Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

TOPIC: Inner Reading Voices

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4000

• ellesse
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
My inner voice basically sounds like myself when reading normally however, I can sort of manipulate the voice so it can sound like someone else if that makes sense? So if there are different characters in a book I can manipulate my inner voice so they sound like different people when I'm reading what they're saying.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4047

• andItsPeter
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I, like most of the above people, do not have "inner reading voices".
I do however do voices for the characters if reading aloud, but I can't remember what they sounded like if I change character/voice so people's accents change a lot

Edit: clarification, I do have an inner voice, just not new ones for each character
Picture it...
how?
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by andItsPeter.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4051

• Dewhurst
  • New Aphantasiac
I'm the same as you, I have to hear my inner voice to really grasp somthing.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4112

• Zalminen
  • New Aphantasiac
I don't have an inner voice when reading, possibly because I learned to read with whole words when I was four instead of letter by letter like many people do. So I read too fast for an inner voice to keep up with anyway.
Then again I can't bring up any voices in my head anyway, apart from two exceptions:
1) Music. I can usually bring up a song I've heard, often with the artist's voice.
2) Right before falling asleep, I often hear 'background chatter', like multiple voices talking nonsense nearby. None of the voices belong to people I know though.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4118

• BlindInMyMind
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
I have "total" aphantasia - I cannot imagine voices, smells, etc. As such, I only "hear" my own voice when thinking or reading ;-) It can get quite on your nerves ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, Blackstage, elise

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4127

• JOHNNEL
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi. my experience is hearing a voice while reading and if the character is one that i have heard,i.e. a book thats been filmed, or tv show i hear that specific voice talking.with great detail pitch breath pause etc indistinguishable to real hearing. this also holds true for music its like i have a jukebox or mp3 player in my head not only the voice but the instruments are in my mind. clear, in tune and at my command to recall at will,much of my career has been involved with playing instruments and making them( well guitars at least.) and I've listened to an awful lot of music over last 60 years.hen david bowie died i started to play diamond dogs straight away in my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, Blackstage

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 11 months ago #4128

• Pattern-chaser
  • New Aphantasiac
Interesting. Now that I think about it, I don't hear voices in my mind when I read. I just sort of read the text of their thoughts, if that makes sense. Hey, there's a lot to this Aphantasia stuff. Every time I find out more, I have to go back again to see if I can or cannot do whatever it is. This is a bit of a roller-coaster! ;)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4161

• Addison723
  • New Aphantasiac
I never here voices, but i am still able to have conversations in my head (Talking to myself type thing). I don't think i ever have reenable too, but every now and then i will read a message from a really close family member or friend and hear their voice. It really has only happened once or twice and it actually kinda scared me! I

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4163

• Dinosaurs.win
  • New Aphantasiac
When I read it's in a voice, but it doesn't have a tone or volume or anything its just the sounds the words should make, that's also how alot of my thoughts are they're just descriptions in words and the more I think about something the better I could describe it. I also hear the words I type as I type them, this might be because I'm dyslexic so I listened to alot of audio books as a child but there's only ever one voice in my head that stays the same for all my thoughts and reading. Reading also stimulates some ineffable thoughts sometimes like thinking about and action without something that does that action, alas I wish I had words to describe an example of one but I can't which I guess is why it's literally ineffable.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4165

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 35
I don't exactly hear a voice in my head. I have words in my head, but they're not 'spoken'. There is no tone, no pitch, no sound at all, but there are still words.
I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. Like Addison I can have conversations in my mind, but there is no sense of actually hearing a voice in any way.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Velvet.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4169

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
Thank you so very much for all the responses...the variety of responses in terms of different and unique experiences, opens up totally new research questions.
This is great guys! Thank you once again for taking the time to respond :) Truly truly appreciate it!!!

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4175

• nicki
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Gosh, this is all so interesting. I have only today discovered there is a name for something I have, which I chanced upon discovering about myself, in 2007. Everyone I mentioned this too, were disbelieving, so reading that there are so many others out there just like me, is rather exciting! I hear in my own voice when reading - any characters in a book are my voice - modified for a character, if I think of a song, it is my own voice I hear singing it. I have no mental imagery unless I am asleep and then my dreams are vivid and I can lucid dream. I have no mental picture of any of my family unless I am looking at a photograph of them, but I have no problem identifying people I know. I find it fascinating that when I mentioned to my family I didn't "see" anything when I tried to imagine something, they were disbelieving and though I was exaggerating or faking somehow, yet I had no problem believing that they could "see" things that aren't really there - funny :-)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4185

• Cryston
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I don't think "Voice" is the right term for how I read and process textual content. It's more like translated to words and if I think about how it would sound then it would be audible, but much or most of the time I think about a word without sound associated to the word.

Though it's near silent during most thought, I do think of my process in the form of words. There's a ton of non textual content in there too, which I'm starting to extract especially when it is a literal stand-in for the normal visualization people have.

For example, there's a contextual non-word in my head that describes the curling of indian designs. There's no real word for it, but if I start stripping down a definition in the area that's influenced by aphantasia, I will inevitably run into at least one of these non-words.

The words only have a voice if I force them to have them, otherwise, it's a very weird silence inside my head of words that are sequenced but silent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, Pattern-chaser, Blackstage

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4186

• Pattern-chaser
  • New Aphantasiac
Thanks, Cryston. That describes my reading experience well, but I couldn't think how to express it properly. :)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 10 months ago #4257

• AlanC
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I have an inner voice. It reads to me when I read, it dictates to me when I write. It also keeps up a constant chatter most of the time, sort of internal comments on what I'm seeing or hearing at the moment. When I speak, it's the same voice only with the additional action of talking. It sometimes causes me a problem in conversations because my inner voice will be "talking" to me while it is my turn to listen in the conversation. I have to strain to pay attention and not to appear totally self-centered. I think my lack of visual and sound imagery leaves only my inner voice to give me a sense of awareness.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 9 months ago #4296

• elteepee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
my inner voice is not like a sound it's more similar to muscle memory used for speaking, I can only read as fast as I can talk and I talk slooowwwlllyy
The following user(s) said Thank You: ussfa344

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 9 months ago #4310

• maybe
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm completely sense memory blind but I do have an inner monologue and when I read or type I "speak" along with it in my mind. What I don't have is accents so if I'm reading, all speakers sound just like me. If that makes sense. yet I have an ear for languages and some accents I pick up quickly if I'm surrounded by them for any length of time.

HTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackstage

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 9 months ago #4313

• AlanC
  • New Aphantasiac
I get what you say about accents. I have two separate windows open with very different text by different authors from different cultures, and yet my internal narration of what I am reading is in exactly the same voice.

The internal voice has always been there, but only now do I sometimes analyze it, sort of like yet another awareness paying attention to my internal awareness. It's sort of like when you become distinctly aware that you are breathing and for awhile you can't stop noticing your breath without stopping breathing (which doesn't last long). Eventually something will grab my attention and it won't be this circular focus anymore.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 9 months ago #4380

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
This description also seems very similar for me. I have loved reading for many, many years, soaking stories and information up thirstily. I can read extremely fast and intake whole sentences often, not skipping descriptions, but it is somewhat mechanical and tiresomw, not very enjoyable. I do NOT feel or hear sound when I read that way.

However, for quite a few years I have forced myself to slow down to enjoy reading more . As a result, I have noticed that reveling in the richness of the writing style has become one of the main reasons I read. I read in a few different languages and it is extra enjoyable, like feeling chocolate melting in your mouth: I slow down, like I am reading outloud for someone else, but I am actually reading silently to myself but feel-tasting the words.

Since moving into a house with a more "open format" I have noticed I become extremely irritated when I read and cannot block out sounds. It creates a lot of tension for me - however, reading many posts on this forum have made me realize that I have unconsciuosly learned to block out sounds: in order to read more peacefully, I guess the words have become louder in my mind to drown out the noises around me.

The words I read or type are definitely in my own voice in my head. One of the reasons I like to speak with other people and not be alone with myself (my own voice) AGAIN... I do not converse back and forth with myself in my head, however, then I would really be concerned. Lol. But I do talk outloud to myself in a variety of situations, I just never consciously thought about shutting my mouth and talking silently to myself, except in cases where I think things and simply decide not to say them out loud to other people.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Blackstage.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 9 months ago #4450

• Konstantin
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Same for me - have my own inner voice, but can "hear" different voices, women, children, whatever.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 8 months ago #4494

• tplummer
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi!
I have total aphantasia, so I can't hear anything inside my head. Oddly enough, while I do have an inner voice, it's not a voice per se. Not only that, but I read too fast for any voice to keep up. So instead what I have instead is a kind of voice inside my head that I utilize for thinking or anything else, it has no characteristics of a voice besides word spacing. The best way I can describe it is as if you were reading a language you couldn't read, or if you had a volume knob that was at 0 but you could still hear the voice.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 8 months ago #4498

• Pattern-chaser
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi <tplummer>! My experience is very similar to what you describe. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 6 months ago #4807

• oncetwice
  • New Aphantasiac
Late to the conversation, but I had to reply as having an inner voice while reading is something I noticed first as a kid, and always wondered if others did it as well.

It's my own voice, but kinda hollow. In order to really grasp what I'm reading or writing, I have to enounciate it in my head, and even feel myself saying it (in my head). I hate speed reading, as then I don't have time to voice each word in my head. Kinda weird when I reflect on it. :lol:

Sound, physicality and touch are really important to me to navigate the world and process stimuli, so maybe that's why.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 6 months ago #4836

• AlanC
  • New Aphantasiac
<i>Sound, physicality and touch are really important to me</i>

Yes, In addition my inner voice repeats itself (unless I am physically talking to someone else) and tries to improve the text of the reading material. I can read fast until I encounter an aquward sentence and then I go into full editor mode and try to improve it. I have been known to quote a passage with my "improved" version without realizing that I am not verbatim.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by AlanC.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 4 months ago #4979

• AAreader
  • New Aphantasiac
I am really interested in internal mental representation, especially mental imagery and inner voices/narration.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by AAreader.
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds