Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

TOPIC: Inner Reading Voices

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3696

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi All, i am a student doing research on inner reading voices and would really appreciate your help to find answers to certain questions. Many claim that they hear an imagined voice when reading and claim that this voice comes from within. At the same time, there are also many who report that they do not hear anything while reading and are only able to understand what they read. Both are considered normal experiences.
I recently read an account of a man with aphantasia, who said that his inability to generate imagery is compensated generously by the ability to hear a voice with tone, pitch, loudness etc when reading and thinking

Hence, I'm really curious to find out what the actual experience is from those who have aphantasia and would really truly appreciate if you can share your personal experiences with me. Thank you so very much in advance for your time :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3697

• zippercow
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
I personally only process information as I read it; I do not hear any voices in my head. I cannot actively recall any senses though, so I've never really thought much about reading in particular.

I do give characters voices in stories I read aloud to my children, but I can't ever remember what they last sounded like, so I think the characters have different voices each time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tilma, andItsPeter, BPResearch

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3698

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
Cool. That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to respond :)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3700

• Juliasnz
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Life gives you lemons... so YOU can make lemonade!
I don't hear any inner voices when I read but I do remember being really stunned when I first saw an animated Asterix cartoon. The Asterix character had a VERY high pitched voice and that was definitely NOT what I'd expected to hear... LOL
:P
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3702

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
zippercow wrote:
I personally only process information as I read it; I do not hear any voices in my head. I cannot actively recall any senses though, so I've never really thought much about reading in particular.

I do give characters voices in stories I read aloud to my children, but I can't ever remember what they last sounded like, so I think the characters have different voices each time.

The same for me.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3704

• sian*
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 12
I hear what I think of as my own voice, with pitch, tone etc when reading. I don't think I hear other people's voices reading. I've been recently trying to speedread some quite dense texts but haven't got very far - maybe because I'm thinking too much about speed reading, or maybe because I find it more difficult to 'get' things without subvocalising. I can speedread fiction pretty well though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, monica_45

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3710

• lindajdunn
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a constantly running voice in my head when I'm reading which is a little odd considering:
1. I have a hearing impairment and speech impediment but the voice I hear sounds (to me) perfect. It's an internal voice.
2. I can speed read. In college, I could read faster than the highest setting on the reading devices. I did not hear individual words when I was speed reading.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3716

• Benpai
  • New Aphantasiac
I don't hear a voice in my head while I read, and when I read aloud, I can not take in/understand what I'm reading. I am able to 'hear' my friend's voices in my head however, but I do not have an internal monologue.
None of my friends believe that aphantasia is real, so I want to help raise awareness!

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3718

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
I don't have a voice in my head but I do have a monotonal dialogue which I cannot hear. its hard to describe its like a silent single tone voice silently reading or. going over what I want to think about. infaet the more i try to explain it the harder it is to do so.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3719

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
Interesting :) This voice.....does it have qualities such as loudness and pitch?

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3720

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
Yep, I think I get what you are trying to say. My experience of the inner voice has similar qualities :)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3721

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
When you hear your friend's voices is it like an actual heard voice e.g. loudness, pitch etc?

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3722

• Benpai
  • New Aphantasiac
Well, I thought it did when I was younger but now it's kinda faint and hard to hold onto. It's like they're very far away and I can barely hear them.
None of my friends believe that aphantasia is real, so I want to help raise awareness!

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3734

• firemonkey
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
I hear my own inner voice. It is my own but less mumbly and indistinct than my actual talking voice.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 3 months ago #3818

• wellannihal
  • New Aphantasiac
Fundamentally, the term aphantasia means not being able to visualize.

But there are different degrees of aphantasia. It can be not visualizing, but also not being able to imagine mentally any of the other 4 senses.

In my case, not only I can't visualize, but also I can't imagine smells, sounds, touching anything, or the taste of food.

I hope my answer was useful!

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3918

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I have an internal voice that i think is the same as when I speak out loud, just no sound. It is also different than perceiving sound with my ears. I have experienced auditory hallucination one time while under a significant psilocybin dose. I swear I was HEARING music produced by the environment. It felt completely real as if someone was playing music down the beach across the dunes a ways. But at the same time I knew it was music, I knew it was made up of all these individual sounds in my environment, including wind/waves, dirt bikes in the distance, and the way the clouds were some 4th dimensional shape. I know it was a massive synesthesia moment.

-Joel

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3925

• BlankCanvas
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Interesting question. I hear what I think is my own voice when I read but I am not speaking aloud. Like one other person said, I am unable to retain what someone has read aloud to me unless it is something I have read to myself at some point or unless I am reading along.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3937

• Ginny
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't hear any inner voice, but enjoy reading. I read and process the information in front of me, but tend to skip over very descriptive bits as they don't evoke any imagery, or smells or sounds for me. I usually stick to crime fiction and focus on the facts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, Jojo W

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3938

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
My silent voice has no time

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3940

• stu204
  • New Aphantasiac
Really great question OP. When it comes to reading, I never really liked reading and do not do it for pleasure. As a child my older brother was really into fantasy books like lord of the rings and comic books, I never got into either personally. However at least with comic books, there were the visual images to go along with them. I can't recall a time while reading where I ever actively heard the sound of a character's voice, however, I also was not very interested in the reading.

When I have a personal issue that I am dealing with, like a disagreement with a friend or family member, I am able to go back and replay that conversation in my head and hear perfectly clear the conversation. Tone, Pitch, and words. I can even stop the conversation mid point and change the words I use to "see" the different possible outcomes, that effect, most likely would have on the conversation and anticipate how the other involved parties response's would change, all while hearing them in their own sounds, as well as mine. If it is not going towards my desired outcome, I can stop go back and edit accordingly.

It is rather mentally and emotionally exhausting to do so, so I normally only do this when there is an issue where there are strong attachments that have a great impact on my life. Really for problem solving purposes. When it comes to being able to relate to and understand peoples emotional behaviors I have always had issues in that area and feel extremely awkward around people. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to interacting with people although most people would never have a clue from my outward image that I present of myself.

I have learned how to identify cues and behavior markers that indicate to myself, thing's like eye contact, tone, hand movements, shifting of position of their body, it helps me to analyze the situation and learn how people are reacting to various situations and interactions, so that allows me to be able to try and in the moment adjust my behavior accordingly. Although I do not actually understand their "feelings", I am able to pick up, if I am in the right frame of mind, and have empathy for them. This allows me to try and reach a connection with that person, and allows me a chance to try and find the right words to offer a solution to the problem.

This has been a useful tool in my life, even though it would be easy to use it to manipulate people and situations, for a short term gain, long term that would be rather counterproductive. If anything it is a skill that I find more useful for defensive purposes as it often allows me to remain one step ahead of people with bad intentions, thus allowing me to shelter myself and loved ones from any harm that one might wish to inflict, mentally, physically, emotionally, or financially.

Hope this make sense and is helpful to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, Benpai

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3941

• Benpai
  • New Aphantasiac
Stu what you are describing here about the replaying and editing is almost exactly what I do, and I also do it when I have a disagreement with a friend or family member. After an argument, I also replay the conversation in my head and discover much better things I could have said and hear the outcome. Thanks for posting as this really relates to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPResearch, stu204

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3946

• stu204
  • New Aphantasiac
Benpai, that is selfishly awesome for me to hear! I knew the mathematical probabilities were on my side where I must not be the only one, so it is quite comforting to now understand that this does in fact ring true.

Thanks to you for sharing. After a lifetime of the universe making it abundantly clear that I am different from the others, and me wondering if this was some sort of cruel cosmic joke the whole time, I find this equal to being a lone survivor on the walking dead and now finally running into another survivor. Pretty overjoyed, but I am sure you most likely know what I mean.

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3950

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
That's interesting. I did not know that. Thanks a bunch for the valuable insight :)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3951

• BPResearch
  • New Aphantasiac
That is fascinating! and thank you so much for taking the time to go into detail about your experience :) It definitely adds a different dimension to my understanding :)

Inner Reading Voices 1 year 2 months ago #3953

• GGB_Baker
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
My reading voice is my inner voice, that is how I think I sound. Pitch and inflection are there, but in my own voice. As far as replying conversations, or arguments, well that is in my voice too, and I don't know that replaying them would be the right term for what I do, as much as analyze what was said and what I could have done or said differently to change the outcome.
I rather enjoy reading, and can recall what was said and described and "reread" if you will. All done in my reading inner voice. The one that is always there. Even when I'd like it to be quiet.
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds