Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

Poll: What kinds of memories do you have strongly or at a normal level?

Visual Memory - strong or decently strong (See below for desc before choosing option) 2 6.3%
Visual Memory - weak and dim or variable dep on situation (See below for desc before choosing option No votes 0%
Taste Memory No votes 0%
Touch Memory 5 15.6%
Smell Memory 1 3.1%
Music Memory (songs, sung or musician performed) 11 34.4%
Word memory (spoken) - quotes, performances 4 12.5%
Word memory (written print) No votes 0%
Hearing memory (people's voices) 3 9.4%
None of the above (only if you never remember anything) 6 18.8%
Total number of voters: 31 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Memory Qualities

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1710

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
So some people say that they have certain types of memory and I got curious as to if there is a pattern to it or not. Perhaps we will only one thing in common, perhaps more.

I should mention that the two Visual Memory options relates ONLY TO MEMORY and not to the mind's eye. Not if you can visualize things, but if you can remember that you did see something.

None of the above: Only click that one if you never remember you've tasted/smelled/touched something before. If you remember that you have smelled/heard something before, REGARDLESS of if you don't remember anything else about how or why you do, then you do have that memory.

I have probably missed something but I don't think a detailed scientific poll is called for quite yet. So hopefully this covers all the basics and then some.
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Cacille.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1713

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
to be honest i don't know because when i see someone smell etc i then know i knew it but don't always know without the stimulus that i did if that makes sense to others as it did to me; no doubt nathan or thomas will be able to put that better inot words.

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1717

• Linden
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
None of these?

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1720

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
Then you have the memories of smell/seeing, but not any other details. My poll is for the direct memory, not all of the details about how or why or when or anything else about how you remember it.

For example, I have hearing memory, but not touch memory and my visual memory is as vague and dim as my mind's eye.
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1721

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
Added the poll, but be careful. I'm not asking if you remember the how or why or when, but if you have the memory ability at all. For example, if you never remember songs you've heard, things you've seen, smells you've smelled, tastes you've tasted, etc. How would you know if you liked chocolate, or how would you remember your loved one's favorite perfume smell or etc? Hope this makes sense.

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1723

• Mike_M
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 18
Cacille wrote:
I should mention that the two Visual Memory options relates ONLY TO MEMORY and not to the mind's eye. Not if you can visualize things, but if you can remember that you did see something.

Hi Cacille, I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean by 'visual memory' if it's not the mind's eye. Are you just talking about ordinary memory here? i.e I might remember that I went out for a meal last night, and remember what I had for dinner, and the name of the restaurant, but be unable to visualise the place or the food in my mind's eye. Unless I spent the whole night with my eyes shut, presumably I could actually see while I was there. So am I remembering that I saw something or not? I'm confused!

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1725

• Linden
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Cacille, I'm not clear what you mean either, can you explain further. I can't visualise or re-imagine any sense... sound, taste, touch, aural (there's another poll about that). However I can remember doing all of them.
I know what I like ... which foods, music and places. I know I'd rather run my hand over something smooth than a piece of sandpaper. I could do a basic drawing of most things from memory though i can't 'see' them.

When you say you can't remember touch, do you mean you can't remember the feeling it invoked in you? In order to know that touch is even a thing you would have to remember it!?? Does everything feel like it's a new sensation, like you are seeing everything for the first time always?
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Linden.

Memory Qualities 3 years 8 months ago #1726

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
i am more confused by what you mean now as well. i thought you mean can i rememer smell etc in the same waay as visulaition. if this is the case then no if you mean an i rationlise in words that chocolate smells and tastes good then yes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W

Memory Qualities 3 years 5 months ago #2252

• Caldonia.Frank
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I chose hearing memory with people's voices, but I really only remember the situation and the gist of what was said.

Memory Qualities 1 year 7 months ago #39530

• chris_73
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I’ve got a terrible memory of specific visuals. Like what colour or shapes brush is. But a great memory for emotional events and of where things are in the house. Like Even if I don’t remember that my kids comb is on her top shelf, I’ll remember that it is somewhere head height. Or that only the handle is visible because a book is on top of it.
I also never forget a process or how something works but I’ll forget what that process is called.

Memory Qualities 1 year 6 months ago #39593

• clarity5
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
It is really confusing! Over many years I have worked out different pieces of my memory puzzle, still a way to go but things are at last getting clearer. What I have learnt, that may be helpful, is that there are two different types of memory.

Semantic memory allows you to remember general facts such as who you are, where you live, what you have done in general, episodic memory allows you to remember specific experiences i.e., unique, specific in time and space, and detailed. Episodic memory is part of autobiographical memory, the memory of your life.

I have a semantic memory, as to episodic memory, I have been aware for years that I don't have the filing system of episodic memories that people normally have. Eg the question "What is your first memory" is very confusing, it normally leads me to ask "what exactly is a memory?" I don't recall specific experiences rooted in time and place. I often wondered if this was to do with my lack of ability to visualise or to bring any other senses (audio, tactile etc) to mind.

Then the other day I came across the term autonoetic consciousness, which is defined as "The ability to mentally travel back through time and re-experience the source of acquisition"

As one research paper put it:
"Episodic memory is identified with autonoetic consciousness, which gives rise to remembering in the sense of self-recollection in the mental re-enactment of previous events at which one was present. Autonoetic consciousness is distinguished from noetic consciousness, which gives rise to awareness of the past that is limited to feelings of familiarity or knowing. Noetic consciousness is identified not with episodic but with semantic memory which involves general knowledge"

Researchers make a distinction between remembering something and knowing something.

So when we know chocolate is sweet and tasty that is semantic memory, an episodic memory would enable us to re-experience the taste, texture, the restaurant we were in when we tasted it etc etc.

So does this mean that everyone with aphantasia must struggle with episodic memory?

Memory Qualities 1 year 6 months ago #39595

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
chris_73 wrote:
I’ve got a terrible memory of specific visuals. Like what colour or shapes brush is. But a great memory for emotional events and of where things are in the house. Like Even if I don’t remember that my kids comb is on her top shelf, I’ll remember that it is somewhere head height. Or that only the handle is visible because a book is on top of it.
I also never forget a process or how something works but I’ll forget what that process is called.

I think I finally have made my hubby understand that memories have to have a high emotional value for me to remember. Up until now he always thought I just don't care.

Memory Qualities 1 year 6 months ago #39596

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
clarity5 wrote:
It is really confusing! Over many years I have worked out different pieces of my memory puzzle, still a way to go but things are at last getting clearer. What I have learnt, that may be helpful, is that there are two different types of memory.

Semantic memory allows you to remember general facts such as who you are, where you live, what you have done in general, episodic memory allows you to remember specific experiences i.e., unique, specific in time and space, and detailed. Episodic memory is part of autobiographical memory, the memory of your life.

I have a semantic memory, as to episodic memory, I have been aware for years that I don't have the filing system of episodic memories that people normally have. Eg the question "What is your first memory" is very confusing, it normally leads me to ask "what exactly is a memory?" I don't recall specific experiences rooted in time and place. I often wondered if this was to do with my lack of ability to visualise or to bring any other senses (audio, tactile etc) to mind.

Then the other day I came across the term autonoetic consciousness, which is defined as "The ability to mentally travel back through time and re-experience the source of acquisition"

As one research paper put it:
"Episodic memory is identified with autonoetic consciousness, which gives rise to remembering in the sense of self-recollection in the mental re-enactment of previous events at which one was present. Autonoetic consciousness is distinguished from noetic consciousness, which gives rise to awareness of the past that is limited to feelings of familiarity or knowing. Noetic consciousness is identified not with episodic but with semantic memory which involves general knowledge"

Researchers make a distinction between remembering something and knowing something.

So when we know chocolate is sweet and tasty that is semantic memory, an episodic memory would enable us to re-experience the taste, texture, the restaurant we were in when we tasted it etc etc.

So does this mean that everyone with aphantasia must struggle with episodic memory?

I have very episodic memory, mostly attached to negative.

Memory Qualities 1 year 6 months ago #39597

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
phoenixmoon wrote:
i am more confused by what you mean now as well. i thought you mean can i rememer smell etc in the same waay as visulaition. if this is the case then no if you mean an i rationlise in words that chocolate smells and tastes good then yes

I know I like the smell of some things, and I know it when I smell it. I cannot feel what sand feels like, except gritty, just a word.

Memory Qualities 1 year 3 months ago #39883

• Sekhmet
  • New Aphantasiac
  • I'm a visual artist with no ability to visualize..
  • Thank you received: 22
I have strong touch memory and imagination

I can remember visuals in a conceptual way... the sky was blue, the grass was green... I can't see it, but I can recall they were these colors.
And I've been pretty good with written words, remember lyrics to songs is very easy, though remember things spoken to me is not a strength I think.
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds