Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Aphantasia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3289

• Elaine
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,I'm Elaine,really looking forward to exploring this website
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3315

• MotionDoc
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello! Back in high school, I remember being asked to visualize something for a writing exercise, and I said something about how I can come up with a description of the spoon, I have no mental image of one to accompany it. The look on the face of the person that I was expressing this to told me that I was the weird one, and I stopped talking about it for the most part.

I've never been great at meditation or visualization, because I get distracted by the words that come into my head, rather than the pictures. The pictures just aren't there for the most part. The ones that I can conjure up with great effort are foggy and fuzzy at best. Still pictures are pretty much impossible. I have an easier time "seeing" movement - one of the questions on the home page of this website asked about visualizing how someone walks. My husband, for example, has a very unique gait, and I can picture it, but not in pictures. Does that make any sense????

I'm excited to find that there is a name for something I've experienced my whole life, and that I'm not as alone as I thought I was in this. I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here. :)

-Mindi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juliasnz

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3320

• Imagine52
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Interesting to have read about Aphantasia today and realized that it is me. I never, like many others , realized that people are able to conjure up visual images in their heads at will. I would love to be able to do that! I have always been interested in visual arts and love photography, drawing ,painting and computer aided photo/image manipulation. How good would I be if I could see the images in my head before I made them. I can see this has always given me a sense of frustration but just thought of it as a natural condition.
I find touching things is very meaningful to me and like to explore things with touch often closing my eyes. I love listening to radio again with eyes closed would often prefer this to TV/Movies. I like maps and am very good with directions but it is not visual but more like having an internal compass and a sense the direction I should be heading to get to my destination. This of course does not work in the middle of cities with one way roads or roads that go in circles.
I see myself as a "big picture " or conceptual thinker rather than a person who thinks of all the details. Maybe this is linked to not being able to visualise but needing to rely on other senses or types of intelligence.
Very interesting to find this out about myself and to know that I fall into a minority (or maybe not) class. Perhaps, now that this condition is being recognized and spoken about we may find that it is more common than first thought. Just another piece of knowledge that points to the fact that although human we are all very different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeaR, Juliasnz

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3437

• Noseeum
  • New Aphantasiac
I am flabbergasted that I should've been able to get so far along in life as I have and not even know that everyone else who has been seeing with their mind's eye was meaning this non figuratively.

It's like initially it's a double whammy: one realises that there is something essentially different in my perception of the world as it relates to pretty much everyone else on the planet (?), i.e. They're all walking around seeing things behind their eyelids that I could (exactly) only dream about, AND they all forgot to tell me!

Or whatever.

I was reading this article to my eleven year old less than an hour ago on the BBC Future site about the Toronto photographer who couldn't see the future and I asked her to do as asked in the story's first paragraph: close your eyes and imagine the one you love,the most.... And when she finally got me to understand that she really could see this like a picture....

Well blown away am I.

Last summer I discovered I have dyslexia.

This summer I understand that I have a blind mind's eye.

I'd like to joke and say: Next thing I'll learn will be what? Donald Trump has been elected Secretary General of the UN or, whatever.....

But seriously. How could I not know? I've worked with visualzations in meditation as well as in art and photography my whole life since my teens.

I need some solace.

I think I'll go play Marvin Gaye's "What's going On."
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_79, Juliasnz

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3531

• arasbm
  • New Aphantasiac
I always had a feeling that there were certain differences between the way I think versus others. I used to doodle a lot and also tried drawing. I could never draw anything realistic unless I was looking at a picture. I always thought it was because I did not have enough practice, I wish I knew the difference.

I do not think this condition is disabling me in any way. I have been a creative person all my life and I can often find creative solutions to problems. I am very good at solving puzzles when I am looking at them. My image recognition is very good. If I see a picture from a movie I had seen years ago I can immediately recognize it. I can recognize people's faces as soon as I see them. I can draw too, my hand drawing skills are ok. I can think of the features in something and draw it. It will not be realistic, but I can make it look cool. However, I can never *see* what I am going to draw. I just move the pencil and watch the results. I always thought that was part of the challenge and everyone had to do that.

I have absolutely no image formation when I think about something. There have been a few exciting moments in my life where I accidentally remembered and felt a smell from the past, but those moments are very rare and not by choice. I dont know about sound, I can somehow remember music, but I do not hear the actual sound. It's almost as if I hear the variation in volume and pitch without hearing the piece. I cant imagine actually being able to remember and *hear* a piece of music or someone's voice. I remember things that people tell me, of course -- but just the words, not their voice.

This has been an interesting night. Hopefully through this forum I can learn a bit more about how my brain actually works. Again, I hope we do not treat this like a disability, because it is not. I think we think differently, and we have to figure out what are some ways that this way of thinking can be an strength.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3546

• hgreen
  • New Aphantasiac
Hey guys,

it's finally time for me to introduce myself since I was silently reading for a view days.
I'm Hanna, 26, native German. Filmmaker, Sound Technician and Student. I love to plot stories - because I do it all day in my mind - and I've never been able to visualize anything throughout my life. I can dream very vividly though (that's where I almost ever find some fabulous inspiration for my screenplays apart from interesting people crossing my path). I'm very glad there's a community for Non-Visuals (I like to call myself aphantastic rather than an Aphantasiac (that sounds very much like lunatic or maniac to me) but I'm not sure whether it's offensive in general so I go for Non-Visuals) to share experiences and do some basic research on this sometimes very blessing condition. I have a 'Milk-Voice' (thanks to Blake Ross for creating that helpful term) which is talking to me all day long - there's no way to switch it off. That's my way of thinking and processing things. I'm very creative and have a wild and wandering imagination ('imagination' and 'phantasy' translates to the same thing in German: "Phantasie", which is why I struggle with the term 'Aphantasia') (as I mentioned I plot all day long) I love to create new worlds, building them up - tearing them down. I startet talking to several friends about my lack of imaginary visualization about three months ago but it never occurred to me that "counting sheep" could possibly be more than a metaphor to bore yourself to sleep. It was only a week ago or so that I understood that people ca actually see realistic pictures in their mind. The only thing I ever saw was the 'pineapple slice'-shaped image of my iris when I rubbed my eyes too hard or too long.

Since I know about the mind-cinema other people are blessed with I sometimes make nasty comments that provoke some rather inappropriate pictures in my fellows minds just my personal for fun. :evil: My friends take it easy, we're teasing each other... We have a lot of fun that way. Still I'm unbelievably curious about Aphantasia and really want to know more about it.

Whoopsie... this one got a bit long. Sorry! :oops: :whistle:

So, again, hello everyone!

Cheers,
Hanna
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by hgreen.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 3 months ago #3583

• Nikita
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all. Just read the BBC article which led me here ... and the "what is aphantasia" page just shook my world. I always knew that people could see images in a way that I couldn't - but today is the first time that I realised that others can also create other senses in their mind too. Sounds, tastes, smells, touch - really? Can't quite get my head around that. I can't do any of those things, either while dreaming or awake.

Anyway, I'm excited to know that I'm not the only person with a blind imagination - I've never met anyone else who struggles in the same way, so it's been a lonely place to be. (Not to mention frustrating - all those group visualisation exercises just make me angry instead of relaxed, lol). Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning more about this.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Nikita.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3725

• jevesha
  • New Aphantasiac
posteHi, I work as a maths educator, supporting people who teach maths to adults. Based in UK. Realised about 20 years ago 129(I'm 65 now) that when other people said they "saw things in their mind's eye" they meant it pretty literally - until then I'd just assumed they were talking metaphorically. I'm actually glad that aphantasia wasn't recognised when I was a child; I bet somebody would have tried to put me off maths and physics. I've been quite successful in both areas though sometimes I do wonder how - I can't for example make sense of how things are put together mechanically, and I've found three-dimensional geometry a bit tricky. But apart from that I've managed fine. I've often noticed that some teachers and students talk about visualising a number line (often not just a straight line, but with all sorts of interesting peaks and troughs for numbers that are really significant or interesting to them ), but I thought these people were the exceptional ones.
I can't imagine the faces of my nearests and dearests, but since I definitely recognise them when I see them, it didn't occur to me that this was unusual. I didn't realise that other people could, it hasn't bothered me. It does bother me that I often don't recognise people I've met several times - but I didn't overworry about this since I thought I was just mildly exceptional - lots of people have some difficulty with this kind of thing. I have difficulty remembering that I've been to places; friends have given up saying "do you remember when we went to Place X and it was a lovely sunny day etc?" because they know I won't remember. I now think that this may be associated with aphantasia.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3726

• Lcmacg79
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,
I saw the New York TImes article last summer, and it was such a relief to put a name on this frustrating aspect of how I function. I am happy to have found this forum, and look forward to learning more, and participating in research if that is possible. I live in the Boston area. Thank you for the website!

Leslie

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3749

Hello!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3752

• LaazV
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello!
I read the BBC article a few months ago, and found this forum a while after.
Hope to get nice talks here!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3753

• mjb4611
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi, my name is Matthew. I've thought about this topic before, and a couple years ago my friend told me they when they picture something they close there eyes and see a book, and then turn the pages of that book to whatever they wanted to visualize. My reaction was: "What? What does that even mean? Isn't your mind's eye purely figurative?" I was thinking about it again discovered there was now a word for it, and that I was entirely isolated in my incapability to visualize the same way others do.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3754

• Ken Levy
  • New Aphantasiac
I have known about my condition for over 50 years. As a youngster, I read a newspaper article claiming that people who dreamed in color were on average more creative than those who dreamed in black & white. I discovered then that being unable to visualize at all was rare/different.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3780

• estherly87
  • New Aphantasiac
Buenas tardes.
Por fin, he conseguido algo que explique mi forma de ver las cosas!!
Para mi siempre fue imposible creer que una persona pueda cerrar los ojos y ver un rostro o una manzana, pero ahora lo entiendo!! soy aphantasia, puedo recordar alguna vivencia, al recordar lo que sentí o lo que hoy, no ver la imagen con los ojos cerrados, aunque sueño a todo color y puedo recordar todo como una especie de película.
gracias por este foro.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3792

• barteksalsa
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi!

For a very long time I thought that lack of visual memory automatically meant no mind's eye. Now I know it's different.
I am eager to share thoughts about how to live a happy life despite struggles and get inspiration from others.

Bartosz

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3800

• Juliasnz
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Life gives you lemons... so YOU can make lemonade!
  • Thank you received: 5
Ha ha! Out of sight = out of mind... arghhh! B) Okay so I've already forgotten what the brief for this post was (the information you're supposed to include in your answer... ) which I guess for me is one of the speed bumps of no visual recall...

Can't "visualise" anything... have no mental image what anyone looks like and can not describe anyone to anyone else, lol... even closest family members (Mother, brother, husband)... but I usually recognise people I know very WELL... but no chance otherwise.

Great at drawing, painting... no idea what the thing I'm drawing or painting will look like before I begin but once it's begun takes shape quickly and easily...

I usually LISTEN to movies or TV series rather than watch them as I often can't recognise the actors except by their voice...

Great spatial skills, plus a hyper active amygdala so very attracted to movement and non-verbal communication tone, stance, body language etc...)

Absolutely hopeless at following instructions or directions given either verbally or in writing... LOL

Very keen to "FOCUS" on the positives and mitigate the non-positive aspects...
The following user(s) said Thank You: comix

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3807

• ozgransu
  • New Aphantasiac
Hello, found this site recently and I am aphantasiac. Its good to find I am not alone after all these long years. (Yes, I am an oldie!) I'll learn as much as I can here.Thanks for the website.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3820

• dave
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all, just call me dave.

Non-visualiser since I can remember. Realised when I was 16/17, now 26 and wondering more every day whether there is some kind of cure or technique to switch on what I believe is a latent ability.

The first place online I found there were other minds like mine was this old web entry from 1999 http: (slash slash) dfan.org (slash) visual.html
The author went on to write a small follow up to this in 2010 which had many comments form likeminded people here http: (slash slash) dfan.org (slash) blog (slash) 2010/01/23/i-still-dont-see-anything-when-i-close-my-eyes/

Eventually I came across the article in the new york times referencing professor Zeman's work and from then on I believe there has been a huge surge in recognition and discussion of this 'condition'.

I'll be on the forum mostly for the research side of things, and in the near future hope to conduct some of my own experiments using a tCDS device which I will strive to document here.

I'd just like to say there is another community over on http: (slash slash) reddit.com (slash) r (slash) aphantasia which is worth subbing to I believe (as well as this one!)

Anyway, all this just to confirm, I exist, please don't delete my email! :P

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3902

Hi All;

Like many others I found out about the site and finally put a name to how my mind works through the BBC article. Happy to see a forum for like minded people and look forward to being part of it.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3957

• Dewhurst
  • New Aphantasiac
Thanks for the forum. I never knew I was blind on the inside until the age of 49. I decided to start meditating and could not catch on to the whole third eye visualizing thing. So I googled " I see nothing" wow what a shock to find out I have been missing out on this whole other experience. I can't believe nothing ever 'clicked' with me about this. It must be like not knowing that you are colour blind until someone describes the colours they see to you.

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3970

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello all,
Paul from Sacramento, California, United States.

I'm glad we have a place to learn and discuss things related to Aph.

Cheers!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3986

• martin_79
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all,

I just recently discovered that i do not have a mind’s eye. It does explain a lot of things to me. I am born in the Netherlands and we are educated in plenty of languages from 12 years old (High school). We have German, English, French and Dutch as default in the first years. Learning the spelling of words and remembering them was/ is almost impossible for me and my grades were low to say the least. After my first year of high school a teacher thought to see why I scored so low and after some testing I was diagnosed being dyslectic. I never thought it really was dyslectic because I do not have any difficulties reading and am quite fast. Now I believe it may have more to do with Aphantasia. I hear now from my friends and family that some of them actually can see the word they need to spell as a picture in their mind. How nice! It is like cheating to me :)

I always had a hard time learning lists/ words from heart and used to say that I can only remember things when I understand them. Understanding is a great help and it did help with getting my bachelor degree in economics. My English has improved and my English spelling is now better than my Dutch but it is more like muscle memory (I read that somewhere also).

I always have troubles finding the way in a new city and it takes a while before I do. Also take pictures of where I parked my car so I can find it back again.

Anyways, great to be able to put a name to it and to find out there are more like me,

Martin

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #3987

• lhervey
  • New Aphantasiac
I was listening to a radio show called Quirks and Quarks here in Canada.....(CBC I believe) and they talked about Aphantasia. It blew me away! Never realized I saw or didn't see things the same as others, just thought I was bad at visualization.......lol. WOW is all I can say so I'm just starting to learn about it now many decades into my life.

I find that I automatically translate written word into feeling and I can "see" it that way and can experience books by the feelings the words illicit I guess. I don't get lost and can usually find my way by sight if I have been there before so I must remember visually on some level I just can't see it in front of my mind's eye as a visual picture. I also assign a "feeling" to people and have a "picture" of them that way. Not sure how to explain that one.......lol.

No issues with dreaming or with seeing things in the state between being awake and fully dreaming. Just once awake.......lol.

Interesting situation..........I wonder what we can do that those without Aphantasia can't!

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #4034

• Fubared
  • New Aphantasiac
Thanks for the add.. have many questions and some observations ..hope this helps with both. Im am still trying to wrap my head around this..fact that others can actually SEE their past events..and that those "flash back" scenes in movies really DO happen to others... Mostly how this has affected my choices in life ..and how i have lived it... It sure does explain a lot..that i had no answer for. Did any of you ..before you heard of this..feel "out of place" or "out of sorts" especially in social situations like funerals or church? again i have a lot to ask and compare with others here. .but of what little information i have come across so far ..matches up..like... Bad speller..bad with many things.. Thanks again

Welcome to aphant.asia the aphantasia website! 2 years 2 months ago #4042

• lhervey
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi there,

I too didn't realize that others see in that way. I was aware that I didn't have visual childhood memories to play back in my head and often wondered why......lol. At least I now know for sure I'm not just "blocking" them! Everything plays back in "feelings" of events and I automatically attach a feeling to something without thought about why but now at least I am aware that I do that because I can't see it after the fact!

I don't feel deficient in any way I just experience things in a different fashion.
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds