Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane.

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 7 months 3 days ago #39677

• woodsmo
  • New Aphantasiac
How can they tell the difference between what is real and what their mind generates?
I only found out I have this a few days ago but it has certainly changed my perception about other people. I didn't realize, like Blake Aaron Ross said, that "counting sheep" wasn't a conceptual metaphor for the vast majority of people.
All those stories about seeing bigfoot, aliens, or ghosts are completely suspect now. Not that they weren't before. It's just now I realize that people see things in their head that aren't really there hundreds if not thousands of times a day.
I never "got" the whole PTSD thing. Now I understand that they are watching a movie in their heads that they can't control.
This is completely crazy and foreign to me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 7 months 2 days ago #39678

• DeathWhinny
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
From chatting with friends, the is a big difference between seeing something in your minds eye and seeing something with your actual eyes. Most people aren't visual enough to pull together a movie in their head, but they can construct a scene with a little thought - quite a few talk about visualising as comic strips or storyboards.
That being said, I am also amazed anyone can get out of their head and into the real world on a regular basis!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ussfa344

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 7 months 19 hours ago #39682

• woodsmo
  • New Aphantasiac
Okay, lets see if I can make this work.
I photoshopped a couple of images to show others when I try to explain this.
Image 1 appears to be what most folks see when they think of an apple, differences of course in shape and detail ect.
Image 2 is what I see. (notice the faint outline of an apple in the center)
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 months 19 hours ago by woodsmo.

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 6 months 4 weeks ago #39685

• Sitrus
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
There is definitely a diference between real things and thing you imagine even for people with extremely vivid imagination!

Also PTSD isn't really about seeing a movie of past events inside your head. As I've understood it certain situations might trigger an emotional reaction that's the same you had in a past event or that gave you a trauma or is clearly connected to it and it makes you believe the same things will happen again. So if you were beaten up really badly and you might get an anxiety reaction every time you see a person who resembles your attacker(s) and you become convinced you are in danger and have a full bown anxiety attack. That's just one example and someone who has actually experienced this might explain it a bit differently/better.
on a stroll

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 6 months 3 weeks ago #39690

• jeffkim511
  • New Aphantasiac
Yes, I concur with this. I see the "essence" of the apple in my mind, but not the actual apple itself.

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 6 months 3 weeks ago #39691

• woodsmo
  • New Aphantasiac
Yep, "essense of the apple" good way to put it.

I don't understand how everyone else isn't insane. 6 months 3 weeks ago #39697

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Not exactly about PTSS, but people qith Aphantasia can get panic attacks. I cannot drive on turnpike type expressways, or even real busy streets (you know the multi lane ones), If I am going to have to go somewhere I haven't been before, hubby takes me early and I take notes. When I lived in Miami I took some courses and had to drive on the turnpike to get there. Not a lot of lanes, or confusing exits, yet the panic was real. I kept a calming bottle of a herb mixture that you put drops in your mouth to calm. I was later told that if I had been stopped by a cop I would have been arrested since it reads like unacceptable drug on breath-o-lizer. Panic is real, as is the emotional reaction that sets of PTSS. My memories are totally attached to highly emotional states (negative or positive) although I must admit not many postitve.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds