Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

TOPIC: Faces

Faces 4 months 1 week ago #40124

• jody
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Quick question for a paper I'm writing....

Do you remember people's faces how they were in the past?

i.e. if you have children can you, without looking at a photograph, remember what they looked like at 2, or 5 or ten...

if you don't have children can you remember what a parent looked like when you were 2, 5, 10, 15 etc..

I don't want you to answer yes or no for each range, just a yes or no to remembering faces from your past of people that you are likely to see regularly now.
Shit - if only I'd known!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Faces 4 months 6 days ago #40127

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 43
I do indeed remember the faces of loved ones quite clearly from prior to my acquiring aphantasia and prosopagnosia at age 20. Unfortunately, I have no memories of my children's faces that were born after I got shop.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jody

Faces 3 months 4 weeks ago #40128

• Appookta
  • New Aphantasiac
There needs to be a definition of "remember". For a person with no visual abilities with his eyes closed, but the ability to recognize a person wherever that person is met, doesn't the person has a perfect memory of the person's face? I can't picture anything in my head, but I recognize my neighbor, mailman, etc., wherever I come in contact with them. Same with my dentist, doctor, etc. I can't even imagine what it's like to "see" anything on command. So how do these fit into your question? How can I say "yes" or "no" if I don't know what you mean by remember?

Faces 3 months 4 weeks ago #40131

• jody
  • New Aphantasiac
Sorry you didn’t find my question straightforward and I’m not sure how I could fave made it clearer. Remembering something and internal imagery are not mutually exclusive. If you recognise people then you must be remembering them otherwise how do you know that you know them? Unless of course you also have amnesia?

For myself I only recognise people from the last time that I saw them. If it’s twenty years since I’ve seen someone then chances are I won’t recognise them now if they have changed...but to go back to the question I posed - I don’t “remember how my son looked when he was 4, or 9 or 15. I simply have no Memory for historical faces. YET - and off topic - I can describe the internal layout of every house I’ve ever lived in!

I believe I am congenitally aphantasic, no voluntary internal mental imagery though some extremely limited involuntary imagery in dreams.
Shit - if only I'd known!
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by jody. Reason: To try and clarify what I meant by remember.

Faces 3 months 3 weeks ago #40133

• astauber
  • New Aphantasiac
Jody,

Here's my response to your questions:
Do you remember people's faces how they were in the past? [Response] No, unless I have a picture of how they looked in the past.

i.e. if you have children can you, without looking at a photograph, remember what they looked like at 2, or 5 or ten... [Response] No, I can't.

Your comment "For myself I only recognise people from the last time that I saw them. If it’s twenty years since I’ve seen someone then chances are I won’t recognise them now if they have changed...but to go back to the question I posed - I don’t “remember how my son looked when he was 4, or 9 or 15. I simply have no Memory for historical faces. YET - and off topic - I can describe the internal layout of every house I’ve ever lived in!" describes my condition, including being able to describe internal layout of all places I've been to. Hope this helps. If not, please do a follow up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jody
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds