Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to ask a question or start a poll, do it here.

Poll: Once you decide to sleep, do you usually fall asleep...

...within in a few minutes. 31 33.3%
...within twenty minutes 17 18.3%
...within an hour 12 12.9%
Can't get to sleep easily, toss and turn for ages. 33 35.5%
Total number of voters: 93 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Do you fall asleep quickly?

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1227

• Linden
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
See poll at top! I fall asleep almost straight away once I decide to.
I guess cos I'm not distracted by visualisations.
How about you? Please complete the poll above.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1228

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
i have put almost straight away as its the higher percentage of times

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1237

• Chester
  • New Aphantasiac
This makes perfect sense Linden: no pictures, no distractions = quick sleepy-time. Which makes me wonder why my misses demands complete darkness to sleep as surely she still has stuff going on in her minds-eye? I'll ask later :unsure:

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1240

• Thomas
  • Administrator
  • Non Visualiser
  • Thank you received: 90
I usually go on my phone for about 10 minutes then fall off straight away.
If you need anything just Send me a Private Message

Please don't be afraid, Make a Suggestion to Improve Our Community

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1243

• Shade55
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
I find I take a while to fall asleep, I'm always distracted by thinking about so much, and I also usually manage to find something that makes me curious, and then that bothers me, because I want to know things about it, but I also know that using my phone or laptop to look it up won't exactly help with sleeping either.

Another thing I commonly think about in the evening is that I always find myself wondering what other people think,hiw they're minds work? Do they think in a similar way to me? Do they hear their voice in they're head when they think?

So no, I don't fit it particularly easy to fall asleep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kollarbones

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1249

• holodude
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
When I was much younger, my family gave me a nickname of "he who never sleeps" because on vacation I'd be tired, and go lay down and try to nap - but feel like I never did, and claim that I didn't sleep even though hours had passed. To this day, unlike my dad, I just cannot nap during the day unless I haven't slept the night before.

Now I typically fall asleep within about an hour, and proceed to dream vividly at least 3 times per night (waking up each time). It would be nice to actually sleep through the night for once, but c'est la vie. Even if my mind is perfectly calm, it just sits there and refuses to fall asleep. I seem to have to catch a thought wave that I experience but am unaware of. Being consciously aware of what is going through my head as I try to sleep keeps me awake. It is hard to learn to let go, and just ride the thoughts that come - no matter how bizarre they are - and fall asleep.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1256

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
As a child I slept 3 to 4 hours a night for the first 5 years of my life. Now I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, during a sleep study it was noted I never entered REM that night at all. Falling asleep is hard because my brain does not like to shut down, put me in a nice dark place with low stimuli and my brain comes to life, it reels with ideas and possibilities and I must use a lot of cognitive tricks to focus myself for sleeping, listening to music helps and engaging in unrealistic fantasizing (not sexual) helps, because the more I let my brain tackle real problems, the less likely I am to lull myself to sleep.

On top of that, I am hyper-tactile, I feel ever snag in the fabric of the sheet, if there is cat fur I feel it, if there are small particles of dirt I feel it, and I would probably do fairly well on the "Princess and the Pea" test. Pain from pressure and maintaining one position too long will wake me up, so I toss and turn all night, it is very hard for me to get a good nights sleep. In many ways if left to my own devices I would prefer a series of naps instead of the more classic sleep cycle, when I lay down for a nap I seem to fall asleep faster and experience more intense dreams, but then after my first waking from pain I can get up and move along with other things.

Guess I have a pretty complex relationship with sleep amongst so many other things.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1288

• jane_2
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I seem to take forever. I feel sleepy turn the light off and snap my brain starts churning everything! Although I'm sure I dream I rarely remember them.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1389

• firemonkey
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
Without Kalms(OTC sleep remedy) I can take hours to get off . With it I am asleep within an hour or so. Tend to wake frequently though.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 8 months ago #1404

• ghashul
  • New Aphantasiac
I have had problems sleeping most of my life. I can lie and think of nothing, and still not fall asleep.

Recently I've been sleeping better, but that's because my current job is more physical than what I've done before.

My lack of images have definitely not been a boon for sleeping

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 5 months ago #2130

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I use to be able to get to sleep within 30 minutes but now that I take meds for anxiety and depression I normal don't sleep at all unless I take prescription sleep meds but even then that doesn't work. Of course after the third or fourth night my body is pretty much done with being awake and usually I end up getting my sleep. I literally will be lying in bed not thinking about anything and don't sleep. It is so frustrating. A recent girlfriend asked me why I was still awake everytime she woke up in the middle of the night (she suffered from sleep issues too. She would wake up often throughout the night) I told her I couldn't get to sleep and she said "awww, I'm sorry you can't shut your brain off." I didn't understand what she meant until a few days later. A case of a racing mind. I don't get that when I try to sleep. I learned early off if I have a semi important thought when trying to sleep I would just write it down so it wouldn't occupy my thoughts and keep me up.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 5 months ago #2151

• MiM
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
I don't really know how to answer that poll. In the evening I usually fall asleep "before the head hits the pillow", but then I wake up later at night and can lay awake for long distressful hours. Especially if there is light or noise in the room, or if there is stress in my life.

I don't think it has anything to do with visualization.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 5 months ago #2152

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 35
I remember having trouble sleeping as a child. It used to take me a couple of hours at least to get to sleep and I'd often only sleep for 3-5 hours a night.
Once asleep I've always slept very deeply, I can sleep through thunder, loud bangs and even people jumping on my bed. :P

For the past few years I've been able to sleep very quickly though.
Occasionally I do have a hard time getting to sleep, there are nights when I have so many words running through my mind it's hard to switch off. However those nights are fairly rare these days.

Last year I was diagnosed with MS and while I can't be sure, I think the MS may currently be 'helping' with my sleep. Fatigue is a common symptom for me and by the end of the day I'm usually feeling it. I go to bed earlier then I used to, and sleep for longer (at least 8 hours, usually more).
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Velvet.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 5 months ago #2210

• kollarbones
  • New Aphantasiac
I don't think aphantasia has anything to do with it. I can't visualise anything, ever, but I still have an incredibly active mind. It loves to come to life when I'm trying to sleep, racing from topic to topic, almost like having a constant conversation with myself in my mind. I've struggled with sleep for as long as I can remember. I toss and turn for hours, even when I'm exhausted. I end up getting myself so distressed about not being able to fall asleep that it just makes it worse. So yeah, sleeping isn't easy for me.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 5 months ago #2212

• Patty9usa
  • New Aphantasiac
My brain is always on the go, including when I want to go to sleep. And, like others said, if I get an idea or thought that I want to remember, I have to write it down or my mind will not shut down but rather will keep going back to that thought. I have found a way to trick mind into shutting down to go to sleep. I play "white noise" of running water such as ocean waves, a running creek or river, rain, etc, with steady night sounds such as crickets, etc. It can't be anything inconsistent (like music); otherwise, I find myself waiting for any inconsistent.notes, words, etc.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 2 months ago #2670

• KRamis
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Typically I fall asleep in a few minutes. Sometimes I do guided meditations, without the visual of course. I work shift work (12 hr shift rotating from days to nights) so I pretty much stay tired. After 6 hrs I have to get up or I start to get stiff. The only time I have trouble sleeping is when I'm hypomanic, my brain will not shut down and I may not sleep for a couple of days. Also If I have a stuffy nose I'll have a problem as I use a CPAP to sleep. If I breath through my mouth I'll snore and wake myself up.
I do not see things in my mind and I'm okay with that.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 2 months ago #2702

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
I usually don't even bother to attempt to go to bed until I'm pretty much falling asleep sitting up. I don't get to "decide to sleep". :( My boyfriend can pretty much sleep whenever... Now in this relationship I try to go to bed when he does, as he works such long hours it's like some of the only time I have to be near him, but that pretty much just means me laying there trying to sleep and failing, I can lay there for hours... also don't sleep through the night... Argh. When I lay there trying to sleep my mind ends up wandering, especially if I have things to worry about. So, when single I pretty much just stayed up till I was falling asleep. :P Sometimes that meant I only got a couple hours sleep for work. <_< Now it would just mean I don't get as much close-time with the man.
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 2 months ago #2709

• Raven
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 13
I have difficulty deciding I want to go to sleep, because my energy level is frequently so high. I regularly stay awake skipping a night of sleep. However, once I do decide to go to sleep, it is usually extremely easy and quick.

Edit:
I can almost never take naps, too hard to shut the brain down when I haven't been awake for long. Once asleep, my body doesn't want to get back up for hours. The few times I've had successful naps it was an amazing experience and I felt super energized after, I just wish I could choose to nap. Now that I have a 3 year old daughter, sometimes I will fall asleep when she falls asleep, it's hard to resist that.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Raven.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 1 month ago #2776

• Jared77
  • New Aphantasiac
I can't get to sleep easily without alcohol. I have too many thoughts in my head to fall asleep easily.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 1 month ago #2816

• Myst
  • New Aphantasiac
I can't fall asleep without reading. I need to read until my eyes start to lose focus (which is normally for 30 - 60mins) then I can fall asleep fairly quickly.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 3 weeks ago #2986

• Sophie
  • New Aphantasiac
  • What am I supposed to write here?
  • Thank you received: 10
For me it takes a long time to fall asleep (Im thinking to much about everything, maybe cause of the depressions) and even during the night I often wake up several times due to nightmares.
Some how my brain process almost all my memories in nightmares so it can happen that Ill have up to four one night.

Do you fall asleep quickly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #3107

• jtyne
  • New Aphantasiac
Interesting comment...I was going to say the opposite.

Reading keeps me up where it seems to put most people to sleep. I had thought that perhaps the images created by reading led easily into dreaming.

I guess there is no pattern here.
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds