Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!!

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 7 months 2 weeks ago #39585

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Hii guys,
In this chat session, you are supposed to mention your profession or your academic interests..!! I am '17 and a half years old' and i have always been lively and energetic in the past.. I have always been a very bright student (i am not bragging about myself).... But, after high school, i have decided to quit science, and i have actually chosen commerce for getting a bachelors degree... The reason being that , after knowing about my aphantasia, i was depressed and i made a perception that without visualization, i cannot be the best in this field.... And so i switched to commerce because it doesnt need much real life visualization, i suppose... So i am trying to give my best now, and i am working hard to join the public sector! Atleast I know that i am not going to let others be ahead of me now ,in studies!!!
Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hollydolly

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 7 months 1 week ago #39627

• Hollydolly
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Vishal, I am 37 and was also a very bright student in high school. I have been a homemaker for most of my adult life, an avid reader of everything: recipes, articles, essays, books, especially nonfiction and historical fiction. I also have great interest in science, but I always struggled to memorize tables and lists (like epochs and fossils). But: I think you should choose to study what most interests you. Even if you are not the best of the best, this does not mean that you cannot make real and valuable contributions to the field. I only found out about my aphantasia about a year ago. Contrary to finding it upsetting, I was fascinated. I left university after only 1 1/2 years due to mental health struggles. I was studying English. I would urge you to seek some cognitive behavioral therapy if it is possible for you. Many universities offer counseling services. For me personally, it was a combination of medication and CBT that has given me the skills to be mentally healthy for perhaps the first time in my life. If you truly feel that science is not for you, then I would not be one to discourage you from following another subject you feel passionate about. But if science is your dream, then just go for it! The world needs more dedicated scientists. It was a scientist with aphantasia who first described the condition over 100 years ago. He found that many of his fellow scientists had it as well! I personally choose to think that aphantasia gives me different strengths than visual thinkers, but I do not view it as a weakness in any way. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: @Vishal2000

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 7 months 1 week ago #39629

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
I failed miserably at high school (grades 10, 11, 12). In those three years I earned seven F's and a whole lot of D's, and did not earn my diploma. I was a visualizer back then. At age 20 I was shot in the head four times, lost 20% of my brain on the right side, still carry two of the bullets in my brain (what's left of it), and acquired aphantasia.

In addition to making me intellectually challenged, I guess getting shot changed my outlook on life. Because I knew I was far less intelligent than my fellow students, I tried so much harder in college to compensate. I went on to earn a BS in Agriculture Science at Washington State, where I graduated suma cum laude and at the head of my class at the College of Agriculture and Earth Sciences. I still remember what I was like before getting shot, and my problem solving ability was far better -- it's sometime painful just to think about what I've lost.

So in my opinion, attitude and effort are represented in academic grades, and have no bearing on how intelligent one might be.

As for religion, I believe in Jesus, but I don't believe I God. I live in a "mixed up muddled up shook up world," but I like it...
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 7 months 1 week ago #39635

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi dolly,
I totally agree with you..! Well, two years back, when i was 15, i joined a coaching institute for science after my 10th grade... I was among the top 25 students from my school who scored more than 90 percent.... But things turned bad just after i came to know about this weird condition- "aphantasia" from the internet, while i was searching for some better ways to meditate..... I stumbled upon a wikihow article where they mentioned about visualization.... To know more about my visualization deficiency, i searched for it over the internet and thats how i found out about aphantasia,.... It was discovered just then... And i was shook from my core to know about this wonderful ability of visualization that most humans have... My exam scores declined and i was worried more about this condition, than i was worried about improving my scores... Due to the low performance, i got depressed.... I have visited a doctor, and even received treatment 7 months back... But now i know that aphantasia is not something i should be worried about....most People are just fine with it...!!!!!!! Its not that bad..!! Haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hollydolly

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 7 months 1 week ago #39636

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi ussfa,
Really! You lost your visualization!! Its great that you survived those bullet shots!! Well, if you dont mind, can i just ask you something? Do you remember anything from the time before that incident? How did you come to know about your loss? Was it a sudden change? Well, i am asking this because i fell from my dad's scooter when i was 4 and hit my head against a metal bar at the railway station.... I still have the mark on my head, its a small circular mark, which is completely covered with my hair..... I dont know if i could imagine before that incident ,with any certainity.... But my elder brother says that i used to enjoy a story, "jack and the beanstalk" which he used to recite back then, very much, all with "eyes" closed.... I was always eager to close my eyes before he recited and i used to say to him that the story was beautiful..!! I dont know...,,,

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 7 months 1 week ago #39638

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
@Vishal2000 wrote:
Hi ussfa, Do you remember anything from the time before that incident? How did you come to know about your loss? Was it a sudden change?

It always makes me smile when people refer to my having been an accident. I can assure you it was no accident There were about 100 people intent on killing me -- and they damn near did. It was in the Viet Nam war. I wound up being alone and had deal with the situation, which got me wounded far too many times. But that was then, this is now.
When I came out of my coma I had so much more on my mind than visualization, or even the gun shot wounds to the head. I was actually shot eleven times altogether that night (neck, lower abdomen, chest twice, both knees and right calf), received 19 other major wounds from rockets and grenades, plus about 200 minor shrapnel wounds. So I gave no thought to my loss of the ability to visualize. Plus, aphantasia is only one part of prosopagnosia -- a much bigger problem.

I did not notice something was amiss until my mother came to visit me in the hospital two months later, and I couldn't recognize her. I kept that to myself for 13 years, when a Doctor finally asked me about it. No doctor though to ask, in spite of the extensive damage to my right temporal, parietal and occipital lobes of the brain. But give the doctors a beak -- little was know of prosopagnosia or aphantasia in 1969. Even after all these years, some doctors give me that "deer in the headlights look" when I mention aphantasia or prosopagnosia.

My visual memory of events prior to getting shot are still intact. But I've been unable to store new images, or visualize anything from scratch. I can only see old images in my mind's eye. What sucks about that is the closer the images were to my getting shot, the clearer the image. I can't imagine what m youngest six children look like, born after the war, but I can close my eyes and see all those dead folks from my last moments as a true visualizer.

So to answer the last part of your question, the realization was gradual and complicated by the fact that I could still visualize old images, but avoided doing so at all cost. Fortunately, after 48 years, even those old images have faded -- mostly because I have willed it so. I guess it's a bit ironic. Many of those with aphantasia try to will the ability to visualize, while I have struggled to eliminate what limited ability I maintained.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 6 months 1 week ago #39740

• jonesplus
  • New Aphantasiac
Probably a good choice. I'm 60+ and was a very successful banker. But I always wanted to be an architect. I even find it difficult to copy 3D pictures, let alone see them!.

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 4 months 3 weeks ago #39872

• Penny
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello. I’m excited to find this group and finally understand the condition. Believe it or not I was in my mid 40’s before it dawned on me people could actually visual things.. I had never questioned what was my norm and was fine. Would I like to visualize —-absolutely! Due to health problems I’m home bound for the most part and due to severe photophobia when I leave the house I need to cover my eyes with black out glasses. It has become a very dark drab life. So yes... I would love to close my eyes and see beautiful things.
I know what the beach looks like because I’ve been there earlier in my life and have memories. Much like I know what an emotion is...I know what things look like. That’s my experience.
I’ve read some of the posts here and it’s very interesting how people explain what they “see”. Haha. I get it! Not everyone “sees” with visual pictures. Im not religious. I was raised SDA but left the church. I don’t enjoy most music— it makes me very emotional. B) I was a special education science teacher. Memory for conversation is very good. Names, not so much. 4.0 student and a semi perfectionist.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Penny. Reason: For got requested information about job

Every member of this group is required to mention his/her profession or academic interests..!! 4 months 2 weeks ago #39912

• trankers
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello Penny

I too was in my forties when I understood the condition and the impact it has had on my life, especially with regards to memory. I don't have sever photophobia, but my eyes automatically close if i go outside without my dark sunnies on. I even swim with sunnies on and everyone thinks I'm odd. I too knows what places look like but only from the memory of being there or experiencing it. I gave up yoga and meditation as I got tired of not being able to see what the teacher was asking of us. I too have issues remembering names, but never forget a face when they are in front of me. However, if I had to describe them from memory i would struggle big time. My profession of 30 years was cartography (map mapping) and I gave it up 2 years ago to do art full time, but am finding things tough without the ability to visualise :(
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by trankers. Reason: additional text
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds