Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #4043

• Ndlela
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi there I messed up my registration so I guess from now on I'll be known as Ndlela lol.

Anyway I'm an 'aphantastic' from South Africa and I was lucky enough to find this site at such a young age because of my self curiosity I guess.

My friends never believed me when I told them I can't imagine them with new hairstyles or clothes when they asked me for advice so at least I now know I'm fairly normal :).

I do possess a great sense of direction and my numbers memory is good but remembering words without understanding is a bit difficult :/. I do however remember lyrics very well haha.

My dreams are pretty normal although I won't be able to visualise the faces again when I'm up even if it's of people I'm close to eg. my mother. I experience lucid dreaming quite often and I find that pretty interesting considering all else.

Hoping to learn loads more! :cheer:
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Ndlela. Reason: Spelling mistakes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 1 month ago #4234

• Emmarn
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello everyone! I'm Emmanuelle, 21, from Brazil

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 1 month ago #4267

• mikegall
  • New Aphantasiac
I found out about this via the podcast of Q&Q about two weeks ago.

I frankly am still finding it hard to believe that other people actually see images in their head. When I close my eyes and imagine everything is black and silent.

I've spoken to two of my children about it and they experience exactly the same as me.

I can't believe I've got to 54 experiencing something completely different from those around me.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 1 month ago #4268

• comix
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
Welcome! I was surprised as well, I could hardly believe it. But both my children have the exact opposite - very vivid visual imagery. I wonder why that is. Why are we so different?

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 weeks ago #4279

• Holroyd
  • New Aphantasiac
Wow. Finally. I'm 56, and a brain scientist. Always loved computers, my work has always been codes and programs. I have a small cerebellum, and lack coordination. I taught myself to juggle 3 balls, but that's all. Can't draw. I'm also colorblind, red-green, a protan. I'm fairly left-brained (I have graphs). I have song lyrics in my head all the time.

I used dextromethorphan because it gave me closed-eye hallucinations. I remember being shocked, when I was on a train, watching the trees go by, and I realized my eyes were closed. I was impressed with how accurately my brain could recreate a tree. It wasn't very vivid, even so.

Now I wonder, what do normal people use this ability for? Maps, yeah ... I get lost easily. What else? And what percentage of the population has Aphantasia?

im kinda in shock 2 years 5 days ago #4405

• Katznaperr
  • New Aphantasiac
I just read an article from the BBC on Aphantasia and felt confused and shocked. So people can normally see real images in their head without dreaming? I have to do more research, that concept almost feels like a practical joke to me. How could I live 48 years and not know this? I am ridiculously horrible with names and faces but I always thought it was dexlexia, are they realated?

I took an online test for Aphantasia and I was laughing through the whole thing. Questions like "imagining a friend or relative, how strongly can you see the characteristic poses of their head and body?" What?! People can see that!?

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 5 days ago #4406

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
Welcome Katznaperr! Poke around this forum and you will find quite a few responses similar to your own. Lots of questions that may occur to you might have threads already, and a lot of good information from others experiences with aphantasia.

New user. 2 years 2 days ago #4418

• Pangur
  • New Aphantasiac
I'm new around here. I have known that I had aphantasia (or at least suspected it, because I guess I've never been "officially" diagnosed) for probably a few months now, but never knew there was a forum. I read the BBC article, like... probably most of you here, and didn't realize before then that it was an unusual thing to not be able to literally see images in my head. I can dream, and believe that I see images in my dreams, but do not recall them after waking other than an idea of the image. Kind of like seeing a shadow without actually seeing what causes it, I guess? I can hear music or sounds in my head, but that's it.

Anyway, thought I would just make a quick intro post here.

New user. 2 years 2 days ago #4419

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 35
Welcome to the forums Pangur, hope you enjoy it here. :)
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 7 hours ago #4438

• portnoy
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi there --

I recently discovered my lack of visual imagination on demand and I'm pretty sure I've been like that for the last 50 years. As many here, I see images when dreaming, sometimes very vivid. I start seeing images even when falling asleep -- in fact, it's always been a first sign it's happening.

Talk to you soon, my aphantastic friends!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage, grozny21

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4469

• GinaB
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi there,

I'm like most other people here and have just discovered this lack of visual imaging is called aphantasia...and I have it! Most people in the world can actually visualize things??? Like colors and everything??? And details??? Like watching a movie or looking at a photo?? I'm so shocked. It's not so much about me as I always knew that I didn't actually see an image but that I thought most other people didn't either. I guess I had the wrong understanding of what "imagine" actually means. When I "imagine" something I sort of rehearse it out with the emotions involved. Like if I was asked to imagine a sunset I could remember what the sunsets I have seen are like and remember how watching those sunset made me feel and then put those experiences together and come up with a sensation of a sunset. My sensation sunset would be quite intense and distinctive - I mean a sunset over the ocean would be a different sensation from a sunset in a desert or over a field with trees. I don't ever actually see an image behind my eyelids which is always just black. With this new information, things are starting to make more sense - like I always KNEW I was different and felt a little bit like an alien but couldn't understand why.

Did anybody else feel this? Like their whole lives they knew they were different but not knowing why>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4471

• ken_007
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I knew people could see things but I had no idea how rare it was that some of us don't. So when I was told we all should be able to play chess blindfolded that really struck me, I can't visualize anything. I have to play chess like the kid in Pinball Wizard actually, by sense of smell I guess :) On the other hand when we close our eyes we do get the blackness and that might be preferable actually :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: elise

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4474

• elise
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello, I am elise and I have aphantasia. Basically all of these years I thought I when people said they could ''see things'' in their mind I assumed they meant figuratively...just learned today that they can actually SEE it in their mind. Mixed feelings at this moment since I sort of feel cheated...but I really need to get over that, it's just not productive. But still... Anyway, glad I am not alone.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by elise.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4477

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
Very nice wording, naming it a "sensation sunset". My feelings are also very entwined with helping me to remember things. I would add one step for me: if someone were to ask me to imagine a sunset, I would imagine the sunset of my wishes, the "best sunset possible". I presume I can do this because of past sunset experiences, but I cannot necessarily recall (even in words) the actual placement of different colors in a particular sunset, so I guess I sort of "believe" in a sunset. But it still all stays black in my mind's eye, no images , no outlines, no fuzziness, nothing. I feel happy, though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: comix

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4478

• comix
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
It is the same for me. Add in all other sensations - the feeling of a breeze or the smell of coming rain, the sound of me walking, stuff like that and I feel as though I am there without seeing anything at all. Not too bad, of course I would rather see it in my minds eye but it seems to work well enough

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4479

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
So glad to find this forum! Thanks to all of you for contributing! Have been reading around here quite a bit and it is helping me put a few puzzle pieces into better spots as I review how things have been going in my life so far.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4480

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
Wow, the idea of sensing the feel of the breeze and the smell of rain SOUND great to me, but unfortunately just as words.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Blackstage.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4483

• ken_007
  • New Aphantasiac
On the other hand, if I could conjure up images and movies at will, the real thing surely would be very diluted, so we are in a position of really being able to enjoy the beauty of the world!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4525

• Kastarra
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello everyone. I'm also new here. I recently realized that I have aphantasia and am certain I have had it since birth. I hadn't realized that using facts to imagine (or create) an image outside of the mind's eye wasn't common until attending a class in which I was asked to visualize an object. I am quite happy that research has begun and that there is a place where others with aphantasia can connect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elise

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 11 months ago #4582

• wannes
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello everyone. I'm almost 30 and just found out I have aphantasia. I have complete aphantasia, no sensory (image, sound, smell, ...) imagination (or dreaming) at all. Untill this week I thought this was how everybody experiences life. I do have a rather good memory and 'spatial' intelligence though. It's really crazy for me to think of someone being capable of actually recreating an actual sensation in your mind :). I feel a little bit sad because I think I'm missing out on a lot of interesting experiences but mostly I think it's crazy I never found out before. Happy to see there are more people who experience this!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 10 months ago #4692

• BenJI
  • New Aphantasiac
So, wow. I just read the article on the BBC, googled aphantasia, and my mind is blown. I'm 34 and this is the first time I've ever realsied that this wasn't everyone's normal. Hi to all of my fellow aphantasiacs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevemorgs

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 10 months ago #4702

• Richard47
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello everyone I am 69 and have realised that I had a problem from being a pupil in school when I was asked to spell.. I couldn't and still can't I just can't see the word in my head. After spending all my working life in education as a primary teacher and head teacher I have found that most children who can't spell can't visualise the word either, has any research be done to see if non spellers are aphantasic? It is not dyslexia as reading is not a problem its the inability to spell.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 10 months ago #4706

• Possel
  • New Aphantasiac
I too have just found out about aphantasia - it just explains so much about my and life and feeling a bit different in so many circumstances. I'm an intelligent and very logical person who is good with detail, used to have a fantastic memory (getting old now) and also very good with maps and directions, but can I actually describe the features of my wife who I have known for 49 years?!

A year ago, I found out that I also suffer "very mild" Asperger's, but I don't think it is related to asphantasia. However, when being diagnosed, I recall at one stage in this long conversation, he asked me to imagine something (I forget what) as part of some exercise he wanted me to try. I just couldn't imagine it in my "mind's eye" despite really trying for some time - I think he thought then that I was a bit odd...

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 10 months ago #4716

• m727
  • New Aphantasiac
Well - it has been a long time coming. I always knew this would come about. Although I have no other friends, family or colleagues that I know of that have this condition - I knew that it had to be more common than just me.

People never believe you when you tell them. So at some point you just stop. Doctor's look at you with that "hypochondriac" look - so again you just shut up.

My math and logic seem to be higher than most, hate fiction books, love movies and music, have migraines. Can't see nothing but a big black wall.

Good to be a part of something that will hopefully help future aphantasians. (first of all - spell check should be updated!!)

I would enjoy chatting with anyone who happens to live in the south Miami area.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 1 year 10 months ago #4717

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
Hi Richard47! I personally can spell fantasically, in a couple of other languages as well. (Doesn't mean I type well though!) Not sure why.
Not sure with what (school) methods I learned to spell, but I read voraciously as a child (for example all of the Lord of the Rings in 4th grade). I believe I soaked up a lot of words AND the spellings from reading older age level books and having learned 'the big words' first. According to reading comprehension tests I was at 12th grade level in 5th grade. But I could also spell the high level words somehow.
I think I was bored and didn't have friends, so books were my escape... no internet back in the 70's... Just me! Interesting to find out about everyone!
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds