Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

TOPIC: Inner Reading Voices

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 3 weeks ago #39435

• Kc99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Personally I hear everything in my own voice so when I'm reading a book it's just my own voice reading the words in my head , same if I have a song stuck in my head it's just my voice singing it over and over again (no instruments and no artist voices)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 2 weeks ago #39450

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I also have earwigs. Only the words, over, and over again.

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 2 weeks ago #39453

• stringer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
I think all of my thought processes, together with all reading, involve my silently saying the words to myself in my mind, since I don't know of any other way to "think about things." But I am not aware of any actual impression of a voice; it seems to me it is a silent process of thinking of the words in my mind.

I have also tried to figure out what goes on in my dreams. These sometimes involve people, where spoken interactions presumably must occur in order to keep the storyline going. But I don't think I have ever in my dreams had the impression of hearing anyone speak. It seems to be a silent process where I and the other participants somehow know what others have said.

As far as I can tell, I have never in my life heard an internal voice. Possibly, in dreams, I "see" pictures, but I am really not sure. When I am awake I never see internal images, I just "know what things look like." Maybe in my dreams it is no different, and I never actually "see" images. With voices, both when awake and thinking about sounds, and in dreams, I suspect I only ever know what is said, but I never have an internal impression of actually hearing what is said.

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 5 days ago #39508

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
I hadn't thought about voices, other than the ones I joke about in my head. Just now reading this I had to think, and no I do not hear a voice in my head when I am reading. If The story gets too descriptive (scenery especially) I skip ahead.

I get earwigs, I can't explain it, but I will try. It is like someone is throwing the words at me, no tune to them. I know the words are rattling around and won't go away for a long time sometimes.

I cannot imitate accents or particular way someone speaks because I can't seem to grab their voice.

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 3 days ago #39511

• gage117
  • New Aphantasiac
I don't hear a voice in my head as I read. I simply see the words and understand what is being said. I cannot remember the words well, and without forcing a voice into my head as I read, I cannot remember the books that I read. I can though, as just mentioned, pull up voices in my head and read in those voices. It's pretty much limited to my only practiced one now, which is of course Morgan Freeman. Sure, it sounds really cool BUT I have to read at a pace that sounds realistic to his, which is slow. If I had to compare speed of reading to voices, I would say I have to choose between slow reading in Freeman's voice, but being able to remember what I read decently; and choosing no voice, probably not remembering shortly after what I read, but I can read a lot faster. Like Chris Farley on cocaine fast. I'm so much faster without a voice that I'll read something, think about whether it's important to remember, and if so I'll reread it in voice.

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 2 days ago #39514

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
I dont like reading at all. I am very good in understanding things taught to me. I can relate my thoughts to real things very easily. I dream a lot but i never remember my dreams. Its hard to explain. I have an internal voice which helps me to think about things all the time. So, i am a very normal person and i am capable of doing everything. But i wish to 'imagine' someday! It seems like a superpower that most people can imagine!!!

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 1 day ago #39518

• Sitrus
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I can only hear my own inner voice. I don't really recognise it as my own voice (I'm... Not always sure the "voice" has a voice..?) but it's also not someone else's. I can't recall what other people sound like and I can't make the voice sound like it belonged to a different person. I also can't imagine all sounds and I am more or less always doing physical stuff like moving my tongue (especially when reading in my native language and a word has an r because I can't imagine a proper aveolar trill in my head nor can I ignore it) and vocal cords according to what I'm reading or even just thinking and sometimes also pacing my breathing to match. If I'm doing that I can't really keep the voice going inside my head without doing it. I don't make any actual sounds despite all the physical things.

I probably don't need to specify this but I am a pretty slow reader...
on a stroll
Last Edit: 9 months 1 day ago by Sitrus.

Inner Reading Voices 9 months 1 day ago #39519

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
Slow reading is not a characteristic of aphantasia. You are just as smart as anybody else in this world. Might be smarter..! Most of the people read slow to grasp more. Nobody is a genius to get everything in his/her brain by a single and fast reading of the text! So ,cherish your life! You dont lack anything! You are just different! Imagination has nothing to do with understanding ,for you atleast! :)

Inner Reading Voices 8 months 3 days ago #39551

• Hollydolly
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
I have no inner voice when reading except for dialogue, which I hear as my own voice. With all the changes in pitch, tone, inflection that I imagine the characters to have. I have always been an avid reader. I enjoy reading aloud to my children, but I also never remember the voice I gave to a character the last time.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 3 weeks ago #39576

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I am just going to crosspost this because it maybe applies?

The other night while coming down from mdma:
I had a conversation with what must have been my subconscious self in a way I have never experienced before. Normally, when I have a conversation in my head voice, it is not audible (cant really describe) but it is always myself on either side of the debate or conversation, and its the same voice. on mdma I had a conversation with a voice that was definitely audible (in my head) and the same voice as mine, but my perception was that it was someone else. Fortunately, it was doing nothing but build me up with positive insight into every negative thing I mentioned. After the fact, I understood that this "other" must have been my subconscious.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 3 weeks ago #39578

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
Good to hear that moyer...!! You know, its always mentioned in the articles, and the explanations given by the researchers that aphantasia doesnt cause any distress... I agree.... And maybe, everyone agrees.... But one important thing that they fail to mention is that it may create a feeling of inferiority in some people, especially tennagers..! Some might think,"how good i could have been at physics or chemistry, if only i could imagine the real situations in kinematics! "... But the truth is that, after all, we can still figure out and deal with the academics well enough..!!!

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39584

• stringer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
@Vishal2000 wrote:
Good to hear that moyer...!! You know, its always mentioned in the articles, and the explanations given by the researchers that aphantasia doesnt cause any distress... I agree.... And maybe, everyone agrees.... But one important thing that they fail to mention is that it may create a feeling of inferiority in some people, especially tennagers..! Some might think,"how good i could have been at physics or chemistry, if only i could imagine the real situations in kinematics! "... But the truth is that, after all, we can still figure out and deal with the academics well enough..!!!

Funny you should say that, about physics and chemistry. My career is as a research physicist, and it was only about 18 months ago that I learned I had total aphantasia. I can't really visualise anything I work on in my mind, and I mostly work with equations and theoretical concepts. I sometimes wonder, now that I realise that I'm lacking some of the visualisation abilities of my colleagues, if I could have done better if I didn't have aphantasia. My conclusion is that it's not clear it would have been better, but it would certainly have been different. I don't feel any distress though, just an ongoing amazement and fascination with the idea that there are people who can actually see things in their minds.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39586

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
Sir, your profession is exactly what i have always wanted to be since i was a child... Hahaha... But after i came to know about my aphantasia, i was a bit depressed and i have switched to commerce after my high school exams this year, so as to get a bachelors degree first.... Because i just made an assumption that i cannot be the best at science because visualizers are in an advantage... And commerce certainly does not require much visualization.... Einstein used to do thought experiments, and that is what lead him to discover the theory of special relativity....! And certainly, i know that images make things easier.... Hahaha!!

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39601

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
@Vishal2000 wrote:
I completely disagree!! yes it causes a high level of distress. I cannot do anything which I want because I cannot visualize, so I must give up my life calling and find something else I guess. The good news is I am 66 and most of my life has been lived.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39604

• @Vishal2000
  • New Aphantasiac
I'll make u understand with an example........
Lets suppose that there are two people and both are extremely famous. One of them might feel like he/she is so lucky and that his life would not have been so good if he wasnt famous...he is enjoying the way he is, and the spotlight/attention doesnt bother him... But, the second person might feel as if his celebrity status is not letting him/her to live in peace,,, the spotlight/attention makes him sick.... and eventually he gets succumbed to his own depressive thoughts, and he kills himself... So things are relative.. If its good for some, it might be bad for others... But if u accept yourself the way u are, you will not be able to feel sad even if u try.....!! :)

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39605

• Alyeis
  • New Aphantasiac
I have an inner reading voice and also inner reasoning voice, like I talk to myself but not out loud. It 'sounds' like me but more in mannerisms and vocabulary way than what I actually sound like, but it's also just me.

A comparison would be my inner voice is like a song, my outer voice is like that song coming out of a scratchy/fuzzy speaker.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39611

• AlanC
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I wonder ....

Perhaps an inner voice is internalized at a young age, and then as our voices change with age it no longer sounds quite like us on recordings. That may be why so many people "hate the way they sound" on video or other recorded settings.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39612

• AlanC
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I was a professional programmer (and a good one). Computer programs are somewhat like lists of equations. I found that since my memory of the program would fade, I learned to quickly scan the code every time I looked at it (even if I was the one who created that section). I believe this process of always rechecking my work and in a way, relearning it was one of the things which made me successful. It was very rare that a mistake made it past these multiple scans and re scans. most of my colleagues relied more on their memory, and when it was a bit faulty then so was their results.

Inner Reading Voices 7 months 2 weeks ago #39613

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
@Vishal2000 wrote:
I'll make u understand with an example........
Lets suppose that there are two people and both are extremely famous. One of them might feel like he/she is so lucky and that his life would not have been so good if he wasnt famous...he is enjoying the way he is, and the spotlight/attention doesnt bother him... But, the second person might feel as if his celebrity status is not letting him/her to live in peace,,, the spotlight/attention makes him sick.... and eventually he gets succumbed to his own depressive thoughts, and he kills himself... So things are relative.. If its good for some, it might be bad for others... But if u accept yourself the way u are, you will not be able to feel sad even if u try.....!! :)
I comprehend what you are saying, however your logic is faulty.
A contented person, by your logic, should never be upset or unhappy. Only those who have never been devastated by a loss can be always happy. I am content with myself, yet I admit I am pissed off at my condition.
I still completely disagree with you. It is nice that we are all allowed to have our own opinions.

Inner Reading Voices 6 months 2 weeks ago #39702

• Dxrkhunter
  • New Aphantasiac
sian* wrote:
I hear what I think of as my own voice, with pitch, tone etc when reading. I don't think I hear other people's voices reading. I've been recently trying to speedread some quite dense texts but haven't got very far - maybe because I'm thinking too much about speed reading, or maybe because I find it more difficult to 'get' things without subvocalising. I can speedread fiction pretty well though.

This is me!

Inner Reading Voices 4 months 1 week ago #39934

• Julian_K
  • New Aphantasiac
I do have an inner voice, any voice i want really, like morgan freemans. I can't imagine new voices however, for example i cant give characters voices, but i can use a voice i know.

Inner Reading Voices 3 months 2 weeks ago #39972

When I read a book there are many voices each distinct for the book if that makes any sense. There is the narrator voice, the narrator voice is usually some sort of modified version of my base internal voice. Now each time a character makes an appearance my brain gives them a voice and that voice is theirs from that point on and forever. As for sound effects and things to descriptions of sounds those sometimes occur but not always. Also when I read a statement from someone online that I know its always in their voice. If there is a meme with a character it is also in their voice. If I do not know you my brain just randomly gives you some neutral androgynous tone that is different from my base internal voice.
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds