes. Also ended up finding an outlet for more dance tunes and all those guitar ballads when I started playing hurdy gurdy.

Now play for medieval and renaissance fairs, 'Celtic' festivals and love the freedom to play by ear. AND I usually don't have to practice with others much because the hurdy gurdy has melody, drone accompaniment and percussive element added. Still play cello for Scandi and Contra dances, some Irish sessions. Sadly not any Balfolk around where I have lived for about 10 yrs. to play for. Miss the Breton and French tunes immensely!

My music theory is pretty bad, cannot remember simple chord progressions (guitar, cello). But I can 'hear out' or sense the chord changes and hold the rhythm well. It is almost as if I am playing a song , okay, accompanying a tune, for the first or second time, each time. I can't remember lyrics unless i work really hard at them. That being said, I can 'feel tunes' in me (not hear them unless I actually hum or sing the tune) and can usually tranfer the tune to a melody instrument.

Musical instuments 7 months 1 week ago #5235

• AndreasL98
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I play the piano, guitar and the ukulele. I am quite adept at the piano, while being at beginner level on both the guitar and the ukulele. I am also quite good at singing, as I am a tenor and have a strong voice resembling that of a young untrained opera star (literally the words used at my exam in first grade).

I am decent at musical theory, which is good considering I didn't have any training in musical theory before I started at my current school two and a half years ago and now I average at around a 4.9 GPA (It's a B- basically).

- Andreas Lorentzen.

Musical instuments 6 months 1 week ago #30476

• peikkis
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi!
I took your survey, but wanted to let you know that it's missing one hobby :) There's no singing on the list. I sing in a choir but don't play any instruments.

Musical instuments 6 months 1 week ago #39226

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
peikkis wrote:
Hi!
I took your survey, but wanted to let you know that it's missing one hobby :) There's no singing on the list. I sing in a choir but don't play any instruments.

Your voice is your instrument.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Musical instuments 3 months 6 days ago #39394

• Spirit
  • New Aphantasiac
I know this is an older post, but I figured I'd chime in that I have pretty close to total aphantasia (I don't see,smell, feel, or taste anything in my head). However, I am very musically inclined and have a minor in music performance and I can hear music in my head. When I get songs stuck in my head they are frequently in full orchestration. I have excellent auditory memory as well. But everything else is blackness. I cannot even conjure color like I've seen some people say.

Musical instuments 3 months 23 hours ago #39404

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
spirit-- im jeally.

Musical instuments 2 months 6 days ago #39497

• muzza1311
  • New Aphantasiac
I am a lifetime musician, and currently work as a music teacher. I pick up new instruments very quickly, but wouldn't say I'm a virtuoso in anything. I also write original music. I used to be quite good at reading music, but I am now very rusty.

I can hear music in my head, whether it is something familiar or something new. However that is the only "mental sense" that I can experience. No vision, no other sounds, no smells. Nothing.
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds