Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: sleep paralysis

sleep paralysis 1 year 1 month ago #39581

• Busserulls
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I have total aphantasia. Even total black when «dreaming». BUT I also suffers from Sleep paralysis, and then I have the most terrible vivid nightmare, more or less as reality. I therefore think my brain has the ability but I for some reason is not able. Are there anyone else also suffering of sleep paralysis? (Are there other persons from Norway? I have never met or spoken to an other person with aphantasia.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen

sleep paralysis 1 year 1 month ago #39590

• clarity5
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
I have had several sleep paralysis experiences, I never felt it was connected with the aphantasia, but who knows? Sometimes I also have a sense of someone or something in my room at the same time, on one occasion it was pressing down on my chest. I found by trying not to be scared of it and trying to give it love instead that it disappeared and I was able to move again. Weird!

As for the aphantasia, me and my twin sister have struggled to understand for the last 30 years after realising in our mid teens that our brains were not working in the same way as people around us. I have found it the most frustrating thing in my life but at last the condition has been named and people are talking about it. :0)

sleep paralysis 1 year 3 weeks ago #39662

• Busserulls
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Same here. I also have aphantasia AND sleep paralysis AND the way I learned to handle sleep paralysis was the same as you... But I have never met anyone else with aphantasia in person, but me father has sleep paralysis as well, but none In my family dont Even understand the concept of aphantasia...

sleep paralysis 11 months 6 days ago #39812

• AE
  • New Aphantasiac
I have sleep paralysis very often.

sleep paralysis 10 months 3 weeks ago #39838

• carla_68
  • New Aphantasiac
Could you give us and example of one of your nightmares?Like, are you in your room and something supernatural happens and that's how you know you're in one? Or do you go somewhere else?

sleep paralysis 10 months 2 weeks ago #39859

• margo
  • New Aphantasiac
I've had it a few times but it's always years apart.

sleep paralysis 10 months 2 weeks ago #39862

• Jrichard
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I have had sleep paralysis several times, also Aphantasia and SDAM. I go to sleep and its black and i wake up, once every few years I might recall a dream, though rarely with any detail. My sleep paralysis comes and goes, but seems to be triggered by intense stress. I have done a good bit of study on my own, and while I know what is happening physically, it doesn't change the fact that is quite terrifying. Especially since for me it happens before I fall asleep, I can be watching TV or whatever then all of a sudden I cant move. With the bad stuff happening not long after.

If anyone is curious, sleep happens in 2 basic stages. Mental and physical, brain goes to sleep and releases chemical that shuts off the body so you don't act out your dreams. With sleep paralysis, the body is "going to sleep" before the mind, while sleep walkers experience the opposite, mind goes to sleep while the body doesn't. The visuals, sounds, and other things we experience during are thought to be caused by a chemical released in the pineal gland of the brain called DMT. They still have a lot of research to do though on why our brains create DMT and what role it plays on us during dreams etc.
Aphantasia Facebook Group I started
www.facebook.com/groups/1648206728564676/
Fun Links
VSauce
BrainCraft
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds