Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tattooing

Tattooing 1 year 6 months ago #4658

• Kc99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm 17 and I just got a tattooing apprenticeship after I showed a shop my drawings .. This is a massive achievement for me considering I can't visualise anything , most of my drawings are done by photos on the Internet and then I change them in my own way but only by a little bit .. I'm afraid that my aphantasia is going to effect my ability to tattoo .. Most the tattoos I have the tattooist doesn't even have to look at anything to do it he just does it from his mind .. Knowing that I will never be able to do that scares me about how my career will go.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tattooing 3 months 1 day ago #39950

I am in the same boat! I would love to get an apprenticeship, but the lack of visualizing holds me back. Though I do take commissions from people for artwork. I find having an idea of what they want, a style, a thing, wording, helps. I feel like I have a catalog in my head. Something I can flip through and 'feel' its like I know what is suppose to be on that page, 'a swirl up here, a line over there, a word kinda curly over all of that' type of thing. I doodle a lot for that reason. The challenges of 'draw something with this theme' always are fun and I find helpful.

Tattooing 2 months 4 weeks ago #39955

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I have absolutely no experience in the tattoo industry. I have received quite a few tattoos, and have built a homemade machine with which I tattooed myself.
Assuming you have developed your art TECHNIQUE to the point that a shop has offered you a spot as an apprentice, then isn't that validation of your skill? Take that as validation that you CAN develop a skill despite your aphantasia
That being said: Almost every tattoo I have, then went to a transfer sheet to my skin. The artist then worked on that, essentially tracing, at least for line work. Fills and shading is a whole different skill, but the point is that you can learn to tattoo.

Don't be worried about the creative side, it sounds like you have your art techniques worked out. Besides, I have to guess that the number of "basic" tattoos you will work on will far outnumber the more creatively exciting pieces for a while haha

GOOD LUCK!! id like to see some of your work when you get there.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds