Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Emotionally detached

Emotionally detached 8 months 3 weeks ago #5052

• Lee!
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I've total aphantasia. No images, no smells, no sound, NO NOTHING. I've a hard time believing that most people have the ability to visualize. For me it sounds like some kind of superpower. I'm wondering if this can be the cause of me feeling emotionally detached. My four-year long relationship ended a couple of months ago and it doesn't bother me. It's like it was never even there. I've experienced the out of sight, out of mind thing very often.

Who can relate to this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W

Emotionally detached 8 months 3 weeks ago #5053

• INFP
  • New Aphantasiac
Sorry but I can't relate my attachments are what oin me to this Earth

Emotionally detached 8 months 3 weeks ago #5056

• presbyopic
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
No, I don't think I am emotionally detached and can't relate. Maybe the relationship was the problem and you are in a better place so you don't feel any attachment loss.

Emotionally detached 8 months 2 weeks ago #5074

• Charlise
  • New Aphantasiac
I don't think there is a positive correlation between aphantasia and a lack of emotional attachment to others.

Emotionally detached 8 months 2 weeks ago #5078

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I absolutely think my total aphantasia has given me extreme out of sight out of mindedness that has been both positive and negative in my relationships.

Emotionally detached 8 months 1 week ago #5107

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
For myself, I agree with moyer. I would also add that I somehow live intensely in the moment and can quickly separate my feelings from logic and reality. Sometimes hard to put them all back together again. Maybe this enables me to come across as emotionally detached. Maybe I need to be sometmes!

Emotionally detached 7 months 3 weeks ago #5140

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
I absolutely relate. I'm not going to elaborate because I don't want to come across as a sociopath.

Emotionally detached 6 months 6 days ago #39230

• eckleburgs eyes
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I can relate to this feeling. Years ago my grandmother died. I wasn't that close to her but i saw her weekly for my whole life. After she died, i felt bad because i didn't miss her, and i didn't cry or react emotionally. Just recently i watched an old home movie of my grandmother reading a story and i started to cry. i don't know if that has anything to do with aphantasia, but it seems like an "out of sight, out of mind" type thing.

I'm also a recent college graduate and have moved 1 hour away from my parents, who i love and they have always been kind and understanding to me. i don't really miss them or the things we did together or even just the way they are. i think its because i can't really remember that well. again, this may not be an aphantasia thing.

I do believe this condition allows me to be in the present, which i'm grateful for.

Emotionally detached 5 months 3 weeks ago #39253

• bikersurfer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
I am somewhat as you describe, Lee, in being quite emotionally detached from people and situations that one would typically expect to be invested in. In my case, it's primarily with those who have passed; even my parents. But, I also find that I have little to no emotional attachment to my exes. It has crossed my mind that it may be linked to aphantasia, but I wouldn't state that as an absolute.

I do have strong emotional ties; such as to my daughter, siblings, and my dogs. I have a great deal of emotional investment in my dogs, oddly enough. But, on the whole, I do not easily get emotionally attached to anyone or anything. And I do not seem to get too attached to friends, even my closest ones, regardless of how deep our shared experiences are.

Again, I don't know for a certainty that it has anything to do with my aphantasia, but I would not completely discount the possibility.

Emotionally detached 2 months 1 week ago #39480

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
Lee! wrote:
Hi,

I've total aphantasia. No images, no smells, no sound, NO NOTHING. I've a hard time believing that most people have the ability to visualize. For me it sounds like some kind of superpower. I'm wondering if this can be the cause of me feeling emotionally detached. My four-year long relationship ended a couple of months ago and it doesn't bother me. It's like it was never even there. I've experienced the out of sight, out of mind thing very often.

Who can relate to this?
I am emotionally unattached, mostly. Taught myself not to cry years ago do to being made fun of for crying when my son left to go back home and when we left to go back home from there. I don't know how much the aphantasia is the cause. I am like you: no anything.

Emotionally detached 2 months 4 days ago #39513

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
Tilma wrote:
I absolutely relate. I'm not going to elaborate because I don't want to come across as a sociopath.
I could easily be a sociopath, except that I have certain rules that I follow. I do what I have been taught is correct, I do what I feel is correct. Out of sight out of mind is my motto. Yes it hurts when I lose someone, but I never cry and I move on quickly. Don't understand people carrying on, crying and falling down with emotion. I have friends who are empathic and I just don't get it. My loss!
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds