Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What's it like to be unable to visualize things?

What's it like to be unable to visualize things? 1 year 2 months ago #3229

• Derek502
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/st...nable-visualize-mind

The article is mostly referencing Blake Ross' article. I commented to the author on it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sekhmet, missy_73

What's it like to be unable to visualize things? 1 year 1 month ago #3878

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
I would ask, what is it like to visualize things?
generally its not wise to talk to a blind person on sight. So I rarely try to describe conceptual thinking to someone that can think that way.
Best way to put it is... Its about seeing things based on what they are, rather than how they look.

What's it like to be unable to visualize things? 1 year 1 month ago #3889

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
Kiingarian wrote:
I would ask, what is it like to visualize things?.

I'm a strange duck -- a hybrid. I can still visualize a few things I saw before getting shot. It sucks, as I was surrounded by scores of dead bodies so I try not to visualize that at all. I can't visualize new experiences, to include my wife and my last six children. I can still visualize my two children that were born before I got shot. They were six and five years old at the time, and are both in their fifties now. Visualizing is not quite the same as being there. I would guess that it's similar to virtual reality, but I've never experienced VR. It's better than video as you can manipulate what your seeing. I needed to close my eyes to visualize. Now I have conditioned myself to not visualize at all. Besides, I forgot a lot of what I saw in my youth over the past 47 years. I just can't erase the death and destruction -- damn it.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

What's it like to be unable to visualize things? 1 year 1 month ago #3892

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
Wow, I've never known it visual memory, it seems not only based on what you have said, but also from others that Visualizing is more like a torture... for lack of better terms. I'd like to apologize about you being shot, and well, what you saw, and thank you as well. Life is interesting that way.

My cousin came back from the war being a Marine, sadly he took his life. My brother and I found him. He can still see him. I only remember concepts. It bad for him dealing with that as well... for me I found my peace as soon as my family dispersed that night. (being an empath sucks at times like those).

None the less, he taught me about what was war about, so its hard for me to take what government does seriously, so I understand things like war should not exist. On the other hand, Men like you and my cousin stood for something more than oneself. That is deserves more respect than most would truly see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ussfa344
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds