Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Artist with Aphantasia

Artist with Aphantasia 4 months 2 weeks ago #39911

• trankers
  • New Aphantasiac
A few years ago I came to realise that I am unable to 'see' things like others. I have been a cartographer for nearly 30 years which was all mathematical and geometry creating maps and plans. I have drawn my entire life but never noticed that I could only draw things I could physically see in front of me, like still life or from photos. To create something out of my head was never a possibility. I have never had a visual diary and even in art classes I just couldn't figure out what to put in it. 2 years ago I decided to e a full time artist, but I am getting so frustrated as everyone is always saying things like visual it, or visual your theme or your thing. I can't do that so I find it difficult to find direction. Nobody understands my situation as everyone I am close to is extremely good at visualising. I end up having to watch tv or search random images on the internet to give me an idea. Then once I get a list of words I then find it difficult to arrange or fuse them on the canvas. When I was doing portraits I had no issues, but there is no much demand for portraits with the ease of photography these days. This is why I decided to go down the more abstract path, but at that stage didn't realise how much frustration and stress it would cause. I am now looking for ways to create visual aids, but that in itself is tough as I can't think of anything to use as prompts. AAARRRGGGHHH. Any ideas?
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by trankers. Reason: spelling error
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds