Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lucid dreaming and aphantasia

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2115

• Aphantlife
  • New Aphantasiac
Greetings, aphant.asia!

My name is Magnus, I'm 19 years old, and since I was 14-15, I have been a lucid dreamer!
Well, I've been practicing it on and off for the past 4-5 years, but I still consider myself knowledgable on the subject.
For those of you who are unaware, lucid dreaming is a dream where you are aware that you are dreaming, allowing you to take controll of the dream, and to do anything you can imagine, like flying, winning the lottery, having conversations with dead relatives or celebrities, creating music etc. If you haven't heard of lucid dreaming before, I suggest you do some research on the internet right now, before reading more. There is tons of information for free on the internet.

As you might imagine, some of the techniques used to induce a lucid dream requires heavy visualization, and as you can imagine, this is quite hard when you have aphantasia. I hadn't heard about this condition until a few weeks ago, and when I come to think about it, all of my lucid dreams have come to me when I tried out techniques that required no visualization whatsoever! Having come to terms with my "diagnosis", I have found great relief, in that I no longer stress my mind focusing too hard on something that is, let's face it, next to impossible to me. I have also chosen to help others in my situation by creating my own blog (www.aphantlife.com), so I can contribute to more research about this phenomena, as well as help fellow lucid dreamers with the same problems. It's still under construction though, so don't pay too much attention to it.

What I want to share with you all is that you all have the ability to not only vizualise, but to experience and live out the visualizations in the dream state. I have been frustrated because I have lacked the ability to intentionally day dream, but during the last few weeks, after coming to terms with having aphantasia, have found some profound benefits of having it. I am more aware and focused on what's happening in my life, as one might say I live more in "the now", and I started spending my waking hours more focused on finding solutions and figuring out my life, while spending my nights dreaming and imagining and experiencing my wildest imaginations. I hope I can help others in my situation in this post, as well as on my blog, after it developes some followers and I create more content.
Do you practise lucid dreaming? Let me know!
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Aphantlife.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2125

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I do practice lucid dreaming. I practice WILD. With plenty of reality checks throughout the day.

Lately I haven't been able to LD but I really haven't been trying either. But when I got my LD music with headphones and I am in the right state of mind and if I get lucky I can have a few lucid dreams each week. Lucky for me I can really good dream recall..so that happened.

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2166

• Aphantlife
  • New Aphantasiac
I have personally had several successful attempts using the SSILD-technique, which I found here: cosmiciron.blogspot.no/2013/01/senses-in...-dream-ssild_16.html
The great thing about SSILD is that it doesn't require the "heavy mind work" or visualizations many WILD-techniques do

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2169

• power731
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
It's impossible for me. Haven't had a single dream in my life that I could remember. I've tried every method to dream but it seems like it's impossible for me to dream at night. Not sure why other people who have aphantasia can dream but I'm just waiting out for science to figure out why I can't dream so that I could dream someday.

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2173

• Aphantlife
  • New Aphantasiac
I'm pretty sure everybody dreams, but some of us just have a harder time remembering them than others. I can recommend turning on an alarm after 4-5 hours of sleep. Maybe you'll wake up while having REM. Let me know how it goes if you try do so

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2174

• power731
  • New Aphantasiac
Well yes I know I do dream sort of but something isn't getting processed in my brain. I wouldn't even call them "dreams" since it's more closer to thought seeing that people can actually interact, think, and use their 5 senses while "dreaming" and I'm still confused on what it is like to dream for other people. Like I said I've tried every single method out there to dream for years but it doesn't work. All my senses are block while sleeping so technically speaking I have not a single experience with mental imagery whatsoever even in my sleep. So yeah my guess is that the people who can dream probably have at least some ability to visualize even if it's microscopic while people like me have absolute zero ability to visualize thus leading me to have no "dreams". I wouldn't even bother trying to dream again as it just leaves me more disappointed and depress that I can't have these amazing things called dreams. If it was possible for me to dream I wouldn't at least remember one dream in my life. I just want to have a better understanding of why I can't dream that's all I want.

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2180

• Aphantlife
  • New Aphantasiac
Interesting, so you have no recollection of mental imagery while dreaming, but is it something like what I try to explain here? aphantlife.com/2015/11/22/memories-and-a-mental-exercise/
Do you sometimes experience hypnagigic imagery when you're transitioning from a waking state to a sleeping state?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2182

• power731
  • New Aphantasiac
I have not remember a single time where I hallucinated once in my lifetime and even have never experienced mental imagery even once in my life. So hypnagogia imagery sounds like mental imagery and from what I've read I've never experienced anything like this as far as I remember. That's why when I get reminded of dreaming in entertainment I usually just skip the parts with dreams segments in them or ignore them because I literally cannot understand dreams and when I think about it just makes me depress and sad that I could never have these things.

You could even wake me up during REM sleep and I guarantee you 100% that I will have no memories of mental imagery during these "dreams". Even things like my own consciousness and my five senses that I use in reality is blocked and only extremely vague memories of feelings stay with me. This only happens when I've set up everything like dream journals, reality checks, waking myself up during REM sleep, so even with all my effort vague feelings is all I get. You could even wake up when I am literally crying in my sleep and I would only have extremely vague memories of feelings in my dream. Usually 99.99% I don't even have this and my last recorded "dream" is around 3-5 months ago.

While yes while I do have "dreams" I wouldn't really call them dreams seeing as how other people experiences seem to be way more then what I have. That's why I gave up months ago trying to dream once I figured out that my ability to dream is severely limited compared to everybody else and it is definitely not worth the effort, depression, and tears trying to chase these things that I could never have. If I do have dreams their more closer to thoughts that aphantasias have. I do believe that this is tied to my aphantasia and I believe that if I were to cure this condition then I can have dreams like other people. I gave up on dreaming and dreaming techniques and I'm just waiting hopefully for a cure for aphantasia to may or may not come someday. Well that and I guess I'm just waiting for to die just like everybody else. Maybe when I die I can finally have my dream to have dreams come true but until then I'll just keep distracting myself with other things besides dreaming to keep me happy in the meantime.

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2190

• Aphantlife
  • New Aphantasiac
That's quite fascinating, but don't let it bring you down! There is plenty of fun to have in waking life as well. I hope you gain the ability to have/remember the visual aspects of dreams at some point. Good luck!

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 11 months ago #2194

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
Aphantlife wrote:
I have personally had several successful attempts using the SSILD-technique, which I found here: cosmiciron.blogspot.no/2013/01/senses-in...-dream-ssild_16.html
The great thing about SSILD is that it doesn't require the "heavy mind work" or visualizations many WILD-techniques do

A new techniques?! SHA-WHEET!

I will try it out. Thanks.

Lucid dreaming and aphantasia 1 year 2 weeks ago #4659

• Wayland
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Traveller in both time and space.
I too struggle to understand "dream" sequences in literary fiction I just don't get the seeing thing. For many years I thought that I did not dream at all but then I realised that the dreams I had were generally dialogues, like having a phone conversation with someone that you could not see.

My mind also goes off in illogical conceptual directions at times when I think I am on the edge of sleep. It's like when you are thinking about how to do something but reality breaks down and your mind doesn't realise that what you are thinking is impossible.

It can lead you to some interesting ideas at times but sadly, most of them are doomed to reality checks when you wake up.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Wayland.
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds