Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Visual art by geometry

Visual art by geometry 2 years 2 months ago #1612

• AlyHillary
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
I can't draw in the typical sense-- no minds eye does affect that one. However, I do make visual art using straight lines on graph or dot paper, and I've actually managed to sell a couple pieces of this sort of art. For example, I did the cover art for the recent book, Typed Words, Loud Voices. So, that is visual art while not having a mind's eye.

What's interesting is that people tend to assume I have some idea what a piece is going to look like before it's done. Nope. While making the art doesn't require a mind's eye, that sort of prediction seems to. At the very least, I can't do it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotty

Visual art by geometry 2 years 2 months ago #1621

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
I failed and failed to create realistic art work I so desperately wanted to "see" that I could conceive of only in descriptions, it made me miserable until I finally stopped trying to be realistic, now I do figurative or abstract, shut off the voice in my head and just let my brain create, the results are fascinating and far more interesting than any attempt I ever made at drawing a DnD character.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Visual art by geometry 2 years 1 month ago #1641

• scotty
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 26
Realism is a real mountain to climb and you not only have to have artistic ability but also some killer technical skills.
I work with a mural company, kind of like professional graffiti and the guy I work with is unbelievable with a rattle can.
He paints huge, photo-realistic portraits that blow your mind.

I think if you want to create images then you should do what you enjoy and what makes you happy.

Visual art by geometry 2 years 1 month ago #1642

• scotty
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 26
AlyHillary wrote:
I can't draw in the typical sense-- no minds eye does affect that one. However, I do make visual art using straight lines on graph or dot paper, and I've actually managed to sell a couple pieces of this sort of art. For example, I did the cover art for the recent book, Typed Words, Loud Voices. So, that is visual art while not having a mind's eye.

What's interesting is that people tend to assume I have some idea what a piece is going to look like before it's done. Nope. While making the art doesn't require a mind's eye, that sort of prediction seems to. At the very least, I can't do it.

Have you ever tried drawing isometrically?

That's pretty much the same thing of working to a grid but the grid is at a 30 degree angle.
You can build up some pretty complex 3D looking images.
I do quite a bit of it and it can be quite therapeutic and you can get quite lost in it.

Visual art by geometry 2 years 1 month ago #1682

• AlyHillary
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
I did a little bit isometric (and other views) as an engineering student, and as long as I have the technical specifications as numbers rather than as what the thing "looks like" I'm good to go.
I was even pretty good at it, since it really was mostly geometry.

Visual art by geometry 1 year 11 months ago #2171

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
I was always good at drawing as a child, and took some life drawing classes in college that were all about drawing what you see. I can draw something pretty accurately if I have a picture, but can't form that picture in my head to draw from, I'm looking at the difference in angle of hard edges formed by contrast in value.
However this last year I found sacred geometry and the drawing of such very comforting and relaxing.
It's all drawn with compass and straightedge. Reading through and drawing these constructions feels mathematical and true, and that appeals to me.

Visual art by geometry 1 year 11 months ago #2179

• PegsAlot
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I recently discovered Zentangle as a meditative art form and am loving the freedom from making my art resemble true life. The repetition and precision appeals to me and allows me to stop the inner dialogue. I find I can lose myself in the focus required for the task at hand rather than worry about what I didn't finish at work, etc. Doing calligraphy is a similar release for me, but there's always the worry lingering in the back of my mind that I'll misspell something.

Visual art by geometry 1 year 11 months ago #2241

• Caldonia.Frank
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I usually just remember what goes where and the shapes that things should be. Then I tinker around until it looks right to me. I generally prefer to do cartoon-y things or anime instead of strict geometry, although I do like to do abstract art.

Visual art by geometry 1 year 4 weeks ago #4615

This is an interesting thread because when I doodle it's always in geometric shapes - mostly I like squares but sometimes triangles.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds