Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can't Understand Aphants OR non-aphants

Can't Understand Aphants OR non-aphants 2 years 11 months ago #3849

• dIGITSpARADE
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Edit to Add:
My apologies in advance, this is kind of disjointed by my headspace is kind of disjointed when I try to think about all this stuff. This is why I probably won't be a philosopher anytime soon. LOL or a psychologist. But, this is a rant section after all, so... there we go...

Having incredibly weak visual skills it is difficult for me to understand persons both with Aphantasia & those without.
I find it deeply and incredibly impossible to try to explain to anyone the way I think/see/visualize
and often wonder if I am just caught in a world of subjective and linguistic conundrums.
I can not fathom the idea that people see things as real as dreams during waking life,
just as well as I can not fathom seeing nothing at all.

Although I only see the blacks of my eyelids when I close my eyes, my thoughts are in a constant battle when my eyes are open.
Always running through my mind are various thoughts which I then conceptualize with images that fly away faster than I could describe.
For instance, as I wrote that last sentence I thought of juice boxes, birds, the ocean, pencils, lines, fingers, keyboard, eyeballs... the only way that I can think to describe these things were that I thought about them all in the back of my head with little images. clipart attached to them but gone before I could ever focus on them and when I try to focus on these background thoughts I get nothing but another tangled web of continual other thoughts.
This is probably why I was diagnosed ADD.
Although i can formulate thoughts and sentences, it is often difficult for me to understand the sentences of parties other than myself because I am not actively doing other things... but... again, I don't know how people without images conceptualize anything and I sure as hell don't understand how people with imagery can conceptualize anything either.

ugh. This is seriously destroying my psyche. I know I've thought about all this before but in much more simplistic terms, like how we all see color- I imagine that we all see color differently sometimes- I imagine that the color that I learned as red someone else may have learned as red but maybe to them it's actually more of a mauve- but... this is a whole different level of subjective perception.
I feel like when some people describe 'seeing' things that's not what they actually mean... as well as when other people say they get no images... If you have a concept of an apple from a memory, is that memory not an image even if it is based in fact and language?

I say 'imagine a red ball' it would be ludicrous to think that someone can ACTUALLY conjure up an image of a red ball, but yet I know what it looks like so I must "see" it- isn't it all about language then? I think that many people who "see" things, "see" them like I can- like, yeah, duh I remember what a red ball looks like. I can't visualize it any more with my eyes open or my eyes closed because it is a concept BUT it is a concept based on a memory or image so therefore I see it. I think it is the same for many people who say they CAN'T visualize- but how do you work from a memory? you know that a ball is red and spherical- therefore, by nature, doesn't that make you understand the concept, which, in turn, is a visualization because that concept is based in imagery?

I don't get it. Maybe I would have had to have two lives- one where I was born blind and another where I was born with vision.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by dIGITSpARADE. Reason: warning on ranting.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't Understand Aphants OR non-aphants 2 years 11 months ago #3852

• dicknose
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
It is hard to actually know how your own brain and thought processes work.
Even harder to describe them, especially with words like "see" or "imagine" that could mean very different thing to different people.

Can't Understand Aphants OR non-aphants 2 years 11 months ago #3853

• dIGITSpARADE
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
right? it sucks. I wish we could all make movies of our minds and dreams sometimes.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds