Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moist

Moist 2 years 2 months ago #1285

• julia_11
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 13
One of those random conversations. Ended up discussing people's reactions to certain words such as moist. While it is not a word I particularly like it doesn't revolt me. I was advised to try saying the word moist in different situations and conversations and even try slightly emphasising it. ( because of my job it is easy to find situations where it is totally appropriate, such as Acute Moist Dermatitis ). A number of people seem to recoil a little from the word moist.
So what do aphantasiacs think of the word moist and what what do the rest of the world think? Does it make most people have visualisations that they were rather that they didn't? Or is it just that it isn't a particularly nice sounding word?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Moist 2 years 2 months ago #1287

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
I always relate to words based on the context in which they are used. Taken alone the word "moist" to me is just a word describing condensation or dampness, nothing else. Put into a different context though, it can certainly become potentially offensive or an effective means to communicate the state of an object. For example, where I am "moist" is often used to refer to the sponginess inside a cookie (what some call biscuits :) )...I imagine that would make for a terrible marketing campaign if it was common for folks to dislike the word. Then again, this could be based on cultural vernacular, so in the US the word in a marketing campaign is normal enough to be virtually beneath notice, but if it is not frequently used elsewhere and the connotation of the word is different, then I can certainly see how it might result in a less than desirable response.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Moist 2 years 2 months ago #1472

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I agree, I also don't have problems with the word, though it seems that a LOT of people don't like the word for some reason. For me, not a problem. Just another word of many.
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: julia_11

Moist 1 year 10 months ago #2386

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
Words like this have never bothered me. Just the other day though, i described my memory of a childhood friend breaking his ankle to someone. I went pretty in depth about both bones being broken, at least one sticking out through the skin, and the way he lifted his leg up and flopped his foot around sayin..."yeah i think its broken..." the person i was describing this to got the cringe. it was awesome.

Moist 1 year 6 months ago #3104

• Actual_Vomit
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I've never had any negative reaction to words like moist. While it doesn't evoke any imagery, I do associate it with positive things like cake. ^^

Moist 1 year 6 months ago #3125

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
No issue with moist whatsoever. Only heard of people having trouble with it a couple years ago onward.
Some words -do- bother me though, second word of the poster aboves name being one. :( Whether read or heard, I feel ill (another example of how lack of ability to conjur mental images dosn't necessarily make you immune to icky decriptions etc.)
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~

Moist 1 year 5 months ago #3191

• ijk079
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Moist brings to mind erotic fiction ... or a yummy cake!

I also don't find the word cunt offensive ?
"The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven." John Milton

Moist 1 year 5 months ago #3378

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
ijk079 wrote:

I originally took/used "cunt" on the same level as like "asshole" etc. (The word turned up in teen years from other teens). But then I was around Scottish people and was informed it was like apparently the worst thing you could call someone and they might do violent things to you for saying it. O_O ("douche" I hold on the same level as "dumb-ass" but might be mistaken since I'm me.)
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~
The following user(s) said Thank You: ijk079

Moist 1 year 5 months ago #3410

• Sekhmet
  • New Aphantasiac
  • I'm a visual artist with no ability to visualize..
  • Thank you received: 20
I can't think of any word that makes me uncomfortable when it's out of context. If someone calls me something offensive of course I'm pissed/hurt, but that's entirely to do with the intent behind the word.

Moist 1 year 5 months ago #3420

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
ijk079 wrote:
Moist brings to mind erotic fiction ... or a yummy cake!

I try to avoid the word cunt because I believe that so many people use it to degrade women. Those that use it to degrade women, piss me off. I had a lady friend in college that had a very unique take on descriptive terms for that part of a woman's anatomy, which really put me on the spot when we were dating. By her way of thinking, her vagina was from where babies are delivered. Her pussy was where she peed. But her cunt, well, that's where she partied. I was supposed to keep that straight when talking to her. If I referred to it as anything other than her cunt, she got annoyed at me. By the way, she was always quite "moist" down there. :P Like a yummy cake!
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by ussfa344.

Moist 1 year 5 months ago #3472

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
Erm. TMI. (Moist in -context- does get to me. lol)
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds