Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

TOPIC: Dreaming

Dreaming 9 months 1 week ago #4824

• Mabexlee324
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Last night I finally remembered one specific moment in my dream, so I guess I do dream still haha. I have my guardian angel numbers (337) tattooed on my left forearm and I remember looking at my arm, I guess to show someone or something my tattoo, and it wasn't even there. Now, when I woke up I didn't even realize I had a dream, I was getting breakfast ready and glanced at my arm and all of a sudden I remembered that scene of my dream.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dreaming 9 months 1 week ago #4826

• INFP
  • New Aphantasiac
I dream every night but I don't dream pictures, I dream a story and although it feels normal at the time when I wake up I can't recall what anyone looks like.

Dreaming 8 months 1 week ago #4912

• dgreenemd
  • New Aphantasiac
I do dream, in color, in images. I don't recall smells or tastes but do recall sounds in my dreams.

Dreaming 5 months 2 weeks ago #5182

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I often wake up and think, "whoah, I was somewhere else in a totally different reality that split second before my eyes opened and I woke up." Sometimes I cannot remember what exactly it was, but that it was real and visual and often vivid. Occasionally it will come to me a while later.

Dreaming 5 months 1 week ago #5203

• Bobby
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Believe in modus ponens, it's everything.
  • Thank you received: 1
Yep, I do dream in colors (and hear sounds, music) - sometimes when I'm half awake/asleep I can hear/see these things even in my conscious state for like 1-2 secs; then they fade away.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Bobby. Reason: correcting punctuation

Dreaming 5 months 5 days ago #5226

• astauber
  • New Aphantasiac
I don't dream much, but when I do, I don't see images, just "ideas".

Aaron

Dreaming 5 months 4 days ago #5232

• AndreasL98
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I do dream and I do actually see what I dream, but I cannot see those images again once I wake up. Sometimes I will have the exact same dream again, but It won't happen the same way or something. It's like I remember what happened in the previous dream and I just sort of alter the way things happen and in what order they do.

I have ONCE remembered exactly what happened in a dream, but I think that's because that dream was situated somewhere I frequently visit and with someone who I frequently see.

But yeah, I do dream and I do see the dreams, I just can't "see" the dream again once I wake up. I sometimes even remember what I dreamt and how it looked. It weird, this whole thing is weird tbh. Are we the next step in human evolution, or the previous one? I don't know.

- Andreas Lorentzen.

Dreaming 5 months 4 days ago #5233

• AndreasL98
  • New Aphantasiac
Also, As I forgot to add, I don't actually seem to dream every night, but this might just have something to do with something else I have, not Aphantasia. Not sure if it's relevant, just wanted to mention it :)

Dreaming 5 months 3 days ago #5238

• Bobby
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Believe in modus ponens, it's everything.
My guess for the "I don't actually seem to dream every night" is that you're simply normal, if enough time (~a few minutes) passes after the REM phase before you wake up then you will not remember it.

The explanation is something like that during sleep your mind is doing maintenance, it does not behave "normally" so what you see in your dreams is usually garbage. It would be harmful to mix these false memories with the real ones so it's kind of a protection that your mind tries not to remember to them. This does not work sometimes - e.g. if you wake up quicker - and that's when you remember.

You can test this by asking someone to watch you sleeping and when you start moving your eyes rapidly, wake you up; in this case you should be able to remember your dream (and maybe still "see" those images for a few secs if you're the type of aphantasiac whose imagination is just switched off when awake).
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndreasL98

Dreaming 5 months 3 days ago #5240

• AndreasL98
  • New Aphantasiac
That's really interesting, but what I was referring to when I said "Something else I might have" was the fact that I struggle a great deal with ADHD and for some reason I don't seem to enter REM-sleep that often (this has been tested when I was younger and also more recently with me resting while they monitor my brain activity in certain areas). For some unknown reason, my brain doesn't "shut down" as it normally would (think of it as sort of an "alert state") when I am sleeping, causing me to be in a constant state of lucid dreaming (I'm not sure if this is right, it's just the words my doctors used to describe it) and seldom ever really fall into deep sleep, causing me to feel mentally fatigued when I wake up.

Again, I'm not a scientist in this and it's not an exact science as the "degree" of ADHD I have is apparently uncommon. I was just referring to the fact that my brain stays awake when I "sleep" so that might be the explanation as to why I don't dream much :)

- Andreas Lorentzen.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds