Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thinking without Pictures

Thinking without Pictures 2 years 3 days ago #1686

• Thomas
  • Administrator
  • Non Visualiser
  • Thank you received: 89
Autism is a spectrum disorder, my experiences and my way of thinking will be different to others with ASD. This isn't a definitive answer on the topic of aphantasia and autism, however, it could be viewed as opening the door to discussion on the matter.

Thinking without Pictures
If you need anything just Send me a Private Message

Please don't be afraid, Make a Suggestion to Improve Our Community
Last Edit: 2 years 3 days ago by Thomas.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thinking without Pictures 2 years 3 days ago #1688

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
oh what happened lol i did the test got 0 right and was so sure i was doing really well. my IQ is between 128 and 134 teed about 20 years ago when i had my dyslexia diagnosis done

you explain it really well a t how the words are the decritption etc. i don't think i am on the ASD even though it has been suggested i may be mild Aspergers. just not something i have been interested in pursuing at this point.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 days ago by phoenixmoon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas

Thinking without Pictures 2 years 3 days ago #1690

• sharonq
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Thomas. I also have "mental blindness" but I much prefer your term "thinking without pictures" because as you say the memories are there - it's just sometimes difficult to access them. I too feel like "I am held back behind an opaque window".

I have tested as having an I! of 120 to 140 but struggled in at University because I could do well in some courses and so poorly in others - I didn't realize until much later that most students were using visual memory to answer questions when I had to remember linkages or learn to draw complex diagrams in order to use them in a test - where others just remembered them. I missed 6 and 8 on the spatial awareness test but rushed it a bit as looking at visuals too long tires my brain. I did cheat a bit - but would do the same on a real test - I clipped out the flattened drawing and rotated it until it lined up with one of the visual sides in an answer then can "fold" it one step at a time and check to see if I can find the impossible solution. People will give me directions verbally and if there are more than 2 turns I have to create a map for myself with their directions then I can follow it.

I have neither ASD or ADHD.

If you suggest :"VCR" I get a sense of a generic VCR (on the other side of that glass) - I know it's rough dimensions and how much space it would take up but have no visual for it. Is this one place where you and Temple align - a series of specific VCRs rather than a generic?

I wonder if the images we have are just locked into our subconscious - I know when I dream I see pictures but cannot bring them into my conscious mind.

Thanks for another great articles - always something to think deeply about - and another chance to understand our unique way of thinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas, carol_92

Thinking without Pictures 2 years 3 days ago #1693

• Thomas
  • Administrator
  • Non Visualiser
  • Thank you received: 89
sharonq wrote:
If you suggest :"VCR" I get a sense of a generic VCR (on the other side of that glass) - I know it's rough dimensions and how much space it would take up but have no visual for it. Is this one place where you and Temple align - a series of specific VCRs rather than a generic?

I seem to do both, certain words, I will link to specific things and experiences in my past, some however will be taken as generic. If I think of an item that links to a specific experience, I will remember that first, delve into that, and then alongside that, hold a generic description of the item, size, shape, colour, connections on the rear etc.

sharonq wrote:
Thanks for another great articles - always something to think deeply about - and another chance to understand our unique way of thinking.

Thank you, I hope each article helps to answer a question or at least ask the question for someone else to answer.
If you need anything just Send me a Private Message

Please don't be afraid, Make a Suggestion to Improve Our Community
Last Edit: 2 years 3 days ago by Thomas.

Thinking without Pictures 1 year 9 months ago #2222

• sdegenov
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
My son, who is 21, does have ASD. He has always done what we call "movie-talk", that is, he has memorized Disney movies and can recite them word for word. He has shared that at least 1, sometimes 2 movies are playing in his head almost all the time. He enjoys it, and would prefer to watch the movie(s), and has had to divide his attention between these movie and other things like people talking to him, and school work...all his life. He told me that he can't really turn them off. I have repetitive thoughts also, and songs, but that's more of an OCD thing for me. So here he's seeing movie in his mind's eye all the time, and I can't see a darn thing unless I'm dreaming. Ironic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: carol_92

Thinking without Pictures 1 year 4 months ago #3224

• Sensorium
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
Just did the visual test, got 10/10. Once I fold up the cube in my head I can just spin it around to check against the images. Very fast, except for two of them where I had to double check to make sure I had the diagonal half-black face correctly oriented compared to the others.

Reading this forum is such a mind opener. I can see the little cubes in my head, fold them, unfold them, flip them around like dice. My mind even adds in the sounds and flimsy feel of the cubes (I imagine them as being made out of paper, like I cut them out and taped it up).

Thinking without Pictures 1 year 3 months ago #3309

• livewire
  • New Aphantasiac
About 70 years ago I used to sit on my mother's lap while she sewed clothes on her treadle Singer. As I grew older I learned to make doll clothes, then my own clothes. Over the years I've noticed that I use the skills learned in putting pattern pieces together to form a garment, not because I can visualize the pieces coming together. I'm not sure how I do it, but this ability, or these skills, serve me well in figuring out the mechanics of how things work. I often help my husband, who can visualize, but doesn't understand how something will work as quickly as I do.

These are truly eye-opening articles and comments for me, and yes, I guess that is a bit of a pun!

Thinking without Pictures 1 year 3 months ago #3384

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
I sew a little bit too (mostly little plush). When I was little, and a teen I couldn't comprehend patterns even when I saw them, now somehow I'm a bit more capable. (Actually when I was a kid I tried to make some shorts... but they were like 2D :P) My grandmother sewed.
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by CanISee.
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds