Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Aphantasia isn't so bad. :)

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 3 months 5 hours ago #39285

• Matthew
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
All my life I thought "picture it in your mind" was just a figure of speech for "think about this." Then I got married and gradually figured out that my wife can actually see things, vividly, in her mind. She even describes it as watching TV, and sometimes even like being somewhere!

Well, that's totally foreign to me. Words have meaning, but never a picture. But it wasn't until today that I knew this "condition" has a name.

The thing is, I actually feel kind of privileged to be part of such a small, elite group. Thinking about everything in terms of meaning and data has its upsides. I'm great at problem-solving and cutting to the chase. And sometimes I think the really beautiful real things in daily life mean more to me than other people, perhaps because they seem less common.

Overall, I can't say I'm sorry to have been born the way I am. Life is still good, even without pictures constantly floating through my head. I'm not sure I'd change if I could!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tilma, Esther

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 2 months 4 weeks ago #39287

• jody
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Agreed Mathew, but....but....just once, I'd like to know what if "feels" like to "see" a picture inside my head...just once. As I've said elsewhere I have seen images occasionaly when being massaged, but in15 years of regular massage its like maybe 5 or 6 times, I cannot manipulate the image and if I concentrate on it, it disappears....
Shit - if only I'd known!

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 2 months 3 weeks ago #39293

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
LOL. The elite.

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 2 months 3 weeks ago #39303

• L8deblu
  • New Aphantasiac
Identifying what is happening in my mind has been good for me. I've stopped thinking there is something wrong with me and moved to accepting that I'm just wired different than other people. I am usually more in the now of today since I can't re live moments over and over from the past.

There biggest frustration for me is that other people (family and friends) don't really understand and often think that I just don't care enough to remember the shared moments.

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 3 weeks 6 days ago #39413

• Chvrches
  • New Aphantasiac
I just found out, and this sucks for me, i'm very shocked

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 2 weeks 2 days ago #39464

• lackita
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
L8deblu I feel for you, I just found out a few weeks ago, and mostly people just don't believe me.

Aphantasia isn't so bad. :) 2 weeks 1 day ago #39467

• L8deblu
  • New Aphantasiac
I find that people look at me oddly when I tell them but once I take the time to explain it in more detail they believe me. They think I’m weird but they believe me LOL
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds