Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

Poll: Pareidolia - do you have this?

Yes, I have this! 8 53.3%
Sort of, I mean I can see things when it's obvious 4 26.7%
Others have to point things out to me, then I can see it... sometimes 1 6.7%
Not at all. 2 13.3%
Total number of voters: 15 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Aphantasia and Pareidolia

Aphantasia and Pareidolia 1 year 2 months ago #39996

• ishnessocity
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
So, last night I discovered I have Aphantasia. I am 35 and until recently, I thought I was like everyone else. My husband, who might be hyperphantasic, has been trying to get me to visualize for months and was adamant that I was seeing what he saw, but just not quantifying it the same way. I know now that I'm the rarity and the vast majority of people can actually visualize. As an artist, this news has been soul crushing. I'm no different today than I was two days ago, but now I know that I've missed out on an entire aspect of the human experience that I would so greatly benefit from (in the artistic aspect of my life mostly). I think back to my childhood and can't help but cry when I think of my friends and their imaginary friends vs mine. I made up shit, they actually SAW their friends and talked with them... its been hard to process.

I also recently came across the term Pareidolia which is defined as a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus, usually an image or a sound, by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists. Like seeing faces in the clouds and stuff like that. I do this to the extreme and it seems to come naturally to me.

My immediate thought last night was did my Aphantasia play a role in developing Pareidolia? Are they connected? So... I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and to know if you have Pareidolia as well.

Btw, my thinking that these are connected is that since I couldn't imagine in my head, I had to use external stimuli to conjure images like others do internally. Maybe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ameshin

Aphantasia and Pareidolia 1 year 2 months ago #40014

• chris_73
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Whenever I’m in the shower I see faces and creatures in the marble patterns. I assumed everyone did. Don’t they?

Aphantasia and Pareidolia 1 year 2 months ago #40016

• ishnessocity
  • New Aphantasiac
Apparently not. I guess people with pareiodia see things all the time, everywhere, easily. Others might be able to see it if we point it out.

Aphantasia and Pareidolia 1 year 1 month ago #40038

• Robin_50
  • New Aphantasiac
I've always found images in random patterns. I recently took up a new craft called needle felting. I described it to my friend as taking a bunch of fluffy wool and finding the shapes in it just like you do with clouds then stabbing it into shape with a barbed needle until it gets firm.
Apparently she couldn't see things in clouds like this and she just looked at me confused.
Does anyone know how rare Pareidolia is?
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Robin_50.

Aphantasia and Pareidolia 1 year 1 month ago #40042

• ishnessocity
  • New Aphantasiac
Evolutionists theorize that all humans must have had the ability to recognize faces (safe vs. unsafe) for survival, but that skill hasn't been required for some time so it's possible that we've bred it out of necessity. I've found articles that suggest it's rare and others that suggest it's innate and therefore abundant... Not sure which is accurate.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds