Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aphantasia and concept art.

Aphantasia and concept art. 1 year 5 months ago #3218

• Or1s
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello everyone. First - sorry for my english. Im from Russia and my english... yep, it is very bad )
I'm 26 and I learned about aphantasia a couple of days ago. Until then, I never thought about the different ways of be the creative.
I love draw from childhood. And I have never experienced any difficulties with this, despite the inability to imagine the picture.
I am currently working concept artist in the gaming industry ) About 5 or 6 years.

Some of my art - or1s.deviantart.com/gallery/

There are mainly old works, and pictures painted as a hobby ... Because NDA and i don't have right to demonstrate my actual work.
But maybe this will be interest for someone )

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ussfa344, MySheep

Aphantasia and concept art. 1 year 5 months ago #3550

• MySheep
  • New Aphantasiac
Great works!
I'd like to ask some questions.
1.How did you know how the shading will look if you can't visualize? Do you think in term of surface angle in relation to light and just assign a value to that plane?
2.Do you think your skill improve slower than your peer?
3.How did you come up with your design without visual memory? Laying a lot of reference pic around and try mixing thing up?

Aphantasia and concept art. 1 year 5 months ago #3562

• Sekhmet
  • New Aphantasiac
  • I'm a visual artist with no ability to visualize..
  • Thank you received: 20
First, Shading and knowing how light falls on something is a logical concept... a form of knowledge, not something you have to see in your head. Anyone properly taught the concept can do it, with or without mental visuals.

Second, Nice work! I love the first one especially. Aphantasia definitely doesn't seem to be a hinderance.

and Yay! More Aphantasiac artists!
I've been drawing since childhood, always seemed ahead of the other kids drawing skills too.
Went to art school, struggled just as hard as everyone else under a brutal workload.
Been working in games for the past 7 years doing 2-d animation, illustration, and user interface design.

If anything aphantasia helped me become an artist in a weird way... and sometimes my concept art drawings surprise me... I don't necessarily know exactly what I'm drawing when I start, helps with creativity sometimes, less inhibited.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Sekhmet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MySheep

Aphantasia and concept art. 1 year 5 months ago #3599

• Or1s
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
MySheep wrote:
Great works!
I'd like to ask some questions.
1.How did you know how the shading will look if you can't visualize? Do you think in term of surface angle in relation to light and just assign a value to that plane?
2.Do you think your skill improve slower than your peer?
3.How did you come up with your design without visual memory? Laying a lot of reference pic around and try mixing thing up?

Thanks. Sorry for slow answer )
1. Shading and lighting it is a physics. If you know (understand) how it works - you can draw it. Sometimes i use reference image and just repeat or continuit some part of it... but this is a classic matte painting trick and it used by lots of not aphantasia artist )
2. I dont thing so. But drawing, like and over arts, is really individual. I know artists whose skill improved more faster, and know whose skill improved slower... I think i middle of this )
3. I use lot of reference - right. But its not all. I'm trying to remember the details and what they give the visual effect. I'll try to give a rough example. I know that the image of a gothic castle on the hill in the fog with a cold bluish light of the full moon (ideally without the stars, because they can win the attention ... let's say a heavy storm clouds) has the effect of mystery, danger and clearly associated with vampires and similar mythology. Yep castlevania style.
I do not necessarily see (represent) a picture. I remember what kind of effect on me made similar works, which elements are most important to them. So if I need to achieve the effect of the mysterious castle of the monsters I know what it takes to start)
It seems to me that in some situations, I work more slowly other artists. This is due to the fact that I make more preparatory work. But the process is the same as that of artists without aphantasia. But if they can present a picture in head, i have to draw it on paper ) So ton of scetches )
Sometimes I draw separate projections with a view from above, from the side or under the simple angle and I build on them the position of objects, camera and light. Just to think about the most appropriate frame composition )
But as Sekhmet said, in this there are also advantages. But for me in another way. For example I just adapt to the different requirements, change styles. I'm good at draw machinery as I used to think of the functional mechanisms in detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MySheep

Aphantasia and concept art. 1 year 5 months ago #3600

• MySheep
  • New Aphantasiac
Thanks for the answer. Your input is really helpful. Teachers always force me to do a life drawing so my brain can build a visual memory library for use in conceptart. But I don't have that damn visual memory to recall like other student so I'm really frustrated. You just prove that there are some solutions to this problem.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds