Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 8 months ago #5141

• Morley
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
It's good to find a forum for people for people like myself...

I'm 66 years old and only discovered that there are other people like me, a few months ago.

I have never been able to close my eyes and see pictures, sense smells or imagin sounds, and always thought that this was normal. Back in the 1960's, The Small Faces had a single out called 'My Mind's Eye' and I always thought it was something to do with drugs - being able to see things with your eyes shut...

It's something that does not really worry me, and I look forward to getting an insite from more people who like me, close their eyes and just see darkness..

Alan
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #5220

• astauber
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

I am pretty sure I am a total aphant. I am 54. A few years ago, I was speaking with my wife and she was describing this vivid image of something in her mind. That was the first time I realized that I couldn't bring up any mental image but that most people apparently could. I started asking friends and family to describe what they could see in their Mind's Eye and they all would say "I see vivid images, with color and everything". I can't do that at all. When I close my eyes, I only see blackness. People didn't believe me. They would say, that's crazy, can't you picture a banana and if not, then how do you know what a banana is? I would answer that I know exactly what a banana is, but I just can't bring up a picture of it in my mind. I would give them an example of smell. I would ask them if they could bring up a smell of something and most would say, no. But yet they "knew" exactly what the smell is. That allowed me to explain the them that we "know" things in many different ways. Visual images is just one of them.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all.

Aaron S.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #5229

• wensdazechyld
  • New Aphantasiac
I always say for them to describe the wind. They can. Then I say for them to picture it in their heads. They can't.

Easier than smell, which a good number of people can actually recall.

Took me a while to come up with something that worked when I was trying to explain it to a couple of classes, but the wind idea worked best with them.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #5230

• AndreasL98
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello, My name is Andreas.

I've never really used a forum before, as I am only 18, so I'm hoping I pushed the right button. Looks like it, anyway :P

As I said, I'm 18 and I only discovered that actually seeing images in your head was a thing about two years ago when one of my teachers asked me to visualize a billion dollars. What would that look like? Imagine what money smells like, let that smell overflow the room you are in. Some said they saw Uncle Scrooges money pile, but only in bills instead of coins, some said they were in a vault and some said it was raining cash. I said out loud in class "I can't see any money, guess I'm broke" as a joke. To my amusement, they all laughed and called me a joker and my teacher told me to tell everyone what I actually saw. I told her I actually didn't see anything. She laughed and asked me again. After several times answering her question she just looked at me and called me a joker and moved on to continue the lecture.

Neither my family nor friends believe that I can't actually see images in my head and out of the about 900 people I have at some point socialized with in the past three years I have never met anyone else with Aphantasia IRL. Guess I just wanted to find a place to talk about it, where people don't just talk to me because it's funny but because they can actually relate.

Hopefully I found it :)

Anyway, that's the short version of how I discovered that I had Aphantasia I guess.

Sincerely,
Andreas Lorentzen.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #5253

• Rubberduckies
  • New Aphantasiac
I discovered by my fiancé trying to reminisce about our first date. And he said I remember it just as clear as it was yesterday and I said we don't have to exaggerate to each other. Then he explained that he really could and we started discussing it and I realized when people say they imagined stuff or picture this. They really can... but not before I told him he was weird and I don't know what's wrong with him before he told me I was the weird one so I looked it up and found this site proving him right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ussfa344

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #13985

• jhartinmd76
  • New Aphantasiac
It is nice to finally name something that people could never understand that I was explaining to them and the fact that everyone thought I must have had a tragic childhood to need to block out all memories even though that process continues to this very day. now being 40 with 2 children and divorced from my wife for 10 years, i have my children(13 year old son and 11 year old daughter) every other day and every other weekend. I desperately search to find every available moment to see them for fear that without any of the memories of there life to cement the bond that caries people through life that i may start to forget how much i love them and how much they mean to me. i know this sounds absurd. as i sit hear fighting back the insanity realizing that my 13 year old will soon be a adult and no longer with me daily as he starts his own life i cant help but contemplate will my memories of my son fade along with his visits? i have no recollection of births, first steps, magic moments, and I've never missed any of them. fortunately everyday is new and with out the emotional attachment that would come from visualization of past experiences, good or bad, this may not even matter when the time comes. My question is for someone whos kids have grown and left, do you slowly loose what you know you once had with your children? My emotional connections reside with the moment and i truly have no sense of being other than the here and now, with no memories of my own from birth till now. I fear that i will loose the most and only importance in my life, my love for my children.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #14734

• wensdazechyld
  • New Aphantasiac
My recommendation would be this: Film as much as you can - ordinary everyday things. And the grand things too. The film will be your memory - it has been for me! And keep ticket stubs, niknaks, write diaries.... they'll all help. I remember very little of my life with my ex at all. I kept almost nothing from my time with him, no film, few pics., no diary, so my memories of my time with him and how I felt are barely there. But I have diaries going back 25 years and when I read them I can suddenly remember how I FELT about so many things. If you make it a daily thing to write a diary entry before you go to bed you may feel more confident about your relationship with your children as they grow. x
The following user(s) said Thank You: 303crown

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 7 months ago #17057

• Rubberduckies
  • New Aphantasiac
My baby is only 2 with my second on the way. But I'm very thankful for the technology now because I try and take a lot of pictures (although I lost the first 4 months of her life because my old phone deleted everything) and that makes it easier to remember. I do also remember other things I do have memories of my childhood and such but it's more facts than reliving it. Just try and get some pictures and videos and when you start to forget look through them.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 6 months ago #39236

Hi, I'm Samantha. I only discovered I have this condition six months ago. I never knew people actually saw things in their minds. When people say imagine this, I just think of it. Conditions like aphantasia are really interesting in my opinion because it is hard to comprehend what people see. I think it would be nice to get to know others who experience the world similarly to me.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 6 months ago #39255

• tawright
  • New Aphantasiac
Afternoon,

So I just read an article on the BBC that describes Aphantasia and for the first time in my life I have a name to put with what I am. I am 45 and have known that the way I think is different from others. I will be doing quite a bit more research into this now.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 6 months ago #39258

• Annetje
  • New Aphantasiac
I, too, am new here. After 40 years of going through life without seeing images, I just figured out that it's not how everyone lives. I'm still trying to understand it, but I'm so glad I have a place where I can come to communicate with people like myself. It's been a tough few months.

Annetje

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 6 months ago #39269

Hi! I'm obviously new here, but it looks like there are a lot of people like me!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 6 months ago #39271

• LiveBreathe
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi,

I am 17 years old and for as long as I can remember I have suffered from total Aphantasia. I have never been able to see things in my mind, nor hear or smell things.
I only recently discovered that is actually a thing and that people are able to see things in their head and it isn't just people saying that they can as a saying.
I don't know anyone else personally who also has Aphantasia so I am looking forward to learning a lot more about it.

Thanks.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 5 months ago #39295

Discovering this website is like finding home! I didn't realize I really had congenital aphantasia until I started asking literally everyone how they imagine things or conjure up old memories and mental images. When they told me they could literally see whatever they were thinking about, (even though on a spectrum) it fascinated me, because I can't see, hear, taste, or smell in my mind's eye.

Currently doing research on aphantasia, and I have so many questions and a project I would love to work on to raise awareness. If anyone would from the Los Angeles area would be down to meet up, share experiences, and just have an overall discussion on aphantasia, please let me know!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 5 months ago #39296

• wensdazechyld
  • New Aphantasiac
Welcome.

I may be in LA later in the summer, but if not, I'm happy to have a Skype chat!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 5 months ago #39301

• L8deblu
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all... I've recently found this site and it's nice to connect with people who don't look at you like you're crazy if you say you can't picture an apple!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 3 months ago #39414

• MvL1234
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello, I'm Marc, and I have to say I'm so glad to have found this website! I realized within the last few years that my mind worked differently from others. It occurred to me that others could visualize, picture things in their minds, because they kept talking about it or suggesting I do it. I have never able to do it - when I try to remember something I've seen or imagine something, I just remember words that describe the thing, I don't see the image itself. My sister once said it was like my "soul" was blind.

I only found out about aphantasia and that others had it early this week though. So nice to finally know I'm not crazy or alone, and to have a name for what I have.

Anyway, happy to be here!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by MvL1234.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ron, Jojo W

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 3 months ago #39452

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
I also am 66 and just found out. I have no friends and associate only with my hubby, son, grandson, and occasionally my daughter-in-law.
Completely mind blind.
Out of sight- out of mind.
I will somehow adapt.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 3 months ago #39454

• christine_11
  • New Aphantasiac
It is only the knowing that is new. You have lived with and adapted to the condition all your life! I am 66 and have known about 'aphantasia' for two years. I became aware that I was mind blind when I was 12 but didn't know until recently that we are a small minority. In some ways for me having the condition scientifically recognised is a difficulty though it does allow us access to each other!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 3 months ago #39463

• lackita
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm Colin, figured out other people had pictures in their head from conversations with my wife over the last few years. Googled it and got the Facebook post, just really glad I have a name for it now.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 2 months ago #39499

• muzza1311
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all. I have just discovered what aphantasia is. For most of my life, I mostly assumed that when people talked about mental images that it was some kind of analogy. I never really understood it. Somewhere along the line, I picked up the idea that some people can see actual images in their imagination, but I thought they were very rare. In the last few days, I have discovered that my experience - seeing nothing in my mind - is the rarity. I am totally fascinated by the thought that all of these people can see actual images in their head. I can't quite understand what they describe to me. Also, other people seem to struggle to understand my experience. For example, today a work colleague asked if I could describe my house. He asserted that if I can, then surely I have a mental picture. He didn't quite believe me that I could walk him through my house from memory, and in quite a lot of detail, but all I see is blackness. I just kind of remember where things are.

Anyway, I'm pleased to meet you all. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any quality of life because of aphantasia. It has taken almost 48 years for me to even know that it is a thing. However, I am keen to learn more.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 2 months ago #39500

• lackita
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
Welcome muzza1311. I know exactly how you feel, I've learned that for most people a mental image is such a crucial aspect to how they remember that they find it difficult to believe it's possible to remember things without it. I've also found that many people have trouble separating that ability from spatial reasoning, which I'm relatively good at. Mostly, I've found that when I explain it to people it's as foreign a concept as having mental images is to us.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 2 months ago #39505

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
I was at a meeting and actually met a nurse who knows what it is. Amazing . I tell people if I put a letter on your back can you tell me what it is. OR tell them it is like a computer screen that has no image, just blackness. I am 66 and have had a couple of weeks to come to terms with it.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 2 months ago #39506

• Sitrus
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all! Not sure if I actually have aphantasia or not (made a longer post elsewhere here) but I have some similar experiences. At the very least I am worse than average in visualising things. I wanted to learn more so I came here. First heard the term a few days ago when someone mentioned it on tumblr.
on a stroll

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 1 month ago #39618

• LIVAJG
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi, I have been coming to terms with discovering that I had aphantasia for a few months now which I have not found easy.

I first realised that my mind did not operate in the same way as others after a yoga lesson, where the relaxation exercise at the end of a class was a visualisation task. As we were leaving the class, my wife and her friend where describing in detail what they had seen during the visualisation and it suddenly dawned on me that they actually saw an image in their heads or even a film playing. The more I questioned them about the images the more I came to understand what I could not do.

The song from Miss Saigon, 'The Movie in my Mind' suddenly made sense to me, even if I could not visualise it!

It was great to find this website after researching on the web to find out more information on the subject.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds