Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

Poll: Can you recall situations and feel the emotions like you were just there?

Absolutely, most any prior situation, I can still feel what it felt like for me (emotionally). 18 34%
I think so, I get a twinge of something but I'm not sure if it's the same strength as it used to be. 9 17%
No, sort of like aphantasia, I can tell you about it but I can't feel it anymore. 26 49.1%
Total number of voters: 53 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Emotional memory? Can you feel it?

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1773

• KM
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm wondering how many of us can recall the emotional feelings of prior situations (good and bad) and still "feel" them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1774

• Mike_M
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 18
KM wrote:
I'm wondering how many of us can recall the emotional feelings of prior situations (good and bad) and still "feel" them.

Yes, mostly with negative emotions (guilt, shame, anger etc) but I don't know that the emotions I recall are actually memories of the original ones - perhaps I'm simply recalling incidents which are then provoking the emotions again.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1783

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
once the incident is gone then i cant recall it.. I cant relive whatever it was that happened. i took the nickname for online as phoenixmoon because of this the phoenix always rises but now i realise its because i just dont recall the incident and keep it for long enough so its not so much rising but like it never really happened' i i really think aout them i may cringe at the incident ut its not strong and goes almost immediatly
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by phoenixmoon.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1796

• ozvaleron
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Especially when listening to music or looking at old photo's, memories flood back, and I feel the raw emotions totally overpower me. I can't "remember" what the feelings are like, but when they return, I relive them totally.
Memory is totally different, I only "intellectually" remember things, I can't see, hear, or feel thoughts in my mind.
To "think" a thing through, I must talk it through, or write it down, trying to keep it in my mind alone will fail every time, I just lose my place and/or wander off theme.
as you wander through this life my friend
whatever be your goal,
remember always
keep your eye upon the doughnut,
and not upon the hole!
The following user(s) said Thank You: toblave

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1840

• evk
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 22
Mike_M wrote:
perhaps I'm simply recalling incidents which are then provoking the emotions again.
That's probably how it is for me.. Recalling something in the past might ignite emotions. I don't think that I can remember how the emotions felt at the time though.
- We are all aphantastic!

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1854

• PegsAlot
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
evk wrote:
That's probably how it is for me.. Recalling something in the past might ignite emotions. I don't think that I can remember how the emotions felt at the time though.
I feel the same way. I don't think I'm "remembering" the emotion, but recalling an event then triggers a new emotional reaction...if that makes any sense.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 11 months ago #1856

• Mike_M
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 18
PegsAlot wrote:
evk wrote:
I feel the same way. I don't think I'm "remembering" the emotion, but recalling an event then triggers a new emotional reaction...if that makes any sense.

Yes, that makes sense. I can't know whether the emotions I feel now are the same as when the event originally happened - they're probably not - but presumably they're similar.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 10 months ago #1876

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I can have emotions come back (good and bad) to me. It could be photos of my kids or a vacation or footage of the attack on 9/11. I know how I will feel because I remember it from the last time I looked at the photos or whatever.

I still walk out the room when footage is gonna be show on TV or computer.

I try to keep a copy of all my photos on my phone so I can flip through them every now and then.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 10 months ago #1885

• Linden
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
hi all, if I had strong feelings in a situation i would likely remember that but i wouldn't re-experience the sensation in my mind. Linden
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Linden.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 10 months ago #1895

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
Thank you linden. I have been trying to say what you just wrote

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 1 year 10 months ago #1903

• toblave
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Blessed Battleaxe of Tolerance
  • Thank you received: 5
Mike_M wrote:
PegsAlot wrote:
evk wrote:

Yes, that makes sense. I can't know whether the emotions I feel now are the same as when the event originally happened - they're probably not - but presumably they're similar.

I agree. When I look back, sometimes I don't even understand my reactions that were based on the emotions I was feeling at the time, since I have no mental ability to relive those experiences.

Interestingly enough, I do get flashbacks from my PTSD, or at least they were diagnosed as such. It's not that the memories feel like they're happening again, but instead I feel transported back to the experience I had, as if it could be happening again, and I feel like I relieve the emotional and mental content of the experience.

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 2 months 2 weeks ago #39325

• serena_97
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I only feel emotions in the situations that they are in, and when that moment passes the emotions are gone. On top of that, I can easily dismiss most feeling that I have. If I realize that I'm angry then I can release that anger (not suppress it, but remove it from myself) but I can't hold on to emotions for longer than then than the situation. Normally I don't feel much of anything, but in a calm peaceful way, and then the rest just comes and goes. I feel like I can more or less control my emotions when they come to me, but I cannot control them in the sense of thinking about something that has passed and make myself feel the same as I once did. Everything is in the present.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moyer

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 3 weeks 5 days ago #39419

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I could copy and paste serena_97's response. :)

Emotional memory? Can you feel it? 3 weeks 1 day ago #39432

• Kc99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Emotional memory is what effects me most about aphantasia-
For example if I am in a long term relationship and then we break up , I'm upset at first but then after a week or two I basically forget how I felt about them and it doesn't bother me. Or if I'm in a long distance relationship and they are gone for a week I find myself not really caring about them / wanting to be with someone else.

That to me is the most difficult thing I face cause I feel like such a cold hearted bit*h
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds