Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can I learn to draw?

Can I learn to draw? 9 months 11 hours ago #39936

• Katlabionda
  • New Aphantasiac
I’ve never been able to draw and wondered if this was because I can’t see anything in my head. I’ve looked at a few drawing classes that promise everyone can learn to draw but I can’t help thinking I’d never be able to make graphic art without being able to visualize it. Has anyone had any experience in this arena?
Also I have a bit of synesthesia and I’v always felt it was an adaptive measure my brain took to give me a way to think about things without seeing them? Any other synesthetes with aphantasia?

PS it is hugely comforting to read about so many people feeling the same things I do. My wife and I were at a gallery yesterday and looking at some really lovely art and I felt almost like I must be from a different planet because I could never imagine how something like that would start.
It helps knowing I’m not the only one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can I learn to draw? 8 months 4 weeks ago #39941

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 43
Katlabionda wrote:
My wife and I were at a gallery yesterday and looking at some really lovely art and I felt almost like I must be from a different planet because I could never imagine how something like that would start. It helps knowing I’m not the only one.

I have used that same terminology, feeling as though I am "from a different planet," for many years. It captures the sentiment of our isolated world. While I don't have synesthesia, I do have prosopagnosia. I sometimes tell "neuro-normal" people to imagine that they are living in a world where everyone else has a magical power that the person I'm speaking with lacks, such as mind reading or telepathy. Then think about how out of place they would fell. That gives them just a bit of an idea how it might be to live with our conditions. They then acknowledge that they wouldn't like it very much.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Can I learn to draw? 8 months 3 weeks ago #39956

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
@Katlabionda

You CAN learn to draw! It will require learning concepts and techniques. I consider drawing to be using some media to create an image on a surface. If you accept that notion, it demystifies it a bit. From there, you can develop techniques and concepts as rules in an algorithm, ie: build up structures and form with loose geometric shapes while accurately representing the ratios of size, things get smaller in the distance (perspective), darker values are shadows and should be on the opposite side of an object from the light source...and on and on. theres so many yes, but my point is this:

yes it is possible, there are lots of aphant artists. it is up to you to not use aphantasia as an excuse.
however: i do think the creativity side of things is directly related to aphantasia, imagers seem to have an automatically produced image in their mind, and often it can be incongruent with their current situation but leads to insight anyways...haha idk
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds