Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Dementia

Dementia 3 months 3 weeks ago #39247

• Evie
  • New Aphantasiac
I worry that this is connected to Dementia, are there any studies showing a link between the two?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dementia 3 months 3 weeks ago #39248

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
I don't know about dementia studies, but I acquired aphantasia at age 20, after getting shot in the head -- 48 years ago. I just had a complete dementia and Alzheimer's screening three months ago and there were no signs of either.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evie

Dementia 3 months 3 weeks ago #39249

• Evie
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello USSFA thanks for responding. I would like to know if you were able to visualize before your accident, and if so what do you miss about it?

Dementia 3 months 3 weeks ago #39250

• Evie
  • New Aphantasiac
I guess I was born this way. I don't ever recall having a dream; when I close my eyes all I've ever seen was darkness. I scarcely remember childhood moments. My memory sucks! Unless that particle moment or person really stood out. So I worry about recognizing my loved ones because I can not visua their faces. Learning that Aphantasia is a real thing and most people ARE capable of visualizing I now feel as though I have been missing out my entire life.

Dementia 3 months 3 weeks ago #39251

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
Evie wrote:
Hello USSFA thanks for responding. I would like to know if you were able to visualize before your accident, and if so what do you miss about it?

Evie,

Yes, I could indeed visualize quite well -- at will, and quite vividly. What I miss most is the ability to visually loved ones when we are apart. In fact, it is painful because I can remember what it was like to have that ability. It is also a bit confusing because I can still recall images from before getting shot. To put this in terms of loved ones, my oldest children were six and five years old when I got shot. They are now 54 and 53 years old. I can still visualize them as children, but not as adults. My next six children were born after I got shot, so I only have an idea what they look like when we are together. In addition to aphantasia, I have prosopagnosia so even pictures of them look unfamiliar. Fortunately my 12 year-old lives with me, so I get to see her every day, except when she is off at summer camp. But the rest of my children are remembered as experiences and words, when we are apart.

Okay, I am a bit sick this way, I had to laugh at your referring to my getting shot as an accident. I assure you it was no accident. I got shot eleven times that night -- four times in the head. I also received over 200 shrapnel wounds that night. Those that shot me were intent on killing me -- but lady luck was with me that night. I do no resent getting shot, nor do I hold any ill will towards those that show me. That was then, this is now. In 2006 I met a guy that we figured may well have been among those who shot me. My reaction was to by him two beers, just to show him there are no hard feelings.

Dementia 3 months 3 weeks ago #39252

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
Evie wrote:
I guess I was born this way. I don't ever recall having a dream; when I close my eyes all I've ever seen was darkness. I scarcely remember childhood moments. My memory sucks! Unless that particle moment or person really stood out. So I worry about recognizing my loved ones because I can not visua their faces. Learning that Aphantasia is a real thing and most people ARE capable of visualizing I now feel as though I have been missing out my entire life.

I recommend that you read some of the discussions on this forum about prosopagnosia. Perhaps you should take an on-line prosopagnosia test if what you read in some of the prosopagnosia discussions sound familiar to you.
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds