Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

TOPIC: Best careers for aphantastics?

Best careers for aphantastics? 5 months 1 week ago #5217

• Facewithaview
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Given some of our limitations with visual capabilities and (at least for me) terrible visual memories, what are some careers where people with aphantasia have had great success?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best careers for aphantastics? 5 months 1 week ago #5218

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
Front-line combat soldier.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Best careers for aphantastics? 5 months 1 week ago #5219

• Bobby
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Believe in modus ponens, it's everything.
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, I'm personally very good at abstract thinking (actually I cannot think in any other way so I've been practicing it in all my life) and from the polls it seems the majority of us as well.

You need abstract thinking for math, for making logically reasonable decisions, for understanding complex problems, for computers, etc.; I'd say that this way Aphantasia is handy for most of the fields - visual arts being one of the main exceptions of course.

So, if you're also good at abstract thinking then one of the most suitable job would be some kind of computer programming. Yes, I chose this path myself as well, I made an easy career.
Otherwise I'd say that simply don't choose paths where you'd need to synthesize images - so don't be a fashion designer or Picasso.

Best careers for aphantastics? 5 months 4 days ago #5231

• AndreasL98
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Don't choose a career based on what you can't do, but rather what you can do. I have ADHD, so I am not choosing a career where being unfocused isn't a perk, but rather one where my energy will be one. I am choosing to become a teacher because I have the capability to stay focused for the length of a class, but I also have the energy to keep my students focused on what they are doing. I want to become a primary school teacher, because it takes a lot less focus but a lot more energy.

Don't choose what you want to do based on what you can't do, but based on what you love doing. As the great Confucius once said, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Hope I helped instead of just confusing you even more than you already probably were :P

- Andreas Lorentzen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

Best careers for aphantastics? 5 months 3 days ago #5239

• Bobby
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Believe in modus ponens, it's everything.
While I agree that of course you should do something in which you're good, you should also agree that it's not ideal to do things in which you're bad. If you excel in almost all the skills required for being a surgeon but you throw up when you see blood then you shouldn't be a surgeon.

In case of Aphantasia the only thing we surely know is that it's a _lack_ of something: you're bad at imagination. The OP did not give us any hint about skills he/she is good at so the answer has to be in the format of "if you're bad in this then [you shouldn't do those]".

On the other hand, since it's likely that Aphantasia comes with benefits as well - such as good abstract thinking - one can go an extra mile and mention that _in_case_ our assumptions about these benefits are true, one could try those career paths as well.

So, I'd say that the format of a complete answer should be something like "due to the lack of imagination I'd recommend you to avoid [thisandthat] and if you have the [xyz] side effects of it maybe, then you should try [...]"

(yeah, sorry, I guess it's visible that I'm obsessed with logical reasoning :) )

Best careers for aphantastics? 4 months 6 days ago #39222

• Blind_Shaman
  • New Aphantasiac
I was quite successful as an air traffic controller for a while with aphantasia and at the time undiagnosed ADHD, but between the abstract thought and the hyperfoucsing ATC was a breeze it all just makes so much sense. I would actually say that visualization actually hampers some in that field.

Best careers for aphantastics? 3 months 1 week ago #39276

Elementary school teacher here. No major issues other than I do seem to have more difficulty remembering faces than the typical teacher. I saw from a few other replies the mention of math/abstract thinking/computer programming. I am a math major who currently teaches tech. I also have ADHD as a few others mentioned.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds