Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 1 year 3 months ago #3847

• rayrob
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been wondering are there any advantages to having aphantasia
are we better verbally since we have no visual distractions.
are we better listeners
are we able to appreciate visual beauty more since we cant recall it
there's a newness to it every time we see it.
i'm sure there are other advantages what do you folks think
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juliasnz

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 1 year 3 months ago #3858

• Sekhmet
  • New Aphantasiac
  • I'm a visual artist with no ability to visualize..
  • Thank you received: 20
Great idea!
As an artist I approach creating art in new ways every time. I can't visually imagine what I'll make, so I'm less hindered by a preconception. I probably end up trying new things more often because of that.

Also for drawing my teachers always said what we "visualize" in our head is usually an incorrect and detail lacking creation. That drawing from that is often a mistake if the goal is creativity.

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 1 year 3 months ago #3859

• Juliasnz
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Life gives you lemons... so YOU can make lemonade!
  • Thank you received: 4
It's possible I cope a lot better with

1. The gruesome things I've seen than others who have also seen them... I'd put that down to remembering details but not having visual flashbacks...
2. Losing people... I've lost all my family, one by one, over time and while it may seem a bit odd or cold to others I tend to be highly detached... people come... people go... when they're gone... they are GONE. I've no idea what even people close to me look like so I guess I just don't get attached.
3. Reacting to movement... but that may be due to a hyper-active amygdala, lol (PTSD has few benefits but lightening fast reflexes can sometimes be one... :)

Also, I seem to have very keen hearing, generally I recognise people by voice and I can pretty accurately recognise where people are from by accent... even weird obscure accents. If I've ever met someone from somewhere if I meet another person from the same area I can tell where they are from... It startles people a bit when I blurt out, "Hey! Are you from ???" and they say, "Yes! How did you know?"

I'm starting to appreciate the "everything looks new" aspect rayrob mentioned... Before I found out about the Aphantasia I just thought I wasn't paying enough attention... but yeah, watching movies you've seen before and not recognising anything... it's weird but quite cool. Generally I'll know the plot but the imagery is all new... (PS: I used to joke I had a goldfish brain.... but yeah... Goldfish CAN actually recognise human faces... arghhh! ROFL

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 1 year 3 months ago #3866

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
I literally, have no visual abilities mentally, so drawing out of my head, nothing comes out. I can wing it, but I can replicate any image, if it right in front of me.
Yes, i listen very well.
personally, yes, I embrace beautiful moments more than others. most of the time it looks like I'm spacing out, but I just know I'll never see that again the same as I am at that moment.
Yes and no, yes if its a sunset, or cloud formation, but things that are the same, no not really. There is a pattern set to each thing. So I notice differences quicker than someone that is visually inclined.
Other Plus
1. No dreams! instead Always aware. so I think when my body is repairing itself... so if I have a discussion, or situations I will be able to look at it from multiple perspectives. Example: Wake up in the morning, look at your clock, notice its 6:55 am, you tell yourself you'll lay your head down for 5 more min, but find yourself so deep in thought you realize you have been thinking for 30 min or more. you get up quickly check the time and only 3 min have passed. So yeah imagine, that for 6+ hours. (what fun... you get use to it)
2. I don't get hung up on how others look.
3. I understand concepts better than most.
4. High level of self control, Never drank alcohol or done any drugs.
5. I found my peace in life at a young age. so few things effect me my mood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 11 months 3 weeks ago #4523

• Gt2master
  • New Aphantasiac
Acid lsd shrooms and anything else that causes you to have a hallucinogenic trip do nothing to you. I always wondered why it never effected me like others

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 11 months 3 weeks ago #4530

• Oiculoony2
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Holy crap...I can detach myself from everything as well. I also have PTSD from the Army. I just found out about this condition a month ago. I'm still getting used to all this
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 11 months 2 weeks ago #4547

• QuinnTheEskimo
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
It's nice especially because I don't get grossed out very easily. I sometimes forget though and bring up somewhat disgusting topics at the dinner table and then everyone else is mad. I remember we had lunch right after dissecting a rat at school and I mentioned that the meat kind of looked like part of the intestines. My friends were grossed out and I couldn't understand why.
"They drew first blood, not me..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: comix, Blackstage

ADVANTAGES TO APHANTASIA 9 months 3 weeks ago #4799

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Kiingarian wrote:
... personally, yes, I embrace beautiful moments more than others... I just know I'll never see that again the same as I am at that moment.
... I notice differences quicker than someone that is visually inclined.
... Always aware...
... I don't get hung up on how others look.
... High level of self control...
... I found my peace in life at a young age...

Nice articulation about many points that are similar for me! Many of these points seem to me to come from learning to SLOW DOWN and peel away a multitude of less important factors (including constant input and inundation of visuals in 'modern' society) the amount of which can easily obscure quite simple ''common sense' realizations, ideas and concepts. People seem to complicate needlessly so very, very often, myself included, especially when trying to include all possible factors...

I believe Klingarian's practices of long term meditation play a major role here. I also experienced some of these at a relatively young age through, for lack of better terminology, study of various philosopies, meditation practices, etc. and this has influenced the later decades of my life very strongly. One can come to deeper understandings, peace, clarity of mind, mindfulness, acceptance of what one cannot change in order to better focus on what one can work on more realistically, more conscious joy or sadness in the moment can be experieneced, etc.

I also agree that I can easily be detached and not disgusted by things mentioned by others or myself (advantage or disadvantage in some situations!) Behaving 'properly' in a variety of social situations can be affected by this. However, who said we each must act/react the way people feel that we should in any given situation? In many different countries, cultures and communities, a wide variety of similar behavioral differences can exist anyway!
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds