Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Wow, just Wow

Wow, just Wow 10 months 2 weeks ago #4879

• heidi65
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Total Aphantasiac dumbfounded there is another sid
  • Thank you received: 2
Like some other members, I stumbled upon a YouTube video and learned that I am not alone! I'm 51 years old and have never had a vivid imagination, to close my eyes and try to imagine something, I find that I am remembering a picture of that topic that I saw. I thought that was normal. I read the online questions and had a very hard time because I kept using pictures and thinking it was okay. Then I tried to imagine a co-worker and I just couldn't do it. If I don't think too hard her face is floating in the back of my head but I can't bring it to the front.
I've tried to tell people over the years that I can't visualize things in my head and they never really believed me, after all, everyone has an imagination, right? I'm so happy to have found this forum and look forward to reading others stories.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wow, just Wow 10 months 2 weeks ago #4884

• heidi65
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Total Aphantasiac dumbfounded there is another sid
  • Thank you received: 2
After talking to friends and relatives as well as reading more on the forum, I realize I still don't fully understand aphantasia. I'm starting to though. What I thought were images in my head, are in fact just conceptual ideas. And the fact that people can close their eyes and see actual pictures just floors me! I feel like we've all been eating cookies our whole lives, and I just found out the most people have chocolate chips in theirs, I still love my cookies, but I can't help but wonder what chocolate tastes like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W

Wow, just Wow 8 months 1 week ago #5100

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Welcome, Heidi65! It still floors me after knowing for about 35 years. Just glad there is a name now and such an easy way through the Internet to find others of our ilk!

Wow, just Wow 5 months 4 days ago #39283

• Pendleberry
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello I'm peddle berry. Just found out at 53 that other people see things in their heads. I can't remember / visualise being a kid or anything really and always too thought I was hiding some great trauma. My childhood was pretty awful but even that I used to remember but not really remember. I'm in shock and don't really know what I'm saying
I remember failing a test once for. Job that I was massively over qualified for and no one could understand why. I had to mirror the writing which had been cut in half. I just couldn't visualise it. Now I know why.... This bugged me for 25 years
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds